cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to forum, just bought my first 5th wheel TT!

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new to the forum. Had a 28' bumper tow previously. Got rid of it when my wife got pregnant as I didn't see us doing much camping over the next few years. My Daughter turns 3 this year and decided a week ago that I didn't want to sit around the house every weekend this summer, and wanted to be out making memories and enjoying time with the family.

Found a 2015 Heartland Gateway used one season and sat the next season a few hours away from me. 41' with 5 slide outs, bunkhouse for the kid, and outdoor kitchen for me. 13k lbs dry weight, 15,500 max. Guy I bought it from paid $77k for it new two years ago, I got it for $29k.

Bunkhouse has two bunks on top, one on each side, under the right side bunk is a leather sofa for watching TV which converts into a third bunk

Living room, dining room, kitchen. Full size fridge. Dining area converts to 2 person double bed. Recliners recline flat

Master bedroom with king bed. Master bath has shower and tub.

As this is my first one, open to any recommendations on what to look out for/check as we go through the first season.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

25 REPLIES 25

orion1968
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why my picture is rotated after tell it the size. The fuse is located next to the plug that goes into the inverter.

orion1968
Explorer
Explorer
Soldier415 wrote:
orion1968 wrote:
There is a separate fuse by the cutoff switch for the inverter. If it is the 1KW inverter I think it was 100amp.

Inside the front compartment near the inverter itself?

Yes

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
orion1968 wrote:
There is a separate fuse by the cutoff switch for the inverter. If it is the 1KW inverter I think it was 100amp.

Inside the front compartment near the inverter itself?

orion1968
Explorer
Explorer

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soldier415 wrote:

Guy I bought it from had his truck squat from rake to level when he hooked up.

And he quit towing it after 1 season.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you and your family get many years of enjoyment out of it. Enjoy!

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Soldier415 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Towing with a 2017 Chevy 2500hd crew cab w/ L5P Duramax"

Who led you to believe that truck can "HANDLE" that load? Sure it can tow it. The pin can easily get to 3,875# at 25%.

Yeah, I need to get it down to the scales.

Guy I bought it from towed it all over with a stock 2015 3/4 GMC duramax
I see this all the time - guys towing huge rigs with 3/4 ton diesel trucks. Saw one coming onto the interstate yesterday squatting so much the the headlights were pointing to the sky - but the OP says he's got air bags so that fixes that - LOL

Not saying that it necessarily fixes it. I installed the airbags before towing as I knew that being level to start with the level kit in the truck instead of the factory rake I would most likely be squatting.

Guy I bought it from had his truck squat from rake to level when he hooked up.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Soldier415 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Who led you to believe that truck can "HANDLE" that load? Sure it can tow it. The pin can easily get to 3,875# at 25%.

I see this all the time - guys towing huge rigs with 3/4 ton diesel trucks. Saw one coming onto the interstate yesterday squatting so much the the headlights were pointing to the sky - but the OP says he's got air bags so that fixes that - LOL
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
You better get some weights on your rig. You are probably over weight on your rear tires of you truck. With a GVWR on the trailer of 15,500 lbs you could be close to 3500 lbs pin weight.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Soldier415 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Inverter wont come on? Bad battery is my first guess. Thats a monster, sure hope you have enough truck. That much rewlly needs a dually to tow it.

Batteries are fine. Inverter comes on, remote switch comes on, but the fridge is not getting power.

Towing with a 2017 Chevy 2500hd crew cab w/ L5P Duramax

Did you check your fuse box?

Yeah. No breakers are tripped.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Soldier415 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Inverter wont come on? Bad battery is my first guess. Thats a monster, sure hope you have enough truck. That much rewlly needs a dually to tow it.

Batteries are fine. Inverter comes on, remote switch comes on, but the fridge is not getting power.

Did you check your fuse box?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote: