cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Genny - Help - Looking for suggestions!

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Onan Emerald Plus 4000 BGE in a 29' GBM Landau on F53 chassis...
Exercised once a month all winter - but then sat from April until now.
Now won't start? Cranks fine but doesn't sound like it wants to start (like it's not getting gas?)
The other funny thing is that my start switch on the dash seems dead to? Only start switch on genny itself will crank it.
Can't find any blown fuses anywhere - not sure what's going on???
Is there something that might control my dash switch and fuel pump maybe?
Any tips/suggestions that I can check out before taking it somewhere for service would be much appreciated!!
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C
26 REPLIES 26

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good deal!! It feels good when it starts don't it..?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
NAUTIQUE wrote:

While running, the light on remote switch at dash was working too!
Remote switch will shut genny down, but doesn't seem to work at all when trying to start it?
Going to have to do some more investigation on this,
:B

That plug in connector for the dash start/stop switch has been a problem on many Onans. Unplug the connector, use an ice pick or small screw driver to expand the pins slightly. Then plug and unplug a couple of times to clean the connections. Hopefully that corrects the problem.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
SHE RUNS!:C
New Fuel pump, Fuel filter, & Air filter.
Purrs like a kitten!
Always seemed to struggle running AC but yesterday in 95+ heat it ran the AC great. (Thinking that maybe the fuel pump or filter might have been failing for awhile & when it needed the surge to run AC it wasn't getting enough fuel & would stall out?)

While running, the light on remote switch at dash was working too!
Remote switch will shut genny down, but doesn't seem to work at all when trying to start it?
Going to have to do some more investigation on this,
but soo happy the new parts fixed her up without having to take her in somewhere.
My $175 in parts probably would've only covered an hour of labor! :B
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
use a fuel resistant thread sealant, teflon tape may cause problems if bits break free

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure to use teflon tape on the threads on the fuel lines or it's tough to get it not to leak. Those fuel pumps do have a limited life in my experience.

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies guys!
Sorry for the update delay... Daily life always gets in the way! :M

* Checked wire going to fuel pump with volt meter & had power there.
* Pulled air filter & sprayed Carb Cleaner- She wanted to kick over!
* Disconnected pipe from fuel filter at bottom of carb. Pushed start switch - No fuel! No sound from fuel pump at all.
* Pulled fuel pump out & even tried connecting it to a 12v battery to see if it would do anything - NOTTIN!

Hello Amazon! - New fuel pump, fuel filter & air filter due to show up tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this will get her going!
Although it still doesn't answer my problem with the remote switch on dash ๐Ÿ˜ž )

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
NAUTIQUE wrote:
Stupid question - I'm assuming that spraying the carb cleaner into the carb is done by removing the air filter on side & spraying in the opening sideways?
(It doesn't appear that anything removes from top like a car engine)
Is that correct?
Also assuming just a couple squirts at a time?

If you have the BGE (it's the first part of the serial number) then the air filter is on the right said as you're looking at it. There's a screw on the cover and the cover comes right off. The air filter is in there. This is also where the winter/summer selector is located on the BGE. Under that horizontal flow filter is the horizontal flow carb. The choke is automatic on these units and you'll see the control arm for that and the throttle on the top of the carb, gennie. The fuel pump on mine was located sort of behind the gennie and you can trace the fuel supply line to and from it. The filter is in the line between the pump and the carb. Mine was a two cylinder opposed engine. The plugs were easy to find and change out. The starter is located on the back side bottom. Looks hard to get too but it's not when the tray is slid all the way out.

On the BGE there's a start and stop switch mounted on a box on the front of the gennie. Under that is the control board. These things aren't hard to repair as long as it's not major surgery. Also, I always found conversion charts for my filters (oil and air). Since I no longer own that motorhome I discarded the info but, it's easy to find on-line.

Be careful if you're new to this kind of a thing.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is a very common problem for the rubber hose coming in to the generator from your RV fuel tank to have a split that allows air to be sucked in to the carb, which means the generator will crank, but not run long.
Also if you push the switch down it will prime the carb. Then you push the switch up to start.

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Stupid question - I'm assuming that spraying the carb cleaner into the carb is done by removing the air filter on side & spraying in the opening sideways?
(It doesn't appear that anything removes from top like a car engine)
Is that correct?
Also assuming just a couple squirts at a time?

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lord have mercy the hours I spent working on my old 4k Onan. Mine was on a 1990 Class A. I had to replace the control board on it one time for a no start condition. I had an issue where it was turning over slow and that kept if from cranking. I replaced the starter and that fixed it. Over the years I did tons of oil changes and a couple of sets of spark plugs. I had the BGE model.

It should slide out on a tray to give you access to the back side of it. Some of these carbs are not rebuild-able. Or at least they make it difficult and dont sell the seals and such. I have heard of people doing it anyway. It could be varnish in the carb but, if you have been exercising it that may not be the issue. Testing fuel flow is easy. Just be bloody careful. Checking for spark is easy as well.

I would note that on mine the no start condition played out like, it would start when the start button was held down but as soon as I let off of the button it died. If the contacts in the generator are dirty and it detects that it's not making power it will immediately quit as well. But, based on what you describe it's a simple no fuel/air or no spark condition. Pull a plug wire, put a plug in the wire, ground it and see if it's getting spark. Or, better yet, get one of those cheap testers from Harbor Freight. If it's making spark then you can reasonably assume, as long as the timing is good, that it's a fuel issue. I would shoot a bit of go juice in the carb and see if it tries to start. If it does then I'd lean towards a fuel air issue.

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
STRIKE 1! :M
Got the chance to run out & try disconnecting the remote start cable - Didn't make a difference.
( Also checked the 10amp fuse for coil & that was ok.)
Darn it! - I was hoping for something simple ๐Ÿ˜ž

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful if you slide it out. It is heavy and will need to be properly supported.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Re-reading the original post... Something went DING

the dash button is not working........

I do not know how these switches are wired but IS IT POSSIBLE
that the wires to the dash have been chewed and are shorted in such a way that the generator THINKS you are shutting it OFF all the time????

There should be a plug, near/inside the generator that runs up to the dash.
Easiest test is to unplug it.

Just what I was thinking wa!
Unfortunately weather didn't cooperate last night.
Found some diagrams & youtube videos yesterday that helped me understand where everything is located.
Remote start cable is right there in front so I was going to pull that first & see if it made any difference. (also found that there should be a small amp fuse at the coil that controls that switch under the hood, so will check that out too.)

If that fails I'll try spraying carb cleaner into intake to see if she'll kick off that.

Also found that the genny is held in place with four bolts & it slides out to access rear of it (looks like that will need to be done to change plugs.)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Hoping I can get a look at it between thundershowers tonight. :C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Re-reading the original post... Something went DING

the dash button is not working........

I do not know how these switches are wired but IS IT POSSIBLE
that the wires to the dash have been chewed and are shorted in such a way that the generator THINKS you are shutting it OFF all the time????

There should be a plug, near/inside the generator that runs up to the dash.
Easiest test is to unplug it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times