cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add a cargo trailer to enhance your Class C experience...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from our first trip with the new cargo trailer and wow, what a difference it made. Riding motorcycles and traveling in our 24' Nexus Class C have gone hand in hand for the last 3 years {I tow about 9K miles a year riding 15K+}. I had a small Kendon single trailer that handled my Harley Super Glide very well but...

Succumbed to the desire for a bigger bike with more bells and whistles and recently went from the Harley to an Indian Springfield. At 862# the Springfield was just a tad too much bike for the Kendon and frankly I had been lusting after a nice enclosed cargo trailer for quite a while. Getting the bike out of the weather and away from the prying eyes of the bad guys were high on my list.

Sold the Kendon and Harley and got serious about shopping for a new cargo trailer. Worked a deal on this gem:

The trailer is built by Pace American, 6 X 10" {14' overall} and has a GVWR of 2,990". Our Nexus Phantom 23P {24'} is powered by the awesome 6.8L Ford V-10 married to the 5 speed Torque Shift tranmission. Real world, fully loaded {half a tank of fuel - 27 gallons, quarter tank of water 10 gallons, my bride and I and a coach full of tools and toys we weighed in at 13,808# when we returned home this afternoon, on a GCWR of 18,500.

The trailer weighs 1,360# and the bike 860. I have another 240# of gear including the spare, BBQ, Firepit, compressor and a few misc tools for a total of 2,460# {the coach is rated to tow 5K'}. Being a single axle the tongue weight is 435# which = 17.6 percent but the hitch is rated for 500#.

Began making it mine... painted the interior with three coats of exterior semi gloss, added 15' of E track using their joist hangers to run two 2 X 6's across the front with the upper supporting a .75" plywood shelf {66" X 21"} and the lower enclosing storage for larger, heavier gear {LP cylinder, BBQ, firepit etc}. Two 4' sections down the middle of the trailer provide secure attachment points for my bike. A coat rack and a couple of Tap lights and we were ready to roll.

I now have nearly 60 additional square feet of space {2460# of payload with 500+ still available} and with 7' of headroom I can even add a pair of 10' kayaks should I so desire. At 5' 8" wide the trailer will swallow most quads/four runners and still have lots of room for the additional toys that come with them.

We just spent 4 days/3 nights up at Big Lake in the White mountains of eastern Arizona {our campsite sat at 9,178'}. As you can imagine the 450 mile round trip involves a huge amount of climbing as most of the ride is at 5K' to 9K'+. Was easily able to maintain the speed limit {+/- 5 mph} for the entire trip and my mileage only dropped half a mpg from 9.5 to 9.

If motorcycles, quads or kayaks are not your thing just think of the storage potential for other gear. Cargo trailers come in every size and shape imaginable, tow like a dream and are surpisingly affordable {I have less than $4K invested and bought new}.

As far as hooking up behind our rather large box, no problem. I just aimed the rear view camera down to show the ball and backing under it is a piece of cake. It does cost me an additional $15 a month for the extra length at my storage yard but I can live with that.

Works for me.

:B:C:B
6 REPLIES 6

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I carry those items as well as a HD Milwaukee 18 volt impact gun with torque stick and socket.
I had a tire shop use my tools to remove and replace a tire. Then check the torque with their torque wrench. It was spot on at 450 ft. lbs. It's nice for the peace of mind that what I would use, will actually work.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
I also carry a compressor, bottle jack, jackstands, large "X" lug wrench, wheel chocks and a tire repair kit {and yes, I know how to use them}.

We have Coach Net and have never needed them but.... sitting in the dead zone on the shoulder of an interstate is no place I am going to linger if CN is booked up.

We carry along everything for flat tires that you do ... except for one more thing ... a couple of trucker-size tire inflation gas cans with the sealant that squirts inside the tire to seal small leaks ... which I'd try first before breaking out the spare tire, or the compressor, or the tire hole punch & plug kit.

Continuing your point about sitting ... or sitting in places like this out in the middle of nowhere along the Salmon River where CN will not come (that's our little Itasca in the upper right) ;):
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't you love that E-track system ? I see you have it on the floor.

Can I get some 'spare tire' credit ? I have one on the class c too. :B

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaxom, thanks... and you are preaching to the choir. LMAO. My Nexus also has a fully inflated spare mounted on a custom rack under the rear of the coach. I stopped at the Nexus facotry 3 years ago on a cross country trip and had them weld the mount in place.

The bolt on spare bracket that I previously had on the rear bumper fractured after one too many potholes. I also carry a compressor, bottle jack, jackstands, large "X" lug wrench, wheel chocks and a tire repair kit {and yes, I know how to use them}.

We have Coach Net and have never needed them but.... sitting in the dead zone on the shoulder of an interstate is no place I am going to linger if CN is booked up.

:S

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Nicely done.

Rant on.
Amazingly, you have a spare tire!!! Wow. It's a pet peeve of mine that people don't carry trailer spare tires. How many time have we seen cargo trailers or boat trailers leaning over on the shoulder of the road??? Sometimes with someone babysitting them, usually not. Grrr.
Rant off.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice trailer.
We have downsized from a larger custom made alum model trailer to use a Cargo Pro 5x12 v-nose, just trying to find a way to steal my daughters Harley . ๐Ÿ™‚