cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some observations om rv refrigeration.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
How many posts have we seen about rv refrigerators not performing, on gas particularly. Over the years I am learning that I can turn this under performing Norcold frig into a freezer through good practice. I use frozen water bottles distribruted among the food items to keep them as cold as I choose. The freezer always freezes, so I rotate in and out to refreeze if need be. On medium I can freeze food in the crisper drawer, if I choose. The laptop fan in the chimney tunnel also helps. But past practices have always been wrong. Packing meals as packages reduces open door time. Keeping a separate, frequently opened, beverage cooler, simple stuff, add up. Happy sunsets.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
4 REPLIES 4

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
I never realized it, but after seeing all these complaints about RV refers, I must be the Only person on here who has never had a problem with it, (so Far). Except in Lake Havasu City when the AC breaker tripped and the interior temp was 100 degrees.

No, you're not the only one.

We've been perfectly happy with the Norcold 611 propane refrigerator in our 12 year old motorhome. It has 5 coldness settings and we only use it set on 3 - or worst case in hot weather - set on 4. Set on 4, it can get too cold in the interior most of the time and we have to set it back to 3. We've never needed the highest setting - and we have made a demanding cross-country trip in the Southern U.S. in the July-August heat.

We have little thermometers hanging in the refrig section and in the freezer section. We even have another wireless thermometer in the refrig section so we can keep on eye on temperatures there without opening the door.

I wonder if these might be some of reasons for poor RV propane refrigerator performance:

1. Improper installation such that ventilation in the back is poor.

2. Too large of a size ... maybe 6 cubic foot or lower does better?

3. "Automatic" temperature control ... instead of a manual switch for the user to set various coldness values to compensate for extreme outside high or low temperatures.

4. Propane gas pressure a little low from an aging/failing regulator on the propane tank(s) such that, even though the flame is a proper blue color, it might not be large/strong enough. Propane system pressure can be checked with a manometer.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never realized it, but after seeing all these complaints about RV refers, I must be the Only person on here who has never had a problem with it, (so Far). Except in Lake Havasu City when the AC breaker tripped and the interior temp was 100 degrees.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JonWalter
Explorer
Explorer
Rv reefers are very expendable and expensive to use, repair. The units must be nearly level and are a constant problem. Some years ago, our RV reefer was removed and a apartment size reefer was purchased from a big box. The apt unit cost about $350 and works flawlesslyhttps://cozzy.org/best-counter-depth-refrigerator-reviews/. Now the ice cream is cold and hard. There is no need to run the unit for quite a while, before going on a RV trip. The small apt units use very little electric power, so a small 120 volt inverter that makes about 750 watts will work very nicely. Every time the engine starts the house batteries will be recharged. The inverter makes AC only for the refrigerator.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Good points!
I use the ice trick to supplement cooling if driving through the desert or traveling on one of our ferry's where we have to have the PP tanks off.