cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coupler clamps

DoberGirl50
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend, I hooked up and disconnected my tt for the first time by myself. I moved it from a campground into storage. I was overly cautious about safety and took every precaution. However proud I am of myself for doing it on my own, the coupler clamp really worried me. Why? Because the **** thing just seems so flimsy! There's no 'clicking' to let me know it's locked into place or any other type of 'sign' that it's securely locked. The best thing I knew to do was raise the receiver and ensure the truck raised with it. Does anyone have any other tricks or tips on confirming beyond the shadow of a doubt that the receiver is securely locked to the ball besides the method I described? I can't seem to find any helpful You Tube videos.
11 REPLIES 11

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Generally, if the latch is closed enough to install a safety pin or padlock in the mating holes, it's securely latched.

ScottG wrote:
Exactly this!

Disagree, as that's exactly what happened to me in our early popup days - lowered the coupler on the ball, thought the ball was correctly seated within the coupler, snapped the clasp shut, and put a lock through the hole. Pulled out of the driveway and was immediately shocked to learn the coupler was sitting atop the ball. :E In this case "generally" isn't good enough, you want to know that coupler is properly trapped. ๐Ÿ˜‰

OK, apparently we need to add the phrase "make sure the coupler goes down over the ball." Never thought I would have to actually tell anyone that particular point.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DoberGirl50 wrote:
The best thing I knew to do was raise the receiver and ensure the truck raised with it.

How I did it when I was towing a trailer..

Make sure you lift the truck high enough to KNOW the thing is on not just relaxing the rear springs
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Generally, if the latch is closed enough to install a safety pin or padlock in the mating holes, it's securely latched.

ScottG wrote:
Exactly this!

Disagree, as that's exactly what happened to me in our early popup days - lowered the coupler on the ball, thought the ball was correctly seated within the coupler, snapped the clasp shut, and put a lock through the hole. Pulled out of the driveway and was immediately shocked to learn the coupler was sitting atop the ball. :E In this case "generally" isn't good enough, you want to know that coupler is properly trapped. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
One way to check is with your finger. After lowering on to ball, you should be able to feel the latch under the ball. The locking latch on the top of the receiver is a safety and yes some are flimsy. Some have small protrusions that fit in to the receiver. They bend and brake off over time and usage.
Yes, you are required in some states to install a pin or other device(lock) to prevent latch from popping up.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You know, FWIW, you can replace the flimsy "stock" coupler with a much better design, if you want. Take a look at Bulldog couplers.

Bulldog Trailer Couplers

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DoberGirl50 wrote:
The best thing I knew to do was raise the receiver and ensure the truck raised with it. Does anyone have any other tricks or tips on confirming beyond the shadow of a doubt that the receiver is securely locked to the ball besides the method I described?

That works, but make the hitch ball "reach" for the coupler and it will latch properly every time, like this.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DoberGirl50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Sounds like I was doing the right thing all along and didn't fully realize it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Exactly this!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos for being overly cautious. Hopefully, you stay that way.

As far as there being a positive 'clunk' when you're set I don't think there is one when the trailer is positively attached. I believe it's pretty much verified by sight. There's usually a lever that stands vertically on the yoke but that won't be able to snap horizontal unless the ball is properly in the socket. Other types have a big knob you tighten on the ball. That starts out all loosey goosey and tightens up as you turn clockwise. All it's doing is pushing a metal plate in place 'under' the bottom part of the ball so the trailer yoke can't pop out. Again, this action is no good if you don't observe that it's tightly cinched up. Eyeballing it is the first step.

So I think you're doing good by giving it a good visual check several times. Cranking it up to check for ball capture by lifting the tow vehicle is a great way to check too...if fact it's probably the most used method.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

1Wheeldrive
Explorer
Explorer
I think the method you described is the only sure fire way to confirm that the trailer ball is properly captured by the truck mounted hitch. While is has been a few years since I had a "pull behind" or "bumper pull" trailer, what you described is how I always confirmed that the trailer was properly hitched. I you want to get down and possibly dirty, you can look under the hitch to see if the ball has been completely captured by the movable part of the hitch.

That is one reason to have an electric trailer jack, makes the hitching process much easier.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 CC Long Bed
2012 Voltage 3200
2006 KLR 650