cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Door Steps Won't Come In

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
My door steps just quit coming in. Had no trouble with them and now on the road. Any ideas would be appreciated I'm on the road..
N4FAP
17 REPLIES 17

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
Well first I printed the manual for the Kwikee steps. I have an 04 and looking at the parts sheet it takes 909510000 which 90% do. All I had to worry about the color of the door switch, which mine was black. Having ordered a controller already I cut the wires going to the motor so I could use the connecter in the motor to verify what that the motor was good. By reversing the wires I could work the motor and gear box back and forth. My steps worked smoothly with the motor off so no trouble there. The Kwikee service manual lists all the parts for all of their equipment but doesn't say any thing out testing or problem solving.
N4FAP

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Had that happen a few times. They tried to come in. Dirt etc had gotten onto the mechanism and the step links or whatever the proper term is.
It was hard to get underneath with steps out but I did and leaned the motor arm and bearing good with silicone spray wiped it and sprayed it had wife close the door and open it and sprayed and wiped it a bit more before finally spraying it with steps out again. Let it dry. The step arms or links always get washed of course. The nylon bushings don't want grease neither does the motor arm and bearing. Grease attracts and holds dirt and grit.
There is another step manufacturer that makes almost identical unit but with sealed bearing areas. I looked it up once and posted here but a long time ago.
Switches need cleaning just a bit sometimes. I carry a spray can of electrical contact cleaner.Too much will actually inhibit contact if left to dry before closing too long.
However the motor is Ford window unit. Many times there have been discussion about replacing it.
Really be handy if site maintained an index of problems and fixes and parts.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What year is your MH? If too old you may not find a replacement controller. If you take the cover off the controller and slide the board out, you will see a couple of relays inside. Look for melted plastic on the case of the relay, that is the one that needs to be replaced. If you have good soldering skills or know someone that has it can be replaced for less than $4.

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
Tried all the good advice you fellows gave me and I have determined that it is the controller. I took the gear box and motor off and put 12 volts and it worked. I checked and it has 12 volts too it and the switch has 12 volts. No voltage coming from the controller. So I guess I'll order the controller. Thanks for all the info and advice it helped me a great deal. CharWan.
N4FAP

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Have they been lubed recently and do you have good 12v power?
2014 American Eagle

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
charwan wrote:
My door steps just quit coming in. Had no trouble with them and now on the road. Any ideas would be appreciated I'm on the road..

Check the Ground connection.

Check the Magnet.

Good Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
If you have power to the motor before you spend the dollars on a new one, take it out and apart. I was told the motor was bad but it was just the plastic bushings. I think it was around 6 dollars to repair it. I don't know what type steps you have but I expect if you have power to the motor it is hanging up due to the bushings.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kwikee uses common window riser motors. both Ford and GM depending on the step model.

First... You do not want to be anywhere the steps might go to when the door is opened and closed,

But try this, "Tunk" the motor.. I use the HANDLE of a hammer (hold the head in my hand) a few times then try opening and closing the door again.

1: "The switch by the door"
Old controllers it would indeed lock the steps out or in
new ones lock out only..
Ignition overrides in both cases so if the engine is running and you close the door it SHOULD close.

2: There is a magnetic reed switch in the door jam. Normally about 1/2 inch from the bottom on the latch side where the screen sits.. For some reason the magnet (Which is in the screen door) was not getting close enough. I had to bend things a bit.. Then it worked.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gottahaveit
Listen to what Doug has said many times..we did and yes it was the Motor. Just order a new one from amazon and fixed it once and for all. It's a easy job to do. We had the motor shipped to the Elks Lodge we were staying at and did it at our spot. So glad for the help ๐Ÿ™‚
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Might help to know what brand of steps,model and year.

If they are Kwikee, check the ground, fuses and the on/off switch.

If all is okay, as per Dougrainer, with the engine running, have someone close the door as you tap the motor. If it starts operating, you have found the problem.

Click on the following,Click here.

Use common sense and keep fingers out of the mechinism and your body free of step travel.

You need to disconnect the two wire cord to the motor and remove the three bolts that hold the motor to the gearbox and linkage. Easy to R&R.

If you download the step operators manual, it will give you lots of info. Need the series number and year of manufacture to get the right manual.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

handy2sum
Explorer
Explorer
yes - confirm the door switch magnet is in place! simple quick fix if its not. We had that problem and spent hours trouble shooting the step motor etc until we finally noticed the magnet was missing. That was last year. Few months ago one of our traveling companion complained his step quit working and he too was checking motor parts etc until we asked if the magnet was there... it wasn't. Problem solved.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone operate the door while you are listening to the switch underneath the step. If it clicks, it is the motor. tap the motor with a hammer while they continue to operate the door. if no click, check the switch or the controller.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, check the switch by the door.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem last year. It was the magnetic switch in the door that tells the system that it is closed. The magnet had fallen out into the door. Was able to fish it out and glued it into itโ€™s carrier.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website