cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whitehorse Walmart is going to ban overnight RV parking

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Wal-Mart in Whitehorse will be no more by the end of the summer.

Local store officials confirm to the RUSH, the plan is to put up signs prohibiting overnight Recreational Vehicle parking and camping in their lot at the end of August.

Management says they have received a number of customer complaints about having to dodge massive RV's while trying to park, and there's been a lot of garbage left behind.

Wal-Mart's policy on overnight RV parking varies from store to store, and management says many stores across Canada are moving to no overnight camping in their lots.

(From CKRW)
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live
94 REPLIES 94

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, that should do it. Of course the policy will have to be enforced for word to get around.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
This should settle the Walmart situation, this is there policy.

Not really. Pretty sure that notice was already in force several weeks ago, and the manager was actively enforcing it with doorknocks and notices taped to RVs.
Policy mooted for next year is total ban.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:

Sounds fair and understanding. Also gives them the ability to make exceptions as they see fit (ie breakdown).

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad

This should settle the Walmart situation, this is there policy.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like a bad joke.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
AKsilvereagle wrote:
The demographics and regional area of Whitehorse that some people do not realize is that over two thirds of the Yukon population actually live within the immediate area....which stresses the demand on city infrastructure in itself as you do not see Whitehorse growing even more like it should to keep up with demand....

I suggest that you haven't been paying attention. The new community called Whistle Bend is the largest of the recent additions to the City of Whitehorse.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone has a way of splitting the hairs & going "but, but, but". The bottom line is that it is not the responsibility of Walmart or the city of Whitehorse to provide accommodation to any of these people who are effectively squatters.

Camping at Walmart for days prevents access for Walmart shoppers. Camping on the side of Whitehorse streets prevents access to Whitehorse businesses & residents.

Again I am a Walmart overnighter, though never in Whitehorse. I come in late afternoon, park away from the store, slides out & all, go in & get what I need, check with the duty manager or somebody, get some sleep & gone in the not too early morning. What I do is what the typical Walmart overnighter does. I leave without a trace of being there.

I don't have an answer. Perhaps a large area of mostly level ground exists somewhere in the Whitehorse area that these people can use.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reality of this particular Walmart in Whitehorse upon turning into a full fledged refugee camp in the summer months during the recent years as many have mentioned here:

Many Travelers Passing Thru Whitehorse as the Alaska Highway is the Lifeline-

Seasonal Workers That Cannot Afford Rental Properties-

Lack of Resources for 'Reasonable' Priced Lots for the Nomads and Drifters-

Broken Down Vehicles Upon Waiting For Parts and or an Appointment for Repair-

Other Yukoners and Northwest Territories Residents Having to Extend Duration of Stays within Whitehorse Due to Personal, Medical, Government Business, Etc. That Can Barely Afford To Run A Vehicle and Travel Long Distances Let Alone Have A Suitable Place To Stay-

The demographics and regional area of Whitehorse that some people do not realize is that over two thirds of the Yukon population actually live within the immediate area....which stresses the demand on city infrastructure in itself as you do not see Whitehorse growing even more like it should to keep up with demand....

Whitehorse is the central supply hub for all of the Yukon Territory, and Inuvik NWT which is such a massive area to provide....

Whitehorse has to rely on Edmonton and other large cities for their own supply hub, which are pretty far away.

Fairbanks is even much closer to Whitehorse than Edmonton in that respect, however the International Border and 'foreign' goods from the United States would make other Canadian companies and corporations lose out if Fairbanks Alaska would be a main hub supplier for Whitehorse to shed some relief on receiving specialty goods much faster....

People in Whitehorse wait much longer for a part they need for their rig, or goods they specifically need that are not in stock, you get the drift....

In southern Alberta where I stayed at the local government and private organization 'campgrounds' like Lions Club at Red Deer and Rocky Mountain House in the past (which were reasonably priced I might add), I really felt like I was well out of place because of the majority of guests there were year round residents with Alberta plates living in their trucks, vans and RV's as you can tell they were settled there, so yeah you can see the hardships as those areas have much more resources than Whitehorse does.

As the 'typical vacationing RV'er' that we are here, stopping in the Walmart in Whitehorse for an overnighter or a couple days stay to enjoy Whitehorse certainly doesn't hurt as I can certainly speak for all of us here would never stay at a Walmart parking lot for days and weeks on end, however it is a place of business as I agree it sure got out of hand with all the diehards that seek refuge there for long term stays, but the careless ones certainly spoiled it for the others and it has been a long time coming for Whitehorse Walmart to finally stop the practice.

Because of the reasons above that us RV.Net members posted about the situation at hand, it sure helped a lot of people over the years that needed to stay at the Whitehorse Walmart parking lot for an extended time due to the lack of resources and financial hardships.

In 2010 due to the Taylor Highway washouts, a lot of people were glad the Whitehorse Walmart parking lot existed due to the influx of travelers as all the private and government campsites were full.

Before Walmart, I always overnighted along Front St. and 1st Ave. in the past until you could not get a parking spot anymore as everyone else would cram that area.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The other point most seem to be missing on this is good old supply & demand.

If there was a big demand for campsites, someone WOULD build them. A huge portion of the economy in such places is centred around parting tourists from their money.

As I mentioned on another thread here recently I had reason to be in northern Quebec some time back, several of the group going were surprised there were no c/gโ€™s in the area. Our local contact said that was because it was only a few tourists who would want one, everybody else grew up camping anywhere they liked, just off a road next to river or lake, etc., and a c/g held no interest for them.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
If you cannot afford a CG for your multi day, even seasonal, stops, you can't afford the lifestyle.

Often stated but still as irrelevant and untrue now as it was 20 years ago. I CAN afford the campground fees but I'm not crazy so I choose to wallydock and boondock in preference to being jammed into commercial campgrounds unless there is absolutely no choice.
Multiday stops are the same, but obviously there is an opportunity to stay in USFS dispersed campsites, BLM and similar where 14 days are allowed before moving on. Capelas in Anchorage allow 3 nights as does Fred Meyers in Soldotna and there are other walmarts that officially allow 2 or three nights as well. Their property, their choice, so I see no sensible reason for not taking advantage of it if the situation suits.

This is where you will find me

NOT in RV ghettos.

My way of looking at it is I can afford to stay in campgrounds because I don't waste my hard-earned money staying in campgrounds - and see not reason to change
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The multi day "campers" at Walmart will eventually spoil it for the rest of us who stop there in transit, do some shopping & get a little rest & move on the next day.

If you cannot afford a CG for your multi day, even seasonal, stops, you can't afford the lifestyle.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
FYI.................

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/why-are-so-many-motorhomes-parked-at-walmart/wcm/9bedc5b6-b4de-412d-abb7-33911b552276

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whitehorse is just the one weโ€™re talking about, but itโ€™s far from being the only place with the same problem.

There was a tidbit in the local news where my summer place is, a township with a permanent population of about 650 people, but during the summer itโ€™s around 20,000 people. To say that it lacks the infrastructure to support that kind of population is a vast understatement.

A small bedroom in a shared house starts at $500 / month. Folks with a bit of land get upwards (if theyโ€™re within walking distance of jobs) of $1,000 / month for a broken down TT. A local marine came under scrutiny when it was learned that they had filled their winter boat storage yard with a 50 person โ€˜man campโ€™ complete with bath house and kitchen unit.

Numerous local businessmen have tried to get the township to allow them to build large dormitories to house summer staff, it was a non-starter. Even if the goobermint was to consider it, the NIMBYโ€™s would riot in the streets.

No difference IMHO than the โ€˜Walmart effectโ€™ nobody wants to pay a PENNY more than necessary, but at the same time rails against cheap โ€˜made in Chinaโ€™ junk. When was the last time you saw anything except perishable food products that wasnโ€™t offshore stuff?

Nobody wants to pay $20 for a hamburger just because itโ€™s expensive to get seasonal employees either.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
WE-C-USA wrote:
I have agree, it's not Walmart's problem where they go. It's the employers of those seasonal workers to assist finding or provide a place to park their RV.
If that can't happen, then it's up to the city of Whitehorse to respond.

How is where an employee lives the employers or city governments responsibility?
When you remove personal responsibility from the equation, they are all that is left.