cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our nightmare trip/blown Jasper Engine

cricco
Explorer
Explorer
It’s been a while since I last posted. My wife and I took our 2006 Monaco Monarch from Massachusetts to the Florida Keys for our anniversary. We purchased the RV 1.5 years ago from Diamond RV in Hatfield, MA. It had a brand new Jasper engine when we got it. It’s an 8.1 liter V8 gas. I broke in the engine per specs, and changed the oil at 450 miles. I then put 4,000 miles on it, using Mobil 1 synthetic. I just changed my oil again, before leaving for Florida. On our way back home, my engine blew a main bearing (that’s the mechanics initial diagnosis) at mile marker 88 I n I-77 in North Carolina. We have Coach-Net, so I thought we would be ok. Wrong. Coach-Net did not get us a tow, and after 3 hours on the side of the road, the State Trooper told me that I needed to move it. I was forced to call a local tow at my own expense. We had it towed to a truck repair center (Blue Ridge Truck Repair) in Virginia. I am now unable to contact them by phone. We drove my toad home, grabbing just our clothing from the RV. It is packed with food and our belongings, in Virginia. I called Jasper, and asked about my warranty. I have about 7,500 miles on this new engine. My warranty papers say 3 years or 100,000 miles. Jasper informed me that because my vehicle is over 1 ton, my warranty expired at 16 months. I owe $40K on the RV. A new engine is $10K. All of my stuff is in the RV. I’m broke. All I can do is pray that Jasper will replace the engine.
28 REPLIES 28

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a crate GM motor in my wife's 09 suburban that had 80k on it. Motor was $3800 and came with a 3 year 36k warranty that ties back to the VIN. Not sure who would think that deminishes the value.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
cricco wrote:
I heard a distinct “Pop”, followed by a puff of white smoke, and grinding metal, like someone tossed a handful of washers into a cylinder. The engine will no longer turn over. I’m certain it’s a catastrophic failure.

Sadly that describes the sound and experience I had when my grand national ate a piston and rod and windowed the block, does not sound good.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
TropicalRV wrote:
Infant mortality of Jasper products doesn't speak well of them. I would never buy any motor vehicle with a replacement engine.

I agree ANY replacement engine is diminished value. Who's going to install one to real factory spec? And a Jasper would be seriously marked down.

It's no different than a collision repair in my opinion. IF I bought one, it would be at a discount.

A high mileage unit with a fresh OEM crate engine might be the exception. But who's going to make that investment? Nobody.

I dunno. I did in my '84. I put a GM Performance truck-spec crate engine in it when the original engine failed. Granted it was used (I prefer "broken in"), but it was the correct GM replacement engine for the rig.

I wouldn't say that ANY replacement engine is diminished value. Actually I would argue that they'd increase the value of a high-mileage rig DEPENDING on the source of the engine. I replaced the engine in our Jeep with one built by a local rebuilder - rebuilt to MOPAR specs. It has a transferable warranty: 3 years, unlimited miles. I read the fine print carefully and beyond forced induction or racing use it has pretty broad coverage. I'd feel good about buying it (if I didn't already own it).

I would agree, however, that companies like Jasper that are spitting them out as fast as they can and who cover themselves with hidden exceptions to their warranty coverage (as alleged by the OP) would result in diminished value.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
TropicalRV wrote:
Infant mortality of Jasper products doesn't speak well of them. I would never buy any motor vehicle with a replacement engine.

I agree ANY replacement engine is diminished value. Who's going to install one to real factory spec? And a Jasper would be seriously marked down.

It's no different than a collision repair in my opinion. IF I bought one, it would be at a discount.

A high mileage unit with a fresh OEM crate engine might be the exception. But who's going to make that investment? Nobody.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
TropicalRV wrote:

So, only original engines are good? Bold statement. When you buy a vehicle, do you verify the engine ID number to make sure it is the original? We all know that manufactures never have an original engine, or transmission failure. I guess that is why they give you a warranty.
Wildmanbaker

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two Jasper motors and one Jasper Transmission. My first Jasper motor (Ford 302) blew a head gasket 300 miles from home towing a TT...engine ran fine, but losing oil...to say nothing of the oil spray all over the Bronco and the TT...install mechanic said to simply buy a few qts of oil add as needed and drive it home. I did...no problems, Jasper stepped up and all was well for the next 7 years of ownership.

The other motor? No problems...3 years ago the transmission for my motorhome. Alls' well.

To the OP....wish you luck. HOWEVER...look at your "Guarantee". Then look at the "EXCEPTIONS". Motorhomes are definitely EXCEPTED. Bummer.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
cricco wrote:
It’s been a while since I last posted. My wife and I took our 2006 Monaco Monarch from Massachusetts to the Florida Keys for our anniversary. We purchased the RV 1.5 years ago from Diamond RV in Hatfield, MA. It had a brand new Jasper engine when we got it. It’s an 8.1 liter V8 gas. I broke in the engine per specs, and changed the oil at 450 miles. I then put 4,000 miles on it, using Mobil 1 synthetic. I just changed my oil again, before leaving for Florida. On our way back home, my engine blew a main bearing (that’s the mechanics initial diagnosis) at mile marker 88 I n I-77 in North Carolina. We have Coach-Net, so I thought we would be ok. Wrong. Coach-Net did not get us a tow, and after 3 hours on the side of the road, the State Trooper told me that I needed to move it. I was forced to call a local tow at my own expense. We had it towed to a truck repair center (Blue Ridge Truck Repair) in Virginia. I am now unable to contact them by phone. We drove my toad home, grabbing just our clothing from the RV. It is packed with food and our belongings, in Virginia. I called Jasper, and asked about my warranty. I have about 7,500 miles on this new engine. My warranty papers say 3 years or 100,000 miles. Jasper informed me that because my vehicle is over 1 ton, my warranty expired at 16 months. I owe $40K on the RV. A new engine is $10K. All of my stuff is in the RV. I’m broke. All I can do is pray that Jasper will replace the engine.

If it helps, per their website, the warranty is for 18 months or 100,000 miles
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1994 Winnebago with Ford F53 engine and the bottom end went so had a Jasper put in and it work like a charm, sold the rig about 2 years later and had NO PROBLEMS with the engine, there was no indication that the warranty was limited due to size of chassis.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It does sound like a catastrophic failure and does not sound like a main bearing failure. You might want to check with Brazels, who are familiar with the two 8.1L engine failures that I previously mentioned. Altho too far away to do the work, they may be able to make some recommendations on your possible solutions and ways to go after whoever is to blame. Talk with Jon Brazel and you will find him very helpful. https://brazelsrv.com/
877-786-1576

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
cricco wrote:
I heard a distinct “Pop”, followed by a puff of white smoke, and grinding metal, like someone tossed a handful of washers into a cylinder. The engine will no longer turn over. I’m certain it’s a catastrophic failure.

That is not the sound of a spun bearing. It would start with knocking and would run that way for quite a while. Eventually it would become a death screech - very loud sound when the bearing material has worn away and you've got metal on metal. If you continue to ignore that, it will eventually seize. All of this could or would be accompanied by loss of power, potential loss of oil and possibly overheating. If none of that happened it sounds like a sudden, catastrophic failure of a piston. That could be for a number of reasons - a foreign object got into the cylinder, valve dropped down, wristpin gave out. My original engine failed this way. It was tough to do a post mortem on the pile of remains but it appears as if the piston had split and come apart - probably from overheating. I found when I put the new engine in that the original radiator was plugged with sediment.

Anyway you're looking at a new engine. It's not likely that one can be rebuilt if it failed in such a manner. If you can't hold Jasper's feet to the fire then your best bet cost-wise might be to find a small, independent shop to install a used engine.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

cricco
Explorer
Explorer

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roadside mechanics have a habit of predicting catastrophic engine failures when they receive an out of town vehicle in for repair. I have to assume that since it was towed in, and NOT running, that it had to be a fantastic "mechanic" that can make a diagnosis without tearing the engine down, or even hearing it run.
Wait until you get a definitive assessment of the actual problem before you panic or start blaming anyone.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Get an actual copy of the written warranty and start reading the details.

You can read the warranty HERE.

I am also lukewarm on Jasper...I had a Jasper trans put in the Suburban when it went, then it blew again 2 1/2 yrs later. Shop said the 4th gear sprag came apart, whatever that means. Jasper honored the warranty, for parts and labor....BUT....their warranty rate is only $65/hr and the shop charged $100/hr. Plus they found that some of the external parts re-used the first time were no good. So even with full undisputed warranty coverage from Jasper, it still cost me $1000 to have it fixed.

The kicker was....so the replacement unit comes with its own 3 yr 100k warranty, right? Noooo.....you only get ONE warranty. The replacement unit is only covered for the 6 months remaining on the original warranty.

If I had it to do over again, I would have had the truck towed to the Chevy dealer and had a GM reman unit installed the first time.