cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wired Rear View Camera ??

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Friends ... Have an older RV that came with a RVS Camera System. However, in need of input from our Forum Family. The RVS camera system appears to be in need of a replacement. A few questions, if you will?

The current system is a wired system. Need a system that can be turn on and operated while traveling as I need to keep track of all vehicles directly behind & up close. Also would like a Wired unit that can clearly detect traffic in after dark driving.

I have a monitor that was nicely installed on dash that can be used to view rear or back up situations. What do our RVers use or suggest I replace this Unit with? Hope this helps? Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much! :)?? KC
14 REPLIES 14

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Iโ€™ve gotten pretty good advice from these folks:

http://www.rvcams.com

3 tons
Those prices are ridiculous! A friend just purchased one (wireless) at Costco for less than $100 and it works fine. Plus, easily returned if unsatisfactory.

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
Wired backup camerasbackup cameras include one long cable, which runs from the back of the camera all the way to the video screen or monitor inside your RV. This cable must be at least as long as the distance between your camera mount and your dashboard.Wireless backup cameras are easier to install compared to wired.Furthermore,Wireless RV backup cameras still offer clear vision during day and night driving conditions, without the need for a cable.So I would choose wireless rear view camera if I were you.Haloview backup cameraHaloview backup camera may be suitable for you.

Adamspf
Explorer
Explorer
Wired rear view camera system has a stable signal transmission, but not easy to install...

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
Since you have an older RV, just upgrade the entire system.

I bought this system a few years ago. It is truly high def.
I wired it so the camera is on all the time. You can also turn it off with a remote fob.

LINK

Same unit I put in our Winnebago. I had to run the new cable as it was different than the one my RV was pre-wired with (2006). I hooked it up to an ignition wire so it's on all the time I'm driving. 3 years and it's been perfect. Pretty good at night too. You can hook up 3 cams to it also.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
my rear view camera is hot wired to the middle clearance light

Good point ... My present wired system has an on - off switch to activate the camera. However, not sure what kind of or type monitor and capabilities are.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

Thanks for the link - I have to look into this further!

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
countrykids wrote:
When we replaced our old (2004) backup camera we went with a wireless unit but used the old wiring to provide power. A switch was installed on the dash to turn power to the camera on or off. The old display was built into the sun visor so that was just disconnected and left alone and the new display set on the dash.

That sounds promising. I have a built in monitor & display in the dash. Not quite sure if I may be able to use a wireless system to my wired system. The wire system has a power switch that turns on the camera.
I presume the camera could be either wired or wireless & hopefully work with the monitor that is present.

Also hopefully be able to adjust the camera .... left right - up down - etc. to center the view on the rear highway.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer

3 tons

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
When we replaced our old (2004) backup camera we went with a wireless unit but used the old wiring to provide power. A switch was installed on the dash to turn power to the camera on or off. The old display was built into the sun visor so that was just disconnected and left alone and the new display set on the dash.
2004 Born Free class c

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
my rear view camera is hot wired to the middle clearance light
Bill and Joey the dog

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
I checked about a new system me time ago, and was told that whatever was installed , there were adapters to allow the new system to use the old cables and plugs. Hope that helps you some. Most systems are wired to be on with the ignition, so that is not a problem. Whenever you are driving, it is on. No need to turn it off. Most larger RV supply stores will have whatever you need, or you can order online.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought about a wireless unit, however from the information you provided, I think it best to replace the RVS camera with a newer model that the unit was originally wired and set up for the RVS. Thanks again! That helps!

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:

I wired it so the camera is on all the time. You can also turn it off with a remote fob.

LINK

Appreciate the link & suggestion. This RVS appears to be a similar but older unit that somebody had wired & installed in the RV. Worked rather nicely for a while. More than likely I'll go with a newer RVS unit. Thank you!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I checked about a new system me time ago, and was told that whatever was installed , there were adapters to allow the new system to use the old cables and plugs. Hope that helps you some. Most systems are wired to be on with the ignition, so that is not a problem. Whenever you are driving, it is on. No need to turn it off. Most larger RV supply stores will have whatever you need, or you can order online.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II

LINK
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY