cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of cold showers ugh

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Well we're about 1500 miles into our first ever RV adventure which has been great but our propane system isn't working well. We have a 2013 14rb AR-ONE. The problem we are having is that the propane won't continually flow over a longer than 10-15 minute time frame, sometimes less than 30 seconds. I have a full tank of propane(20lbs) and I thought it was the regulator so I bought a new one and installed it. I checked for leaks with soapy water and do not have any. Sometimes the propane will last long enough to make a pot of coffee and once so far it's lasted/flowed long enough for supper and two showers but this morning after successfully making a pot of coffee I tried lighting the hot water tank for a shower and it went out, burner and pilot light, after about 10 minutes. I read that you should turn the propane valve on very slowly to avoid "freezing up" the valve and I have been doing that but with limited success. We would surely like a warm shower and were wondering if you all would have any suggestions that might fix this problem? Thank you in advance!
46 REPLIES 46

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've always said that if EVERYTHING went perfectly on a camping trip, I'd have no stories to tell during family get-togethers. So far, that hasn't been a problem!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, a day camping without hot water is still better than a day at work!

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone! Well unfortunately we just returned home after 2,400 beautiful miles of nothing but the best time of our lives despite the propane issues. I am going to try cleaning the hot water burner system via watching YouTube videos and test it out in the driveway this weekend. Thank you all so much for all of your input! Hopefully this solves the problem. I plan on buying a new pigtail also before trying the system again.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
oldmanriver809 wrote:
So I found the closest grocery store and swapped out the tank
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Problem solved.

What was the root cause?
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the pigtails that connect to the tank. I had a similar problem and this solved, never have had an issue since.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
oldmanriver809 wrote:
Good news!! The pilot light is still burning after the main burner shut off!! It made that fluttering/gurgling noise intermittently the whole time it was heating the tank though?

The symptoms you describe with the pilot flame indicate a somewhat clogged or obstructed orifice.

These RV water heaters are fairly simple, mechanically. Most suffer from being dirty or insect intrusion when being stored. That's why a thorough cleaning typically brings good results.

If you feel that disassembling the burner tube and pilot line is beyond your skill sets, hiring a mobile RV repair guy is a good solution. He can disassemble and clean the innards of your water heater and bring it back into good operation. I could try to instruct you on orifice cleaning and such but hiring a mobile RV repair person for the small time it will take is a better solution.

x2, there are some very good youtubes showing how to do the easy cleaning.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I mostly use a solar shower. Always works.

Except at night or when overcast, or in within the Polar night?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

westend
Explorer
Explorer
oldmanriver809 wrote:
Good news!! The pilot light is still burning after the main burner shut off!! It made that fluttering/gurgling noise intermittently the whole time it was heating the tank though?

The symptoms you describe with the pilot flame indicate a somewhat clogged or obstructed orifice.

These RV water heaters are fairly simple, mechanically. Most suffer from being dirty or insect intrusion when being stored. That's why a thorough cleaning typically brings good results.

If you feel that disassembling the burner tube and pilot line is beyond your skill sets, hiring a mobile RV repair guy is a good solution. He can disassemble and clean the innards of your water heater and bring it back into good operation. I could try to instruct you on orifice cleaning and such but hiring a mobile RV repair person for the small time it will take is a better solution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice westend! Shortly after my last post my wife and I went for dinner and to visit some family. We just returned back to camp and I saw that the pilot light did not stay lit... I just lit it again but it seems to be burning intermittently if that makes any sense. It will kind of sound like its fluttering every now and again then go back to a full solid burn. I have no idea what would cause this to happen but it hasn't completely stopped burning. Since its nighttime here I can easily tell if the pilot stays lit after the burner ***** off so I'm waiting for that to happen and I'll check to see if the pilot went out. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't...

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I mostly use a solar shower. Always works.

Careful about making blanket statement there...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
oldmanriver809 wrote:
Hi dodge guy. Well the old tank was still almost full. The guy at the propane exchange picked it up to give me a new and said this one is still full and shook it so I told him I just wasn't to sure about it and that I wanted a new tank anyway lol. Well we got one shower in the books and I'm waiting to see if the burner will kick back on as my wife gets her shower. I'm wonderin if the pilot light went out after the first cycle of the burner shut off. Is there an adjustment for the pilot light? It seemed to have an awfully small flame?

Yes, there is an adjustment for the pilot flame but if you have never done it, don't mess with it. The most important thing is to have the flame either engulfing a thermocouple (if so equipped) or adjacent to the flame sensor (if so equipped). If the pilot flame remains lit, it will typically operate successfully.

It sounds like the valve inside your previous cylinder was stuck. There may have been enough propane passed to pressurize the system but wouldn't allow any more propane to exit the tank. This tip-over or excess flow valve operates with gravity so some users invert the cylinder and strike the top on a hard surface to free a stuck valve. It is better to just exchange the cylinder and use a new one as the valve mechanism may continue to bind and stick.

In the off-season or next Spring it is a good idea to clean the burner tube and orifice. There are internet sources that will show how to accomplish that.
Good luck with your propane system.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton