cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Off grid TC camping sites in Northern Idaho

standdup
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. My wife and are traveling through N Idaho for the first time and really hate the typical campgrounds with small sites and close neighbors. We prefer to be off grid and can go for a week easily without needing to dump and replenish things.Can any of you recommend some more remote, primitive camping areas in that part of the state? On a lake or stream would be great but not required.

Our rig is a Ram 3500 srw Cummins with a Bigfoot 10.6 and solar.

Thanks for any help given.....
20 REPLIES 20

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Try Bull River NFS Campground about 50 miles south of Sandpoint Idaho. Its actually in Montana but the roads wander back and forth across the state line. Small campground with host, lake, free firewood etc.
Regards and happy camping
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
I don't even know where to get bear spray

Probably not a bad idea as in eastern Washington they just had an FS worker surrounded by wolves and she had to climb a tree to get away and a helicopter flew in for the rescue..She did pepper spray atleast one wolf with little reaction from the wolf.

Idaho has a bear warning for huckleberry pickers from fish and game..The bears are kinda angry this year..Just heard on the scanner one up at Elk summit by Powell was reeking havoc as they called dispatch for help.

They musta knowed she was a leaf licker! I'd love to get surrounded by a pack in the woods, but somehow I've rarely seen one and the couple I stumbled on up relatively close once were off like a prom dress as soon as they spotted me.
Wish they wanted to be my friend.....
Up in WI last year, had one in a field. Way off. I only got 2 hay bales into the field and it was gonzo. Got maybe to 300yds, still way outta range since I no had a rifle.

Now that we know your personal opinions on wolves, bears, guns, and USFS researchers, got anything important to say?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

standdup
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up going way up high above bonners ferry to a place called Roman Nose. Twas hard to get to as we had to get there via the long way in due a bridge being out. My Cummins worked pretty hard getting us up there via the switchbacks but we made it and it was worth it. We were the only ones there and we were able to swim in the clear mountain lake. Super experience!

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
TxTiger wrote:
Take bear spray.

Ya know, I've been an east coast camper for a few years and we're headed out US 2 from the UP to Everett WA in a couple of weeks. I don't even know where to get bear spray.:E I'll bet it's illegal in Taxachusetts.

I just looked at that route on Google Maps. It looks like a fantastic trip. Hope you enjoy.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Ya,sometimes the bear spray can works and sometimes it doesn't, so I came up with some Idaho bear/wolf spray that works every time and I made it in my truck camper, at the time.

I hooked up the atv trailer to my TC and took my son around to his lawn mowing jobs and as he was working,I was making,Idaho bear spray.This spray is guaranteed to work!

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:

Probably not a bad idea as in eastern Washington they just had an FS worker surrounded by wolves and she had to climb a tree to get away and a helicopter flew in for the rescue..She did pepper spray atleast one wolf with little reaction from the wolf.

Idaho has a bear warning for huckleberry pickers from fish and game..The bears are kinda angry this year..Just heard on the scanner one up at Elk summit by Powell was reeking havoc as they called dispatch for help.

They musta knowed she was a leaf licker! I'd love to get surrounded by a pack in the woods, but somehow I've rarely seen one and the couple I stumbled on up relatively close once were off like a prom dress as soon as they spotted me.
Wish they wanted to be my friend.....
Up in WI last year, had one in a field. Way off. I only got 2 hay bales into the field and it was gonzo. Got maybe to 300yds, still way outta range since I no had a rifle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add..You can get bear spray at Walmart or Amazon.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
TxTiger wrote:
Take bear spray.

Ya know, I've been an east coast camper for a few years and we're headed out US 2 from the UP to Everett WA in a couple of weeks. I don't even know where to get bear spray.:E I'll bet it's illegal in Taxachusetts.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
Take bear spray.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Hells Canyon is a nice area.

Not in the Summer time. Pittsburgh Landing regularly reaches 100 degrees this time of year... Hades, it was 100 in early June. The move developed camp grounds (read state)have power, but are a bit pricey and often need reservations in both Montana, Idaho, and Oregon Go Spring or fall.
There are lots of small National Forest Campgrounds up there. Our favorite is Bull River.
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Priest lake is nice but we stayed away because it's loaded with people.On one trip my wife counted license plates,Washington plates outnumbered Idaho by a 2-1 margin..Spokane is like 39 miles from Coeurdalene and the people from Washington come over in droves.

Up the CDA river from Kingston up is nice with lots of dispersed camping..There is like 7 lakes between Rose lake and St. Maries to fish with some camping and my personal favorite is Wallace to Avery over moon pass and I won't say publicly anymore about that area.Avery up the St Joe river is pretty awesome and lot's of wildlife.

I used to work at the Linfor sawmill up the CDA pulling green chain years ago and lived at Rose lake/Kingston/Silverton and up the CDA river...Lots of high mountain lakes to explore but with a TC I am not sure how they are anymore..Glidden lakes and Elsie were two of my favorites.

I enjoyed my time in that area before it became a boom area and the population exploded.The only reason I would go back for a short stay is huckleberries..Second to none and the fishing isn't bad.

Good luck and have fun in North Idaho.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
NF campgrounds or just start driving forest roads. GPS with topo and forest road app/map. Buy a state topo map. Look up NF campgrounds in the area. Or just stumble across them.....
Pretty much any lake or larger stream up in the NF has pull outs and parking areas of its adjacent to a forest road.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

standdup
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ll probably spend a day in Bonnerโ€™s Ferry area doing laundry etc. Plan was to go to Priest lake area after that , but weโ€™re looking for ideas.