Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok what will this truck tow ??

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Sticker inside door says GVWR 7370....front GAWR 3750....rear GAWR 3850
Its a 2013 F150 Screw 4x4 with a 5.0 liter v8 with factory tow pkg and trailer brake button on dash that I have no clue how it works ๐Ÿ™‚
Has electronic locking rear diff ....
Not sure what rear gears etc...
It has 50k miles
Wonder how heavy of a TT it will pull if we decide to go that route
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
21 REPLIES 21

Chase_WV
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with that. People on the 5th wheel section will tell you that a Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW should not be towing a 5th wheel.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD
2012 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS (Reese Dual Cam WD)

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
bukhrn wrote:

I would listen to the folks on here,

That's funny right there. Better get an F550 or an International 9900 lol.
Well, Most folks. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Oh, that should tow a 30 footer easy. :B
Sorry, couldn't resist, that's a dealer standard answer.

That's what the dealer at CW told me about my 1965 Chevy Shortbed. It has the original brakes (i.e. the single pot master cylinder), 3 on the tree 3 speed, and a 350 motor.

Yeah, I didn't fall for it...

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:

I would listen to the folks on here,

That's funny right there. Better get an F550 or an International 9900 lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Double check the payload numbers, but you are probably fine up the 7500lb limit (loaded weight not the empty weight) if you don't carry a lot of stuff in the truck.

You won't be doing 75mph up steep grades but it should do fine.

Also how much towing and where?
- If you are going to do less than 1000miles per year and most on relatively flat land at low altitude, not issues.
- If you are towing 15,000miles per year and will spend a lot of time in mountains, I would look at either a beefier engine or a smaller trailer. More for the pleasantness of the drive not that the truck can't do it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I just got home ... payload says 1542
Online it says take that number and subtract people and anything that didnโ€™t come stock on the truck...
Then take that number and divide by .15 that will give you trailer weight... also said Ford assumes driver is 150 pounds... which is correct.. maybe 400 additional pounds.. not much

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill, numerous people have asked what the payload capacity of your truck is, yet you haven't supplied it.
It's on the sticker with your axle weight capacities.

It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs"
Trim levels with bling, like the Platinum, will have lower payload capacities.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is how you figure how much trailer you can tow:

1. Add weights of driver and all passengers who will ride in vehicle while towing
2. If tonneau cover or topper, add its weight
3. Add weight of WD hitch you will use (100# is a good general estimate)
4. Add estimated weight of all "stuff" you will carry in vehicle while towing, including but not limited to, generators, grills, firewood, chairs, tables, bicycles, whatever
5. Subtract whatever sum you got from the PAYLOAD RATING on the sticker inside the vehicle's driver's side door.
6. That is the payload left for your tongue weight. Since the trailer should have 12% to 15% of its weight as tongue weight, divide the number from step 5 by 13%. Whatever THAT number is should be the approximate GVWR (not dry weight) of the largest trailer you can tow.

MY truck's numbers. (Ford says I have a "tow rating" of 11,800# and a "payload rating" of 1,895#.)

1. 400#
2. 200#
3. 100#
4a. 150# (portable boat we carry)
4b. 150# (everything else)
5. That 1000# subtracted from our 1895# payload rating leaves 895# for tongue weight
6. 1895#/13%=6884# (approximate)

I would consider going as high as 7500# GVWR maybe, MAYBE. We actually bought a trailer with a 6000# GVWR so we have about a 13% cushion between what we tow and the truck's maximums. I like some cushion.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds reasonable...I wouldn't want a big trailer if we do go that route..id think 25ft ?? Not sure what they would weigh

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If that's the case, I'd still stick to a #5000 to no more than #6000 GVWR travel trailer...

But, that's just me... You can tow however much you want of course..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
That chart says 7500

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, even with 4x4 it could still have a 3.31 rear end.. But, the 6 speed helps with that a little..

Sounds like it's just your standard "tow package" rig, which gives it a "tow rating" of no more than #9000 depending on the rear end gears.

All the info you need on the functions of the truck are in the owners manual. If you don't have the actual book in your glove box, you can get it online.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandservice/owner-manuals/

Look at the yellow sticker on the drivers door. That tells you how much you can load in the truck. Looks like you figured out the weight stickers, so the yellow one is in the same area.

I tow a #5000 22' TT with a Max Tow 13 F150... It has a "tow rating" of #11,000 but there is no way in heck I'd even come close to towing that much with my truck in a travel trailer format.

I've been towing trailers of all sorts since the mid 80's and this is what I feel comfortable with because I've towed overloaded before, and it's just more enjoyable to not be maxed out at my age now.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would go to as much as a #7500 fully loaded travel trailer with my truck, but I don't really need that much trailer and don't really want to buy a new one now..

Anyway, I'd stick to around a #6000 GVWR TT for the most part to start off with and when you gain the confidence in that and feel you need to go bigger, well, that's where all the $$ start leaving your bank account! ha, ha!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Of all the information you provided none of it is useful at all in determining tow capacity. The only way to find that number is too look it up in the guide 2oldman posted for you.
After you find the number you have to realize that it's not that simple. There are many different kinds of trailer. Among them all I think that a hard sided RV is the most difficult to tow. It has a very high frontal area for wind resistance, a very large side area to induce sway, a high percentage of tongue weight, and very little ability to move weight around to change the tongue weight.
A truck that can easily handle a boat or flatbed trailer of 8,000 pounds may struggle mightily with an RV of only 6,000 pounds.
Another number you need, which you didn't provide, is payload. This is probably the most important number, particularly for a class 1 truck like yours, in determining how large an RV you can tow. After putting people and gear in the truck and accounting for the weight of a WDH you will likely find that you don't have enough payload left to account for the tongue weight of an RV that weighs near your published towing capacity. The only way most class 1 trucks can tow at their published number is with an empty truck bed, no passengers, and with a trailer like a boat trailer that has a rather small percentage of tongue weight.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Tell ya what, Iโ€™ve towed lots of heavy stuff with different engines, that 5.0 liter Ford is a pulling animal,,, for sure out pulled the 5.4 and the GMC v8 but I hear ya on trying to over do