Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyo F Rated Tires

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Had our first experience using a TC last weekend with my wife and daughter (and our boat). Had a great time!

I haven't decided which camper to get but am planning to do so in the spring, I have connected with a local guy who is renting us his TC when we want to use one. My current truck tires were not purchased with the idea of carrying a TC. I have BFG KO2's 35x12.5r18 that have a max cold psi of 65. The TC we used is very heavy but it was a good experience, a Lance 855s.

These are going on my 2012 F250 CC SB 4x4 with a 6.7 diesel and I tow my 22' aluminum jet boat. I know this isn't the ideal truck for what I am wanting to do but it is what I own so I'm going to make it work. I understand the general concurrence is that a slide out camper should be on a swb dually, but that isn't going to happen. I've done a few upgrades to help carry a TC (I understand that none of these increase the vehicles rated capacity), Big Wig sway bar and airlift 5000 air bags, but with my boat in tow, some helper springs are needed too.

Toyo's newer option for a f rated tire in my same tore size that can go to 80psi and is rated to almost 4000lb is tempting. I feel that the extra 15 psi and stronger sidewall would have made a big difference on the sidewall compression and roll caused by the tires. I will not be putting 19.5's on so this seems like the next best thing.

Any one have experience with these?

http://media.toyotires.com/press-releases?item=122476

Thanks, Rob
20 REPLIES 20

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I found my wheel rating from the manufacturer by running a Vin check for the factory window sticker.

(6) 6.0K 8-hole wheels
Pwr steering
37.2 gallon fuel tank-inc: auxiliary fuel tank
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Siletzspey wrote:
While I see many positive comments about the 4080-lb Toyos, I also see many claims that the tires have poor wet-road and snow traction. Any comments on that?

My Michelin LTX AT2 tire with 3640-lb rating are at 95% capacity with my camper, and I'm pondering the Toyo's or jumping to 19.5". The 19.5's also get negative comments on wet traction.

--SiletzSpey

Idk if you said AT RT or MT, but ATs are great in rain, decent in snow.
MTs are mud tire so they handle like a mud tire in rain and snow. Siped though, they're spectacular in all conditions, but hauling a heavy camper if you're putting on a lot of miles will wear them out quicker.
Never had RT but I'm sure they're fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess it depends on the 19.5s. I have mine siped, but mine have been fine in rain, mud, snow, and dry pavement.

I'd also say that any tire at 80 or more pressure with truck unloaded is probably not the best.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
My 19.5โ€™s did well on everything except where you need flotation. I went from the those same Michelinโ€™s in 275/70R18 LRE to 245/70R19.5 LRH traction/drive tread.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
While I see many positive comments about the 4080-lb Toyos, I also see many claims that the tires have poor wet-road and snow traction. Any comments on that?

My Michelin LTX AT2 tire with 3640-lb rating are at 95% capacity with my camper, and I'm pondering the Toyo's or jumping to 19.5". The 19.5's also get negative comments on wet traction.

--SiletzSpey

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
Called Method, my wheels are rated at 3600 lbs. I can stay under that weight. Just seems that being able to run 80psi cold will help sidewall compression significantly. The guy at method did mention the HD wheels with that higher rating, doubt I really need those.

My 2012 seems to have very soft rear springs. My buddies 2011 f350 has a much more rigid rear suspension.

Would it be advisable to just get a f350 spring set? The stableloads look pretty slick. Can you stack those with the overload springs? Being that the f350 has that extra upper spring I'd like to match that. Much prefer a stiffer ride.

I appreciate the well thought out input.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Powerdude wrote:
That is correct, Bedlam.

Ford forged aluminum wheels are 3590 lbs each for an SRW, as per Ford specs.

I'm wondering if the 3590 lb rating is reduced when used in dual wheel configuration - similar as to how a tire rating is reduced when used in a dually configuration?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really wish that truck mfgr's would stamp them... none of my several set of wheels for 2 different generations of Dodge trucks had any indication. I am only assuming that the wheels are rated to handle at least the tire capacities that are wrapped around them.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
You might find your wheel weight rating stamped on the inside of the rim after the tire is removed from the rim.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
d3500ram wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Even stock tires have more capacity than the stock wheels.

On what do you base that? (Not flaming, just asking)
...because as far as I have know, there are really no known specs of factory wheels as discussed here as nauseam...

I would tend to think that for legal reasons (if it ever push came to shove in a court) that truck mfgrs would take a position that wheels are only rated for as much as stock tire could handle (and no more.)

18 inch stock Continentals on Ford SRWs are max load 3760. Power dude noted that the wheels rating is 3590.

Still, it is rare for someone to have a wheel fail. Tires typically fail first.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And Toyo Fs should serve you well.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
r47smiley wrote:
I'll call my wheel manufacturer tomorrow. Solid point.

I've got Method Wheels in a 18x9. When I bought the truck and whatever I put on it up until 6 months ago had zero regard for a TC.

Since my wife and daughter loved it (my wife has given a TC the nod) I want to get my truck lined up to carry well.

If you have Method NVs, you may have one of the only light truck wheels actually rated very high. 4600lb iirc. Method only makes 1 or 2 styles with that rating. Most other wheels /brands are between 3000-3600 lb rating.
That said, OE wheels are typically very stout. Aftermarket can be as well. Lots of people run OE wheels with same weight as you, including me. And lots run it on aftermarket wheels too. See it daily. Your call there.
For the truck, before helped springs, look at wedging the overload lower leaf either with wedges or stable loads. Although the 2 F250s I had. 2012 and 2014? Models both had really soft rear springs compared to other HD pickups.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
Even stock tires have more capacity than the stock wheels.

On what do you base that? (Not flaming, just asking)
...because as far as I have know, there are really no known specs of factory wheels as discussed here as nauseam...

I would tend to think that for legal reasons (if it ever push came to shove in a court) that truck mfgrs would take a position that wheels are only rated for as much as stock tire could handle (and no more.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
I'll call my wheel manufacturer tomorrow. Solid point.

I've got Method Wheels in a 18x9. When I bought the truck and whatever I put on it up until 6 months ago had zero regard for a TC.

Since my wife and daughter loved it (my wife has given a TC the nod) I want to get my truck lined up to carry well.