cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License/Tags for ATV's

dux5977
Explorer
Explorer
What would be the best way to be legal riding quads in other states from your own? I assume there isnt Fed tags, so you can ride in every state without buying in every state you go to.
14 REPLIES 14

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above ~ (reciprocity) You can plate a UTV in AZ and cruise down the road but not in CA. But on the other hand you can plate a Dirtbike in AZ and ride it on the streets in CA with a least a Headlight a foot brake light, mirror and a horn along with an M1 motorcycle license and insurance.

I would suggest to try to register your machine in your state online first and see how far you can get.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dux5977
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly want it for public lands off of paved roads. I kind of figured I'd have to pay in each state. I was planning on bondocking mostly traveling state to state. I'm just wondering if it'll be worth it. Paying the costs if im only going to be there a month or so. $25 isnt bad I guess. Trying to figure if it's worth it (cost vs. usage) for building a converted cargo into toy hauler. Being it's just myself. Spending winter months out of MI

Thanks I appreciate the responses.
Ron

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I've always made my dirt bikes street legal; loophole. Arizona has closed this I recently found out, by requiring an ohv permit for plated vehicles under a certain gross weight (somewhere around 1000lbs).

So far the only extra thing I've had to deal with is local park stuff, like a permit to ride at the dunes. My license plate is my vehicle registration in replacement of an OHV sticker, then a day permit to get me on the sand.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
ndrorder wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
The states that I have ridden in (Colorado, UT, WY) all require their own permit. No reciprocity.

Sounds bad, but in these states, the OHV fees go towards OHV programs such shared access, youth safety training, and new trail development. Well worth the price of admission.

Except most states treat the funds as fungible, and reallocate the dollar to other purposes......

Agreed. NM is one of those that is constantly trying to raid the registration pot. They have been consistently raiding the OHV gas tax that everyone pays for more than a decade now.

CO, UT, and WY are ones I don't mind paying or places to visit since the money is going where it should. My only point was to mention the success stories of those particular states.

1Wheeldrive
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about using your quad to drive on paved state and/or county roads, or just using them on public lands off of paved roads? The requirements are different for each case. In some states, if you are a resident, you can get a license plate for an ATV or a side by side if you meet certain equipment requirements (Arizona and Idaho come to mind). In some states (Colorado is one of them) you cannot get a state license plate for an ATV or a side by side so they cannot legally be driven on state of federal highways. However, some local governments (city and county) in rural areas do allow people to operate these vehicles on specifically designated roads. The forest service and BLM also allow non-street legal vehicles to operate on some of their roads. Usually an OHV permit is required to operate on federal public lands, and some local governments may also require an OHV permit.

Colorado state law does not recognize OHVs (quads and SXSs) as "motor vehicles" and therefore they cannot be licensed, even with adequate equipment (lights, horn, turn signals, etc.) so even visitors from out of state who have license plates on their quads or SXS cannot legally drive on state or federal highways and are limited to which ever roads a local government may designate as open to those vehicles.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 CC Long Bed
2012 Voltage 3200
2006 KLR 650

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
The states that I have ridden in (Colorado, UT, WY) all require their own permit. No reciprocity.

Yeah, I don't believe CO does reciprocity with other states but since I live here, my expectation is to purchase permits for where I'm planning to ride. So far it is usually UT and as we know, expect paying for the permit.

For those curious, the CO permit only costs, per OHV vehicle, $25.25/year and can be purchased online where it is sent to your house. Permits can also be purchased locally in CO in many popular OHV riding areas.
I love me some land yachting

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Sounds bad, but in these states, the OHV fees go towards OHV programs such shared access, youth safety training, and new trail development. Well worth the price of admission.

Except most states treat the funds as fungible, and reallocate the dollar to other purposes......
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Y-Guy
Oregon has agreements for operating permits from Arizona, California, Idaho, Indiana, Missouri, Nevada, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, and Washington. However, Oregon also has a mandatory ATV Safety Education Card requirement for all users, and youth have a hands on training requirement. Iโ€™ve ran into out of State ATVers that were sent back to camp to take their online test.

California has a number of rules too that also apply to non-residence one of them is the California Air Resources Board Red Sticker riding season requirements.

Utah has reciprocity as far as registration but all youth must take their test before riding in the State.

The point is there is no universal set of ATV stickers or training requirements. You need to know each Stateโ€™s rules before you go. Thankfully its pretty easy to find the rules these days with a quick Google search.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
IN CA you need an out of state permit. Not 100% sure but if there is charge it is minimal.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Some states do reciprocity so best to check via your state which ones you do not need to worry about buying a permit for. Others, well you'll just need to pony up for the permit if you want to ride there.
I love me some land yachting

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Odd... Why doesn't it work like cars and boats and whatnot?

Out of state registration isn't accepted when taking a spin on your 4 wheeler but is accepted for very other means of conveyance?

SledHedEd
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of Federal tags. As far as I know you will have to register in the state you are going to ride in. Some states allow you to do it online and receive your tags in the mail. I've been riding ATV's and snowmobiles for 30 + years and have never seen a nationwide registration.
2012 Jayco Eagle 305BHLT 5th wheel
2011 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 P-Stroke