cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Badlands scenic drive

Frenchy33
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is planning a trip to the Black Hills and on our way back east are planning on driving through the Badlands. We’ll be towing the trailer at that point and I’m curious what the road condition is. The roads themselves look good but what about the hill grades? I noticed via Google Street View or a hill warning but no grade indicator. I have a 30’ Coleman tower by F150.
11 REPLIES 11

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Rover_Bill and Monkey44. Great vistas, mostly grasslands above the canyons and easy to drive. I don't mind hills and if I have to go slow, so what. I do tow and we toured both in the Bounder we had with a 454/carb. pulling the towed and the Suzi alone.

Scott's Bluff is not too far away and worth a day or two also. End of the prarrie and start of the various trails west.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Rover_Bill and Monkey44. Great vistas, mostly grasslands above the canyons and easy to drive. I don't mind hills and if I have to go slow, so what. I do tow and we toured both in the Bounder we had with a 454/carb. pulling the towed and the Suzi alone.

Scott's Bluff is not too far away and worth a day or two also. End of the prarrie and start of the various trails west.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We agree with Rover Bill -- the Badlands -- an excellent park and it needs to be experienced completely, from all angles and in all its areas.

It's one of our favorites, and less crowded than many other parks in the west.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you approach the Bad Lands from the north (I-90), they will appear to be just a bunch of colorful canyons that appear out of nowhere (below the horizon) - just nice. To get the full grandeur of the tall spires, you need to view them from the south (near route 44). The White River KOA is an excellent CG to stay at for a 2-day stay.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Frenchy,

The loop tour though the Bad Lands does not go any place that matters, so no one on the loop should be in a hurry. Take your time. Stop when you want either for yourself of to let the back up pass by. There will be lots of opportunities.

Be very cautious if you wander into the grass. That is rattle snake country. They will avoid you if you give them a chance.

The French named it the "Land that is bad to cross". They got that right.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
Loved the drive. It was freshly new asphalt back in 2010. As stated, there was a very steep grade on the west side of the park, but it was very easy to drive. I made it through with my 40' 5'er. You'll have no problem. Take it slow, and enjoy.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
If you were thinking about camping at Sage Creek within the National Park, recent policy changes prohibit campers longer than 18' from that campground.

NPS website - planning your visit

trailerbob
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I can think of towing a 30 ft TT through the Badlands or any scenic drive for that matter, might be trying to find a place to park the rig to explore on foot. That was the only problem we ever encountered during scenic drives towing the TT. Depending on the scenic drive, As a last resort we sometimes dropped the trailer if possible at the visitor center only after talking to Rangers to see if it was ok and then circle back around and pick up the TT. Yes it might be time consuming but then again we are retired and not in a hurry. Just my 2 cents worth.

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there and drove the loop/scenic highway through the badlands. The road is good, like most any 2 lane Highway. however, there are some very steep grades, both up and down. Just select a lower gear on the downgrades to save wear on your brakes. You should have no problems, even with just a 1/2 ton trow vehicle.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be no problem we were thru there back in June.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Frenchy33 wrote:
Our family is planning a trip to the Black Hills and on our way back east are planning on driving through the Badlands. We’ll be towing the trailer at that point and I’m curious what the road condition is. The roads themselves look good but what about the hill grades? I noticed via Google Street View or a hill warning but no grade indicator. I have a 30’ Coleman tower by F150.

It was made to drive through - You will not have an Issue.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach