cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bar fridge in storage compartment of a gasser????

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried researching this topic but haven't found any relevant posts. I'm considering trying to install a small bar fridge in one of the awning side storage compartments. I know it may be a little tight due to the restricted height of compartments on a gasser and I'm concerned about having enough air circulation. So, has anyone already done this and have suggestions as how to successfully do it? Has anyone devised a way to increase ventilation in a storage compartment?

The other options I'm considering is just using a higher quality cooler chest for additional cold drinks/water or purchasing one of the 12 volt cooler units. If you have any experiences or suggestions, I'd appreciate it. However, I'm not looking to drop big bucks on a Dometic unit or others that are $500 plus....at least not at this point. We're new owners, and I'm about to pay for new tires and quite a few other odds and ends needed to set up for the near future.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
17 REPLIES 17

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
we have a small 2.7 cuft fridge that we carry under the dinette table and then set up outside under the awning after we get on site. Makes a good table top between the chairs, keeps the beer cold, and keeps the Grandkids from flopping the coach door and letting in all the bugs when they go looking for juice or water.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 4cu Ft fridge that we use for longer trips. It is very light when empty, maybe 30 lbs. We remove the table and stand it between the dinette benches when traveling and sit it outside on Leveling blocks when we arrive at our destination. We always pre-chill the fridge at home before leaving. If it is hot, we run the generator, which is a plus for keeping it cold.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. I think it's time to take some measurements of the compartments and see what small fridges might fit. Having a small fridge would be my first choice. I've always solved the problem of having a cold one ready after traveling by keeping a few drinks in the main fridge that ran off of propane while on the road. I prefer not to run with the generator running but will certainly do it when the coach AC unit is needed in hot weather. Having a generator is certainly a plus with a motorhome....we've used it to beat the heat when packing for a trip and working inside it while parked at the house.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

MrWizard
wildtoad wrote:
In my house I have a small fridge in bar area and it is completely enclosed with perhaps just a 1/2 in all around. Been running that way for 8 years.

yes but that vents into a large room,
the totally enclosed bay of an RV is a lot smaller space
no comparison

keeping cold does not create as much heat as the initial cool down

still what the OP wants to do should work
especially if he leaves the bay open to let the fridge get cold before he closes it for start of the trip

after that open the bay when outside
close the bay when gone and at night
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I took the fridge out of my outdoor kitchen (5th wheel) and replaced it with a cooler. The way to make it REALLY nice is to run a hose off the drain valve so you can just keep feeding drinks and ice in and never have to pull the whole cooler out to dump the water. The drinks are always ice cold and it's super easy. I suppose with the class A that has an inverter and generator at least you can always keep the fridge running. That was one of my annoyances is that the outdoor fridge didn't work while rolling. Nothing like a lukewarm beer after getting setup 🙂

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 1.7 cu. ft. Haier from Walmart and has been in and outside storage bay for 6 years and still cools drinks like the first day. Go for it, it will work for you.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Never tried the Dorm fridge. I did have a 12 volt cooler for drinks. Cooled them some but not to my liking. Currently have a cooler and an ice maker in the storage compartment. This has worked out rather well. When on the road make ice overnight to stock the cooler for the next day. When parked for extended periods it makes enough ice for the cooler as well as some to stock in the freezer for drinks. You probably already have the cooler. Ice maker is around $100. Also use the ice maker at home to fill the freezer with ice for various uses.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I know you did not want a Dometic unit. But for information, I have it installed in the lower compartment. Put in a 120/12 volt power for it. I can leave the compartment door closed it will get warm in the compartment but the Freezer works great. I did add three vents in the compartment wall. When we stop for the winter in TX, I leave the compartment door cracked open. Have been running like this for eight year. No reason why a door unit would not work like this.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several brands of Electric Fridge/coolers that might well do the job for you. Some are 120/12 volt some 12 v only

I have an ENGEL (12/120V) i originally planned to put in the basement. On a slide out. but it's too big so it's inside, I use it as a FREEZER (it gets that cold) High efficiency COMPRESSOR type (Dometic and Norcold sell competing "Coolers")

I also have an Igloo. Thermoelectric. 12 volt only I have a "Vintage" model I use for medical storage on occasion. and for transport of Milk/and such on hot days in the car.

Lots of options.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a small frig in the basement compartment for years. It never seems to be hot. We sometimes leave the door open if it’s hot but haven’t seen much difference in how the frig works.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
When "On Site" , you can always leave the door open a bit , so I can stop by for a cold one! I had a SANYO from Costco in my other DP , worked great. Just measure first what will fit.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
In a previous coach, we had a small fridge, compressor type, in a closed pass-through compartment and used it that way for 3 years with no problems. on our present coach, we have a Dometic compressor freezer in a closed in pass-through compartment and it has been fine for 4 years, with no additional venting. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my house I have a small fridge in bar area and it is completely enclosed with perhaps just a 1/2 in all around. Been running that way for 8 years.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed a small dorm fridge/freezer in the front storage of a 5er and it worked extremely well. Obviously AC only so when plugged in the 5er for the night everything cooled/froze and could then travel 8-10 hours a day and still have ice cubes at end of day. Plugged in again overnight and all good. 5er may have more 'vent space' than A but it should still work.