cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harsh Lighting

jmiller12
Explorer
Explorer
Only my second post so take it easy on me. The lighting in our new 2018 Winnie 2455BHS is very harsh (like hospital lighting). First, how do I get to the bulb itself? I tried to jiggle the plastic lighting cover and it didn't pop off easily so I didn't want to rip it out of the ceiling. Second, does anyone have a bulb they prefer that has more of a soft indoor lighting glow to it, preferably that I can get off Amazon. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When replacing led light fixtures, remember that led lights require proper polarity. If the new fixture does not work, try reversing the wires.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
jmiller12 wrote:
Only my second post so take it easy on me. The lighting in our new 2018 Winnie 2455BHS is very harsh (like hospital lighting). First, how do I get to the bulb itself? I tried to jiggle the plastic lighting cover and it didn't pop off easily so I didn't want to rip it out of the ceiling. Second, does anyone have a bulb they prefer that has more of a soft indoor lighting glow to it, preferably that I can get off Amazon. Thanks.

Looking online, it looks like your trailer has white, oval lights with a switch at the edge of the face of the light.

Those look very similar to the lights that are in my trailer (except mine are black). Mine are made by Jupiter LED Lights. One of my lights went out, and I ordered a replacement. They offer a warm (3100K) version and a daylight version. My trailer came with daylight, and it's too bright for me.

If you are handy, they aren't too difficult to replace. Pop the top off the light (be careful, the screws that hold the light in place can strip out easily), remove the 2 screws that hold the light into the ceiling and rewire the two wires on each light.

The cost of the lights is around $17 apiece plus shipping.

www.jupiterledlighting.com
800-518-4070

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is high intensity LED and it's a newer RV. I only need to turn on one and the entire inside of the RV is totally illuminated.

I did a cheaper alternative to that intense light. I bought a Coleman LED rechargeable portable lamp that has adjustments for low light.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that there are 2 problems:

*the color temp of the LED lights, which may be as high as 5000K. You want 3000 or 2700K (a warmer light.)
*the lack of a diffuser element in the fixture, directly below the light. For some reason the covers are clear, directly below the light, and diffused only on the sides.

So change your lights and/or the fixture covers.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
In a 2018 it is highly unlikely you have bulbs. You have LED fixtures and the options are install a dimmer or change the fixtures to "warm white" LED fixtures.

As for removing the lens, it is impossible to say without a picture.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been installing dimmers so that if I want the bright leds, I can still have them, but also be able to turn them down to a level that is more pleasing.

Dimmer on Amazon
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are the current fixtures LED? How about putting a dimmer on them?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if your light cover is the same as mine, but mine will come off if I squeeze in on the side. That allows the tab on the end to come out. I don't need to use a screwdriver or other tool.

Same goes when putting it back on: squeeze in the side, which "shortens" the piece so that the tab on the end will snap into place.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We find the lighting harsh also, and our rig has 8 lights across the ceiling! I wish we could use 3 at a time, or one over the kitchen, etc. So, I purchased a couple of lamps, and put one on the end table and a small one on the dinette table. There is a small sconce built in also, so those harsh LED lights are rarely on. I also bought a string of lights and hang them across the super kitchen slide. It's in a plastic casing, so it's easy to put up and take down. I use extension cords since outlets are not well placed.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am starting to change over my old light bulbs for LEDs. I went to LED4RV and the guy there was very helpful. We have installed the warm light for most of our lights and they are a perfect match to what we had. In the bathroom we went with a "bright" light and it is much nicer when you are shaving or putting on makeup (the wife says).

In a newer trailer you might not have a fixture with replaceable bulbs. I was looking on replacing the entire fixture and the ones I saw all came as in integrated unit containing small LEDs permanently installed.

On most lights you can access the bulb by pinching the cover inward.

Good luck on finding the right intensity bulb. I can not stand that bright gymnasium look.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Led bulbs come in a variety of color temperatures. They are usually expressed in degrees Kelvin. They are sometime categorized a blue white, bright, warm, natural, and other such terminology. The lower the color temp the more they look like incandescent bulbs.

The reason for the bright light is because TT interiors tend to be dark. You will notice this if you try to read a book.

You can try a 10 pack of bulbs from Amazon fairly cheap. Look under RV light bulbs.

To open a ceiling light most of the time you squeeze the long sides of the clear cover and tilt it down. You need to see what kind of bulb they use.

I have seen a few florescent bulbs in TTs, I am not sure of the color temperature choice with those.

Finally you can delve deep into RV lighting on YouTube.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.