cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag axle questions

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at a new 2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44H. It's a tag axle. I know it lifts but not one where the wheels move with the turn to help steer and not drag. To my knowledge anyway.

Is there a problem with tight turns? Do you need to lift the tag?

Do's and don't? Good , bad?

Anyone have this model ? Any feedback is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38' gas rig with tags that don't lift or steer. Haven't had any problems with them, but can't speak for tags on a DP

Hope you get the information you need and safe travels...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, agreed the tag doesn't change the turn radius over what it would be without it.

Front independent suspension does change turn radius (tighter), and rear steering tags will change it because the push they rear out in a turn.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
That Discovery is a very nice coach. Don't worry about the tag, as stated earlier, the pressure is off in a turn/reverse, besides, a little dragging of the tag tires won't hurt. You'll have to get new tires due to age, not running the tread off them. Also, tags do not affect the turn radius.
2014 American Eagle

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires age out so after the first couple of years I only raised mine if going to make multiple sharp turns. Cannot tell any difference in turning radius up or down after putting 88K miles on my Dynasty. New ride is heavy enough that I doubt I’ll ever raise it other than to change a tire. 23K + 9K = 32,000 lbs on a 24K axle...not doing it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 kinds of tag I'm aware of - steerable, lift and dump.

My Freightliner only "dumps" the pressure out of the tag air bags in reverse or when manually dumped less then 5 mph.

Tags that physically "lift" have a separate pneumatic or hydraulic piston that lifts the tag up after the air ride has been released.

Steerable are just awesome 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Tags are adjustable and should be slightly off the ground when lifted otherwise you are dragging the tire when it should be lifted.

I ran mine over the scales around 5 times fully loaded to adjust the weight on the front, main and tag axles for fairly even distribution within their limits. Instructions were in the owners manual, I have a valve and gauge in the engine compartment that allows me to set the tag pressure.

When I lift my tag I can turn the tire by hand, it is just barely off the ground. My tag requires me to manually lift it for sharp turns, either forward or reverse. If I don't it doesn't turn quite as sharp and drags the tag wheels. My tag is not steerable.

It does automatically low over a certain speed going forward.

HTH

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a Freightliner chassis and has "auto" mode it will lift it automatically under 10 mph and automatically in reverse. No issues with tight turns. I have never seen mine "lift" off the ground but it does release the pressure on it.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie