cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic compressor fridge?

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know of a dealership in Socal that has them in Stock so I could look at it?
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't fix what is not broken. When it does break I attempt to upgrade if that is possible.

Kayteg1 wrote:
It is also the other way around.
It is people who spend money on new stuff that bash the older one.
For me if my Dometic fails, I will consider compressor fridge for sure, but I don't see enough advantage in it to spend $1000 just becouse.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
It is also the other way around.
It is people who spend money on new stuff that bash the older one.
For me if my Dometic fails, I will consider compressor fridge for sure, but I don't see enough advantage in it to spend $1000 just becouse.

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Sooner or later somebody will have the same problems with compressor refrigerators.
Each job can be always done in several different ways, but the only thing I have to remember about absorption fridge is to turn it night before loading.
Other than that I have rock hard ice cream.
Is compressor fridge coming with circulating fan?
That is only other issue we face when we pack the fridge.
That reminds me situation with automotive market.
People have been jumping on new cars as having Bluetooths, GPS, high-tech stereo, active CC and blind spot assistance - only to find that very complex technology can leave them stranded and with empty wallet down the road.
Now the old cars are gaining value ๐Ÿ˜‰

I don't think sooner or later I'll have a problem with my compressor refrigerator flame going out, don't think I'll ever have a restriction on 30 degree (from ambient) temp differential, don't think I'll ever have to worry about being off-level, never have to worry about bugs getting into the flame orfice, never have to clean the flame flue of soot again, don't have to worry about ammonia leaks, ----- and I can go on and on and on and on. Look at any RV site on any forum ANYWHERE and look at all of the problems with absorption refers, the pages there are many. Don't ignore the fact that it's been an issue for decades. A weak link in many RV's.

I gotta laugh at how we tend to poo-poo newer technology straight out of the gate as bad just because it's new. Everything (mechanical/electronic) is going to break eventually. Personally I find my 2015 RAM with all of the bells and whistles is vastly superior in all aspects to my 2006 or my 1994 RAM(s). I wouldn't trade back for anything. I feel the same way about my 12V compressor refrigerator. Far superior to any absorption refrigerator I've ever owned and likely I'll never go back.

If you really want to shun technology you could always install the refer I had in my 1980 Six Pac camper -- an ice box. Load a block of ice in it, close the door and viola. It even had a drain tube to the outside of the camper when the ice melted - automatic drain! While we're at it how about a Coleman white gas stove and lantern (although I'm sure those are still widely used).

Just sayin' Don't knock it if you havn't tried it.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:

Frozen lettuce, warm meat, and a whole host of totally unsatisfactory refrigeration.....that's why I bought a compressor refrigerator.
And mine runs quite well on solar panels. I'll never go back to an absorption fridge.

Sooner or later somebody will have the same problems with compressor refrigerators.
Each job can be always done in several different ways, but the only thing I have to remember about absorption fridge is to turn it night before loading.
Other than that I have rock hard ice cream.
Is compressor fridge coming with circulating fan?
That is only other issue we face when we pack the fridge.
That reminds me situation with automotive market.
People have been jumping on new cars as having Bluetooths, GPS, high-tech stereo, active CC and blind spot assistance - only to find that very complex technology can leave them stranded and with empty wallet down the road.
Now the old cars are gaining value ๐Ÿ˜‰

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I bought my Tundra compressor fridge from a marine supplier in Seattle when I lived in Alaska. It may have been Sure Marine Services. I remember the price being quite good. Check the marine suppliers, they have a variety of small compressor fridges.

Sure Marine Services
Thanks, nice site with lots of info.

You're welcome. I've had my Tundra fridge for over 10 years.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Side question, what is with bashing of amonia refrigerators?
When I understand that compressor has its advantage in speed of cooling or working off level, I have been using amonia refrigerators for 30 years and they work just fine.
I posted my test a year ago how well My Dometic is cooling in 125 F weather.
I actually liked the old designs, that would work on propane with no outside power.
This way when I was leaving RV for long time, the master switch was turned to off.
One less thing to worry about.

Frozen lettuce, warm meat, and a whole host of totally unsatisfactory refrigeration.....that's why I bought a compressor refrigerator.
And mine runs quite well on solar panels. I'll never go back to an absorption fridge.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
When I understand that compressor has its advantage in speed of cooling or working off level, I have been using amonia refrigerators for 30 years and they work just fine.
I actually liked the old designs, that would work on propane with no outside power.
This way when I was leaving RV for long time, the master switch was turned to off.

Depends on how you use your camper. My wife and I never stay in the same place two nights in a row. We are always traveling, and above 55 mph, the propane flame in our ammonia fridge in our camper would always blow out. I tried filters on the intake grill, additional shielding around the flame, windbreaks on the roof fridge outlet, and never could get it to stay on above 55 mph. So every evening we would have a fridge temp of 50-55 degrees and a thawing freezer. We prayed that overnight it would cool down enough to give it a head start for the following day warm up. We threw away lots of food that we didn't trust after several days of warm fridge temps.

The compressor fridge gets cold fast and stays cold no matter what speed I drive. And it doesn't use any propane or electricity other than what the solar panels provide. Absolutely perfect for our camper use.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

There are many reasons that the ammonia have a huge do not like crowd. For me in the van it was I do not need propane and the compressor one runs a lot more efficiently on 12V. Also no worry about being level. Still have the ammonia one in the class C and love that one.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic in the Bigfoot has been fine.
The Dometic in the 5th wheel has been a disaster from day 1.
I think the older ones are better.
If we trade 5th wheels I will go to residential or maybe the compressors.
No absorbtion ever again.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want the better prices for Dometic go to the truck shops. Bought mine at a Kenworth dealer and it was less than half the price of the RV dealer for a smaller one. Different sizes but for the price difference I was happy with the size I got!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
I'm still seeing Dometic at about 1K for the CRX1110 where and when did they cut there price 40%? I don't see them at CW around here.

Yeah, that's the rub. Dometic hyped it up at the off season shows, got a bunch of us to buy a couple at a grand a pop, then cut the wholesale price to $600 and change. So the early adopters are selling it for $1200 or so and being undercut by dealers who got the unit for $600 wholesale.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on trhe Isotherm. I bought mine online (from a place in MA) and it was cheaper shipped than from the local West Marine. Mine slid right into the Norcold opening and gave me 25% more refrigerator volume in the same size package. Uses 2.3Amps while running and after it's cold the duty cycle is much less than 50% run time. I calculate that the Isotherm draws about 15-20Amps over a 24 hour period (coincides with srchang above). I have 225Amps of battery. I love that it's advertised that it can run up to 30 degrees off level (not that you'd camp that way but in my driveway while overnight loading I'm at an angle).

I don't think I'll ever go back to an absorption refrigerator again. 12V compressor all t he way.

You're in Joshua Tree - I'm in Oceanside but if you decide you want to go to the beach and get out of the heat - PM me and you can stop by and look at mine.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
We bought an Isotherm compressor fridge from West Marine in Buffalo last year. Chose Isotherm after many hours of researching online. Best investment I've ever made in the camper. I think it was about $1000. Not sure how much 12v electricity it uses, my solar charges the batteries during the day and the fridge runs off the batteries at night. Seems like the batteries end up at 90-95% after running the fridge overnight. I have 250ah of batteries.

Can't believe I suffered with that ammonia fridge for all those years.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC