cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

back up camera recommendations

ctim
Explorer
Explorer
We have 24ft, Thor 22E. It did not come equipped with a back-up camera, and we would like to have one installed. It would be nice to have side cameras too, but that's not essential.
Would like to have your input.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The one in post 2 looks nice. I lucked out and got one recommended on RV.net a couple years ago which I can no longer find on eBay. It had lines inserted at the camera (or not, two video outputs). The lines are very helpful for distance perception and where the back end will be if I back up another few feet. A 7 inch display is nice; larger would cause serious problems for mounting on our C. I have the camera high up mounted just inside the back window looking down so I can just see a bit of
the spare wheel on the bumper. I find this much more useful than the view from the license plate. In fact the backing up camera is enormously helpful. You will love it. If you tow anything, be sure to wire it so you can look behind while on the highway.

Having used both, the wired one has no interference while the wireless one has some. I now have the smaller wireless one looking sideways on the driverโ€™s side but it isnโ€™t very useful. I have trouble interpreting what Iโ€™m seeing because it isnโ€™t a view Iโ€™m experienced with like the rear view being like a mirror.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a good backup camera,I recommend Haloview.Haloview backup camera has good image effect,720P high resolution,4 IR LEDs enable night vision up to 32ft,wireless camera IP69K waterproof level,smart IR-CUT filter makes image more realistic.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I grabbed a camera and screen / cable of aliexpress, and , as I hard wired it in as well to my running lights as I find it nice to see who is behind when driving .

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I had one on my truck & trialer that was destrye din an accident. Plannign to install anothe rin my class C. I will hard wire it by runnign cable along the underside. On my trialer I rn the wire in a small conduit up the laddr. This rig doe snot have oen so I will use a stick on conduit so it looks relativeley neat. I hung the 7 inch monitor on my rear view mirror which does noto do anythign in this rig except show the interior. Doing it all myself cost less than $100. I have the camera on all the time, not just backing up. You can pull 12v off riding lights, you just have to drive with the parking lights on.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted the camera inside, looking through the rear window at its top. For power I used telephone cable, 4 small wires. I needed three wires to carry unstitched and switched power for part of the run to the driverโ€™s seat. Ran along the top of the Windowโ€™s curtain holder, down into the dinette seat box where house 12 V power is available , then following water pipes etc at floor level under cupboards to driverโ€™s seat where I mounted the power switch for both camera and monitor. Under a trim piece ar top of door jam, under the dash to the monitor.

Kbass888
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
I would love to hear some input also on how did you guys run the wires. Drilling ? Where to neatly hide wires?
Thanks

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m looking at This one on Amazon.ca

I bought one on eBay in 2016 after reading a post here. Camera (wired) and 7 inch display with coloured lines indicating distance and path. I really enjoyed it but the camera has suddenly failed. Iโ€™d like to buy another one but cannot find the post giving the link. Anyone remember me writing that the monitor didnโ€™t work with my homemade power supply but did work with a battery? Then I posted about a wonderful 0 to 30 volts ten amp power supply.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Furrion observation version works quite weel. I cant believe I actually said that as they are aligned with Lippert and almost all of Furrions stuff is junk, same as Lipperts. The only things bad are the hopped up price and small screen. The wireless range is quite good. Its never lost signal with the cam and receiver about 50' apart between our trailer and TV.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine here:
http://www.rvcams.com/

Tim was very helpful in choosing the right one:
tim@rvcams.com
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have this one. The video quality is truly high def.
Comes with 66' of cable!
You can add the side cameras, if needed.

Camera
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY