cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorola Moto G4

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some months ago a kind poster alerted us to Motorola selling phones at bargain prices. Not the newest greatest mind you, but good phones. I bought one and stuck it in a drawer.
Just recently some of my apps were popping up as my then Moto Maxx phone no longer being compatible. I pulled the new phone out and started using it as it's Android version was compatible. Maybe that was the reason for the price reduction, who knows.
Last week we went out with the camper and I went to set up the TV antenna. I then found out that THERE IS NO COMPASS BUILT IN TO THE NEW PHONE. So much for getting out of the woods or finding your car in the city. An app search came up with no answers as there is evidently no magnetic sensor built into the phone. Until you start moving even GPS won't tell you which way to go.
Point is, check any new purchase.
Puma 30RKSS
3 REPLIES 3

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The word about that phone was probably from me.
I dont watch often tv on the road, (and dont have satellite) so had never needed the phone as a compass. I do use the GPS a lot with google maps, but can always make out something on the map to orient myself and then rotate the phone to match. But I never needed the accuracy to be to that precise.

MrWizard
"Near-field communication (NFC) is a set of communication protocols that enable two electronic devices, one of which is usually a portable device such as a smartphone, to establish communication by bringing them within 4 cm (1.6 in) of each other."

While it can be used for payments, like using an rfid fob for gas

It often used for file transfer between phones, pictures, contact info..Etc
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
That is good advice. Many times the budget phones leave off features like "real" gps, compass, NFC (contactless payment), and other features.

The bummer is none of the chips that power these features really cost all that much at the production level, it's just a way to punish the consumer for being frugal and not buying the super deluxe version.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed