cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What dash cam do you use?

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
I've been considering getting one for my truck, but when I think about RVing, it makes even more sense.

I know to get one with a capacitor, but it's really hard to tell what is quality and what is not.

Are there any recommendations here for dash cams?
2000 Minnie 31C V10
24 REPLIES 24

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of awesome responses.. thank you! I just spent the last week reading and I even found a co-worker with a spytec/viofo G1W-C to look at his video quality. At 1080p it looked good but it was still too pixelated to read a license plate 30 feet away. So I started looking at higher resolution, 1440p.

With all technology, especially chinese it's hard to find the "truth" and of course nothing is perfect.

I ended up buying a Viofo A119 V2 which should get here by the end of next week and that will give me a week to make sure it works before my trip.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
we use the KDLinks X1. love it.

http://www.kdlinks.com/index.php/home-products/kdlinks-x1-full-hd-165-wide-angle-car-dashboard-camco...

Me too. This cam was recommended on the full-timers forum. I've had it installed for over a year. It's windshield attached behind the rear view mirror. It powers on with the ignition key.

It's pretty much a no-brainer after installed - it just runs 20 or 30 5-minute videos - saving each one until it finally runs out of space and then records over the oldest recording. It claims to shut off automatically if in an accident. I haven't tested that feature yet. The video quality is beautiful. I don't use the GPS recording feature - it could by used against one if one is traveling even a couple of miles over the speed limit.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have one by Blackvue for the front window. They also make them for the back window.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rexing V1. One in each vehicle.
Puma 30RKSS

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
If you want to view scary videos search YouTube for โ€œdash cam videoโ€.

x2 For sure. Start with the Russian dash cam video's. They all use them over there cause they can't call the cops after an accident. The cam provides the evidence for court. As scary as some of them are, you can learn a lot about what not to do on the roads.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
When you drive a large, obvious vehicle with out-of-state plates, you become an easy target for harassment and insurance games. I run a cheap dashcam - have for maybe 5 or 6 years. Still works great. Watch the videos of ugly cars pulling out in front of nice vehicles and slamming on their brakes. Without a camera try to prove that happened. Pictures of bear and deer crossing the road are just a bonus!
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
ScottG wrote:

I installed a cam several months ago and have not touched it since. There's no reason other than an accident, to ever fiddle with it.

Actually, that's not the case. It all depends on what you want to use it for. If you are using it to capture some awesome scenery on a road trip, you will definitely be "fiddling" with it.

I used ours on a recent trip to the SW National Parks and I took it down every night and copied the segments I wanted to save onto my computer, erased the rest, and put then used it again the next day.

well, of course. I took the post by the person who didn't want another electronic gadget to fiddle with to mean 'while in motion'.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know the brand but I bought 4 of the $20 ones from amazon, about 4 years ago. They are all still working and using 16 gb sd cards. I use a weighted dash mount. I have one facing to the front and another facing the rear.
Turret Class traveler

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

I installed a cam several months ago and have not touched it since. There's no reason other than an accident, to ever fiddle with it.

Actually, that's not the case. It all depends on what you want to use it for. If you are using it to capture some awesome scenery on a road trip, you will definitely be "fiddling" with it.

I used ours on a recent trip to the SW National Parks and I took it down every night and copied the segments I wanted to save onto my computer, erased the rest, and put then used it again the next day.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
None....another electronic gadget to fiddle, fuss and deal with. We like to keep it as simple as possible and get on down the road.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fizz wrote:

That is a big reason why I am looking into getting one:E
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
jcpainter wrote:
When you do your research, be sure to research the proper SD Cards to use (and the ones to avoid)

Good point. The one that was highly remomnded is Transcend Information 32GB Micro Card.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
PenMan wrote:
I've been thinking about a dash cam also. Better check the laws in the states you travel in the most. I NM you can't attach anything to the windshield so I have to get a dash mounted or mirror mounted unit. Any ideas about this type?

Interesting law, likely to prevent hanging stuff in their line of sight.
While my dash cam is windshield mounted, it is hidden behind the rearview mirror.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer