cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Duramax delete

esfd243
Explorer
Explorer
We have a constant check engine light for out 2012 D/A for exhaust sensors and the DEF system. The DEF tank, heater and pump have been replaced 2 times under warranty in 2013 and 2014. We had 2 exhaust sensors replaced under the emissions warranty in 2014 and 2015. In September 2017 I had to spend $680 on an exhaust sensor that Chevy replaced in 2015 but would not cover again. Now the check engine light has been on again for over 3000 miles, showing codes for 2 more sensors with Chevy estimating a cost over $1200.

So how about the delete party everyone talks about? Sinister Diesel wants $2600 for EGR and DEF delete that includes a new stainless exhaust, 5 step tuner and a display screen.

A local company where I live offers an $1100 package that includes new stainless exhaust with just a "flash" program to delete the EGR and DEF with no tuner or display. Truck runs stock.

I guess I dont fully understand the difference.
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73
29 REPLIES 29

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Thanks for some facts on the inspection process, the state website wasn't entirely clear on how it worked. Sounds like the OP should consider a road trip to Utica....they still make Utica Club?

Yes they do, its actually become more popular in probably the past 10 years. It became kind of trendy cheap bear of sorts. I don't mind it, but its definitely not my go to. I grew up walking to school suffering through the early morning stink of the brewery.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for some facts on the inspection process, the state website wasn't entirely clear on how it worked. Sounds like the OP should consider a road trip to Utica....they still make Utica Club?

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
esfd243 wrote:
We have a constant check engine light for out 2012 D/A for exhaust sensors and the DEF system. The DEF tank, heater and pump have been replaced 2 times under warranty in 2013 and 2014. We had 2 exhaust sensors replaced under the emissions warranty in 2014 and 2015. In September 2017 I had to spend $680 on an exhaust sensor that Chevy replaced in 2015 but would not cover again. Now the check engine light has been on again for over 3000 miles, showing codes for 2 more sensors with Chevy estimating a cost over $1200.

So how about the delete party everyone talks about? Sinister Diesel wants $2600 for EGR and DEF delete that includes a new stainless exhaust, 5 step tuner and a display screen.

A local company where I live offers an $1100 package that includes new stainless exhaust with just a "flash" program to delete the EGR and DEF with no tuner or display. Truck runs stock.

I work on and modify these trucks over in the Utica area. I would be happy to quote you on the job and explain the differences of what you're getting. I am unaware of any reputable shops in the syracuse area doing this sort of work. Its also worth noting you should avoid Sinister like the plague.

Your truck is not required to pass any emissions testing, it simply gets a safety inspection. In NYS we have what is known as the a DEMA, or Diesel Emissions Metropolitan area which is a 6 or 7 county area around NYC where trucks must pass some form of emissions testing, which if I recall correctly is just an opacity *(smoke snap) test.

For guys wondering how all this works.... If the proper parameters are mapped out with whatever software is used to write the tuning, it can be written in such a way that it shows all readiness monitors as complete.

I delete a TON of 2011 up trucks, Ford, Chevy and Dodge alike. DEF problems are borderline inevitable, the GM dealers in this neck of the woods seems to be totally inept with Duramax, and the Dodge Dealers seem to be hit or miss. 2 out 3 Ford dealers are on point, but they have had ALOT of practice and often 2 or more Diesel specific techs on staff.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, dealers don't care as much anymore. Prolly offer a little less in the trade and then sell it for more than one w emissions.
OP, you state a light has been on for 3000miles, so it doesn't affect drive ability?
Is it using def and regen ing? Because serious problems don't usually let the truck keep operating fine.
All that said, deleting is a sure fire option to be rid of all emissions problems and I'd do it in a heartbeat if the emissions started costing me money?
No local shop re flash c rap though unless you know what you're doing. Get the tunes from a reputable name brand that has perfected the tuning and has good tech aupport. Aka EFI Live
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I helped one of my neighbors delete all that junk on a F-450. He traded it in last year. Im suprised they took it in trade. They told him they would just auction it off in some area that didnt have smog checks
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

coloelk
Explorer
Explorer
Delete it. Best thing I did for my 2011 Dmax. I plan on keeping it for quite a few years. People here would rather buy a deleted truck than not if I did want to sell it.

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this repair is dependent on his local emission standards, but a $1000 repair or a new $60000 truck, Id unchoke it and let that 2012 breathe!
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
esfd243 wrote:

The truck is a 2012, if you can afford to, get rid of the truck. It isn’t worth the hassle or liability to modify a 6 year old truck.

I would disagree. I did my 08 in 16 and it's been worth it. The mods will make it drive like an 18 and will be much cheaper than buying an 18. Mine modded drives better than my bothers 16, with the exception of steering feel and overall sturdiness of the pickup. I replaced the shocks to improve the ride as well.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
esfd243 wrote:

The truck is a 2012, if you can afford to, get rid of the truck. It isn’t worth the hassle or liability to modify a 6 year old truck.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
bartlettj wrote:
You have to delete the diesel particulate filter or it will clog. Anyone who looks under the truck will be able to tell.

I have heard of people gutting the DPF and leaving everything stock looking.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
another thought, don't forget that state mandated emissions tests can get more tough in the future and testing equipment can get smarter. what they cant detect now may become an issue next year
we have it great these days compared to the 70's when I learned to drive. strangled carburators, air pumps, crude egr systems, everything vacuum operated, crappy catalytic converters.
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
You have to delete the diesel particulate filter or it will clog. Anyone who looks under the truck will be able to tell.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get how the delete program works, what I don't know is whether it leaves any other telltale signs in the PCM that an inspection scan would detect, or if NYS inspection is even that sophisticated. Not arguing the point, only suggesting that the OP should do his homework before he goes the delete path so he doesn't get jammed up down the road.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
The only thing the OBD testing checks is that there are no fault codes on the engine and/or emissions equipment.

Here's what it says on the NYS DMV Site:

"This test examines the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), also known as the "check engine" light, for operation/illumination, and verifies the test results of the vehicle's "on-board emissions diagnostic" system."

So the delete will shut off the MIL, but not sure if they can tell from the re-program that the EGR is no longer connected.

The delete doesn't just shut off the light like some old chips or modules did at every start up. The tuner will actually go into the ECM perimeters and programs the EGR and other devices out of the truck as if they never existed.

I am not sure how thorough the stations are in NY, but most here in Texas don't even have the necessary hardware/software to be able to tell if the truck has been reprogrammed or not. Most only have an OBD fault reader and that is it. The main concern where I am at are safety violations, not emissions violations. Especially since the population is not dense enough for NOx to cause any harm.

Here in the Houston area (largest city in Texas) and probably the highest concentration of trucks, my diesel truck only gets a annual Safety Inspection to the tune of ~$13.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"