Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 2WD 2500 Ram Crew Cab HD SLT SB Automatic Cummins

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

New here. We're thinking about purchasing a 5th wheeler and do some traveling for about a year or so. I would like to know if my truck is capable of safely pulling a 5th wheel, then we'll know what to look for. If it can't, then we need a different plan. I don't trust a dealer and was hoping to find those in the know here. Not sure what the gearing is. I read elsewhere that the gearing would be posted in the glove box, but not my particular truck. I'm running Michelin LT265/70R17.

We've been pulling a 19 foot (pretty heavy for its size) 2008 Forest River (hitch type) and want something a little larger. I've attached the information on my Ram(s) door and information about the Forest River (for no particular reason).

https://secure2.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/167810264

https://secure2.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/167810265

-Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Not really. The axle manufacturer rating on that axle is not 6000 its 11,000.

Every place I have looked says 6,000# GAWR. For example this site for the 2004-2005.

http://dodgeram.info/2004/load-tow/2500.html

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Not really. The axle manufacturer rating on that axle is not 6000 its 11,000.
Dodge does not make the axle.
Your rear tires are your real world weight capacity limit. Next is your springs.
Both of those factors can be upgraded.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Squattingdog wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That 5.9L CUMMINS is great motor
Rear Diff 3:73 gearing
Trucks RAWR is 6010#
Truck rear tires are 3195#/each at 80 psi

With only 9000# GVWR you will easily exceed that rating
But stay under/at RAWR and you will be just fine
(Folks are going to flame me....but GVWR is for MFG Class Rating/Warranty and Registration purposes....NOT a 'Legal' issue. Axle/tire ratings are)

GVWR 12K 5vr with a wet pin of 2650# (22%) would be a good match for truck

VIN Decoder

I'm trying to understand all this. After looking up exactly what GVWR means and doing basic calcuations, I see that I will easily exceed my GVWR with 2 adults, 2 dogs and the diesel fuel. Of course that's without actually going to a weigh station.

I'm not sure I understand RAWR. I know my rear axle is rated at 6,000#. Are you saying I add my actual (meaning actually weighed) GVWR (gas, people etc.) and the Hitch weight together and they shouldn't exceed 6,000#'s?

Doing the math (without actually going to a weigh station) it looks like I'm at about 5,600#'s, or 400#'s from the axle rating on the three 5th wheel trailers that we like.

Thanks,
-SD

Seems even IF I had a brand new Ram 2500 that my GVWR is almost the same as my 2005. The sticker on my door says 9000#GVWR. I see that the Ford F-250's are quite a bit more in GVWR. Am I missing something here?

My suggestion would be fill the truck with fuel, add any camping equipment, plus the people plus pets that will travel with you, and go to a CAT scale, and have the rear axle weighed. Subtract that number from 6000 and you have the max payload in pin weight or hitch weight you can add and still be within manufacturer specs for the rear axle.

This is exactly what I did with our 2004.5 Ram Cummins Crew Cab, 4WD, standard bed. The difference for me was almost exactly 3000 lbs. Cost to weight at CAT scale was $10. I had a full tank of fuel, the wife, the dog, and anything else we carry in the truck when camping.

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That 5.9L CUMMINS is great motor
Rear Diff 3:73 gearing
Trucks RAWR is 6010#
Truck rear tires are 3195#/each at 80 psi

With only 9000# GVWR you will easily exceed that rating
But stay under/at RAWR and you will be just fine
(Folks are going to flame me....but GVWR is for MFG Class Rating/Warranty and Registration purposes....NOT a 'Legal' issue. Axle/tire ratings are)

GVWR 12K 5vr with a wet pin of 2650# (22%) would be a good match for truck

VIN Decoder

I'm trying to understand all this. After looking up exactly what GVWR means and doing basic calcuations, I see that I will easily exceed my GVWR with 2 adults, 2 dogs and the diesel fuel. Of course that's without actually going to a weigh station.

I'm not sure I understand RAWR. I know my rear axle is rated at 6,000#. Are you saying I add my actual (meaning actually weighed) GVWR (gas, people etc.) and the Hitch weight together and they shouldn't exceed 6,000#'s?

Doing the math (without actually going to a weigh station) it looks like I'm at about 5,600#'s, or 400#'s from the axle rating on the three 5th wheel trailers that we like.

Thanks,
-SD

Seems even IF I had a brand new Ram 2500 that my GVWR is almost the same as my 2005. The sticker on my door says 9000#GVWR. I see that the Ford F-250's are quite a bit more in GVWR. Am I missing something here?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Squattingdog wrote:
... no camper package.

Might need bags.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
... no camper package.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Squattingdog wrote:
This is bad?

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 8,800 lbs

Only if it bothers you to run over GVWR, I won’t tell you it is right, but I and many others do it. As I stated before run your VIN through the VIN decoder in an earlier post, if you have the camper package you might not need air bags.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"addition make sure your radiator is clean inside and out."

YES, especially second gen 24V 01 & 02 models. Recently bought a 01 2500 Sport, it has a catch bottle for the blow by. PROBLEM is the mist gets sucked around the front of the radiator and with dust and dirt WILL get clogged. I showed this to the owner before purchase, he had no idea! Remove radiator, de grease and clean or take to radiator shop to do so. Mine was completely covered with sludge. Temporarily I gunked it and hosed off so I could tow my boat without overheating. I will be fully cleaning soon.

To cure this issue PEAK makes a NICE relocation kit that I have already installed.

"Peak Diesel Crankcase Vent Filter Kit 88-02 5.9L Dodge Cummins"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
This is bad?

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 8,800 lbs

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Squattingdog wrote:
Thanks,

I was planning on installing air bags, different rims, tires, Pacbrake on the truck. How about this one?

33.92 ft.
Dry Weight 9,970 lbs.
Payload Capacity 3,645 lbs.
GVWR 13,615 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,615 lbs.

Well that is a better fit, I doubt that you will use all the 3,645# payload on the 5er. Use the VIN decoder to see if the truck has a camper package, which will add carrying capacity, but won’t raise the pathetic GVWR on your Ram. Understand that with even with a lightly loaded TV you have the possibility of running as much as 1,000# to 1,200# over GVWR, but will still be within the rear GAWR.
To me for you get the PacBrake, just drove to Flagstaff from Phoenix and Darn there are some steep hills on I17! I addition make sure your radiator is clean inside and out.
Look at my signature our 5er is 9,820# Dry and has a 12,360# GVWR and tows great, small chip 50 HP and 140# torque, and RV275 injectors.

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,

I was planning on installing air bags, different rims, tires, Pacbrake on the truck. How about this one?

33.92 ft.
Dry Weight 9,970 lbs.
Payload Capacity 3,645 lbs.
GVWR 13,615 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,615 lbs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^oooh, ummmm kinda? Not really.
Many will say it’s too much pin weight. Pin weight is fine, truck will handle it with the right tires and some airbags, but that’s allotta trailer if you’re asking the question.
Power wise she’ll be a pooch too if your truck is stiock. Think a little smaller !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
So, for example, will my truck handle something like this safely? I assume not.

A 2014 Grand Design Solitude. Approximate Dimensions: Length: 35.92 ft; Width: 8.42 ft. (101 in.); Height: 12.92 ft. (155 in.)

Weight: Dry Weight: 12,650 lbs;
Payload Capacity: 3,250 lbs;
GVWR: 16,000 lbs;
Hitch Weight: 2,600 lbs.