cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to put da dogs??

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
Have a odd question that we did not think about when we purchased out truck and 5th wheel.

Truck seats 5, we have 2 large doodles (90 - 100#) and not sure where to put dogs when truck is full.

Was thinking of building a dog container in the bed of the truck but has anyone else had this issue and what is a good solution?

Truck: 2008 F-350
Trailer: 2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ
38 REPLIES 38

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I had a choice between heavily editing this thread and letting it run or closing it down as is. I expect after editing the vitriol would continue and I'd end up right back at the same decision after work. Leaving as is allows both sides to have made their points and a counter or two. Enough. As a moderator, I can't voice my opinion. But I can close down a thread that just gets stupid.

Remember my metric is that if moderating a thread makes me late for work, it gets closed. Things will get looser in a couple of weeks when we hit the road for 3 months, but for now, off to work.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
We made the dog(s) a top priority when we picked a trailer and a truck...In fact, it's one of the reasons we RV...the ability to bring the dog along.

Putting the dogs in the bed of the truck or having them ride in the trailer is an absolute non- starter for us.

I agree with others. If they won't fit in the truck, board them for that trip.

We had a Ram 1500 Quad Cab. It wasn't big enough for the two 100 lb dogs. So, we got a crew cab put the seats up have 3/4 inche memory foam on the floor with multiple blankets AND pillows back there.

Oh by the way? the memory foam mattress was a full twin and fit without cutting it except about six inches on the end...

I can appreciate your position. AND, it wasn't my idea on the mattress, pillows etc. But I was OK with the new Truck.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Dogs
WTP-GC wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
And when it's hotter than he$$ or sudden rainstorms with sheets of rain and hail, lightning they will be out there? They belong in the truck with you.

Why do people always believe that dogs are so affected by the heat? Ever look at thermal imaging of dogs and how their body and fur transfer heat to keep them cool? A long haired dog laying in the sun will be just fine as long as they haven't been trimmed too much or shaved.

I have several measuring sticks regarding how I judge people and their ability to make good decisions. Folks who get so stuck on a single issue (like in politics) are never favorable. I don't care for people who have 2 last names (keeping their maiden name and married name). You can't trust people who have secret accounts kept hidden from their spouses. And folks who place so much value in an animal fall into the same categories. What if the first cat "domesticator" had of chosen a racoon or opossum to take in? How is a dog much different than a coyote (other than a few centuries of domesticating). What's the difference between a hamster and a rat?

I see dogs lick their butt then lick their owner's faces. Seems good and clean to me. Animals are meant for utilitarian purposes, not to be treated the same (or better) than humans.

So glad I'm not your neighbor.......... Can't begin to explain the problems we would have. dogs

Why would we have trouble? Would you meddle in my affairs? Or does the extent of your concern go only as far as your neighbor instead of considering the countless number of animals elsewhere in your community that are truly mistreated. You treat your dogs how you want to and I'll do the same.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Dance Chick wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
Dogs
WTP-GC wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
And when it's hotter than he$$ or sudden rainstorms with sheets of rain and hail, lightning they will be out there? They belong in the truck with you.

Why do people always believe that dogs are so affected by the heat? Ever look at thermal imaging of dogs and how their body and fur transfer heat to keep them cool? A long haired dog laying in the sun will be just fine as long as they haven't been trimmed too much or shaved.

I have several measuring sticks regarding how I judge people and their ability to make good decisions. Folks who get so stuck on a single issue (like in politics) are never favorable. I don't care for people who have 2 last names (keeping their maiden name and married name). You can't trust people who have secret accounts kept hidden from their spouses. And folks who place so much value in an animal fall into the same categories. What if the first cat "domesticator" had of chosen a racoon or opossum to take in? How is a dog much different than a coyote (other than a few centuries of domesticating). What's the difference between a hamster and a rat?

I see dogs lick their butt then lick their owner's faces. Seems good and clean to me. Animals are meant for utilitarian purposes, not to be treated the same (or better) than humans.

So glad I'm not your neighbor.......... Can't begin to explain the problems we would have. dogs

So glad I'm not his dog!!!

My dogs spend no time on leashes, in kennels, or cooped up inside holding their bladders waiting for someone to release them. All that freedom must really be traumatizing to them.
SBGTF

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Dogs
WTP-GC wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:

So glad I'm not his dog!!!
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs
WTP-GC wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:

Wow.

It's not about treating an animal the same or better than humans. It's about treating living creatures humanely. It's called empathy. It's called respect.

And dogs have been kept as companions for more than a few centuries. And domestication is even older than that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Just like kids- you gotta make room in the back seat for them.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
jasoncw wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
-snip- I laugh and shake my head every single time I see someone bend over and scoop up their dog's poop with a plastic bag. - snip-

So you don't clean up after your dogs at CGs?

Even better...I don't take my dogs to campgrounds...or out for walks or anywhere for that matter. They stay at home on our property. They don't seem to mind.
SBGTF

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I know this won't work with other passengers, but we use one of these in the backseat. We have 3 dogs, 2 basset hounds and a Boxer. Any equipment/gear that can't fit on the floor boards goes either in the back of the truck or in the trailer. Our dogs are basically our kids (we don't have human children) so no way would they go anywhere but in the cab, or stay at home with a sitter. They don't live outside at home, so why would we expect them to do it when travelling?

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Waterproof-Scratch-proof-Stain-proof-approximately/dp/B019OFKASI/ref=zg_bs_3024184011_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WMTG1P969FZ1EQT1QZ8H
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
-snip- I laugh and shake my head every single time I see someone bend over and scoop up their dog's poop with a plastic bag. - snip-

So you don't clean up after your dogs at CGs?
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:

SBGTF

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
You said truck seats 5, I assume you are traveling with other people. Only solution that makes sense to me is dogs in back seat, other people in the car behind you. Makes it easier when you arrive at destination as well. As much as we love our trucks, it's easier to maneuver when you have a car with you.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)