cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help please. Putting in a 50 amp service at home.

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a 50amp service at my house. By looking around on the internerwebs it looks like you use a double pole breaker just like you were putting in a 220v outlet. Is this correct? Does the camper know to pull 110v from each side? I have ordered a surge protector but would like to know before I plug anything in that I am doing it correctly. Thanks.
Brian
42 REPLIES 42

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Yes, it is a 240v outlet, with a ground and a neutral (4 connections total). The RV appliances will draw 120v from either side of the outlet (L1 or L2), depending on the circuit breaker arrangement in your load panel inside the coach.

Whoa, whoa, whoa folks, lets stop the panic here. This above is the correct way to wire the RV outlet. Yes this is a 220v plug, however the cable from the RV to the plug and the RV wiring system is designed to only pull 110v off either side of the 220v outlet. ALL, repeat ALL RV's are 110v and pull 110v from one of two 110v legs on a 220v outlet. Usually, one leg goes to all your 110v outlets in the camper and the other leg goes to the AC.

The wiring size of #10 is too small, I used #6 wire. I wired my 50amp outlet two different times myself. Once a few years back and most recently as a result of installing a new 40X42 building. I had a Journeyman Electrician check my wiring and is was just as it should be. I've run both my AC's off of this outlet with no problems and have not fried anything.

Electricians with NO RV experience do not realize the (2) separate 110V busses are independent and cannot be ganged to make a 220 outlet as in a residential breaker box.

You might want to look at some high end RV's that have 240 volt dryers installed. Just more incorrect information.

The outlet box, that is the subject of this thread, might need a ground wire run to the ground screw of the box depending on codes and models.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Yes, it is a 240v outlet, with a ground and a neutral (4 connections total). The RV appliances will draw 120v from either side of the outlet (L1 or L2), depending on the circuit breaker arrangement in your load panel inside the coach.

This diagram might help:

Whoa, whoa, whoa folks, lets stop the panic here. This above is the correct way to wire the RV outlet. Yes this is a 220v plug, however the cable from the RV to the plug and the RV wiring system is designed to only pull 110v off either side of the 220v outlet. ALL, repeat ALL RV's are 110v and pull 110v from one of two 110v legs on a 220v outlet. Usually, one leg goes to all your 110v outlets in the camper and the other leg goes to the AC.

The wiring size of #10 is too small, I used #6 wire. I wired my 50amp outlet two different times myself. Once a few years back and most recently as a result of installing a new 40X42 building. I had a Journeyman Electrician check my wiring and is was just as it should be. I've run both my AC's off of this outlet with no problems and have not fried anything.

Electricians with NO RV experience do not realize the (2) separate 110V busses are independent and cannot be ganged to make a 220 outlet as in a residential breaker box.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
For those those that jumped on my case earlier, I found the casing off the wire used and here what it says:

6 AWG CU 3 CDR with 10 AWG ground

So by sounds of things, I'm good to go as I thought it was all 10 ga but looks like just the ground wire is. Guy who did the wiring is an electrician and never said it was a no-no.

yep, that is fine the ground wire can be 10 AWG
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
For those those that jumped on my case earlier, I found the casing off the wire used and here what it says:

6 AWG CU 3 CDR with 10 AWG ground

So by sounds of things, I'm good to go as I thought it was all 10 ga but looks like just the ground wire is. Guy who did the wiring is an electrician and never said it was a no-no.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
A 50A RV circuit is 120/240V, 50A, 3 pole, 4 wires, 60 Hz and uses the very common household 50A plug. It is NOT just a 240V circuit.

....aaaaaand the bad advice just keeps coming....it's 2 poles, plus a neutral and a ground, just like every other 50a circuit.

Glad the OP was able to complete the job properly! It would be more helpful for folks to simply suggest "hire a professional", rather than stating a bunch of incorrect info and then saying "I don't know what I'm talking about so you better hire a professional."
Yes sir including your post.

The 50A RV circuit is indeed 3 pole, hot, hot AND neutral plus ground just like every other 120/240V circuits.

It is analogous to the early 2 prong 2 pole household plug. Later the third ground prong was added for safety.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whoever said they had #10 wire with a dual 50 amp breaker, you need to replace it with the dual 30 amp breaker. You risk lighting up the #10 wire with 50 amps. Everything will work the same, except if you draw more than 30 amps you trip the breaker vs burning up #10 wire and maybe your home. Do it, switch to the lower rated dual breaker asp.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yay!!

Tzman4
Explorer
Explorer
:B
Dennis & Patty Martin, Sami & Sassy
2011 F450 KR
2021 Forest River RiverStone Legacy 42FSKG
2020 HD FXST

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer

Brian

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
buck n duck wrote:
I do have pictures but donโ€™t know how to upload them.
http://photoposting.is-great.net/

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
A 50A RV circuit is 120/240V, 50A, 3 pole, 4 wires, 60 Hz and uses the very common household 50A plug. It is NOT just a 240V circuit.

....aaaaaand the bad advice just keeps coming....it's 2 poles, plus a neutral and a ground, just like every other 50a circuit.

Glad the OP was able to complete the job properly! It would be more helpful for folks to simply suggest "hire a professional", rather than stating a bunch of incorrect info and then saying "I don't know what I'm talking about so you better hire a professional."

ga80486
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
buck n duck wrote:
Got it done. Thanks for the help everyone. I do have pictures but donโ€™t know how to upload them.

Listen, if you have to ask how to upload your pictures I think you had better hire a professional. :W:p:B Congrats on getting the job done.

+1.

But does he need a professional photographer or computer tech?

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
buck n duck wrote:
Got it done. Thanks for the help everyone. I do have pictures but donโ€™t know how to upload them.

Listen, if you have to ask how to upload your pictures I think you had better hire a professional. :W:p:B Congrats on getting the job done.

Lol!!! Best post of the thread.
Brian

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
buck n duck wrote: