Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup Camera Upgrade

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I need good backup camera advice please:

Winnebago Sightseer 30B
Voyager black/white wired camera & monitor.

I want to upgrade to a NICE color system.

Ideas please..... Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
14 REPLIES 14

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
Nice color camera system does have better degree of color than black/white wired camera & monitor.Personally,I recommend haloview backup camera that may be fit for you.I hope you can find the good camera products as soon as possible.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I ordered a new monitor and camera kit from rvcams.com.

Everything plugged right in to my used cable and it works perfect.

HAPPY.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My monitor is mounted between the sun visors on an upside-down bracket. I could mount one on the dash, but then I'd have to find a way to get the wires and cable from the ceiling into the dash.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I will stick with wired, if the Voyager cable can be adapted to the new style camera and monitor. I don't want to run a new cable.

I agree with other posts about rv.cams. Many folks on this forum have used them with great results. He will have the adapters also.

You can cut and splice (solder of course) the old cable to the new equipment if you can not find adapters. (It really is not very difficult to run a new cable down the cavity behind the rear cap, along the frame rail, and into the drivers area.)

If you want to "do it yourself" to keep the cost down, buy the camera and monitor from amazon or ebay, and look for adapters from:

vehicle safety supply

I've never purchased from vehicle safety supply, but I saved the reference from another post where someone was looking for camera and monitor cable connector adapters.

7 inch color monitors are fairly inexpensive, and you should be able to find one for $35 to $50. Don't go too cheap on the camera, however. Look for a camera with image sensor...ie 1/3 "CCD. The CCD image sensor will generally provide a better picture than a CMOS sensor. Many CMOS sensors are also smaller, often 1/4 inch.

Some other considerations on the camera/monitor: do you want audio from the rear camera? do you want night vision on the camera? do you want narrow or wide angle on the camera (I've seen ranges from 75 degrees to 120 degrees).

To find systems on ebay or amazon, search for "rear view system for trucks".

I've installed several from components purchased online. Your biggest problem may be getting that old monitor out of the dash. Removing the old monitor was a beast on my 2000 Holiday Rambler motorhome.

If I can help with questions, let me know via post here or private message.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV CAMS helped me wire a new Voyager system into a nearly 30 year old wiring harness. Works great and no now power and no new wires. Awesome folks.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I will stick with wired, if the Voyager cable can be adapted to the new style camera and monitor. I don't want to run a new cable.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced with a wireless system. It still requires power at both the camera and monitor. Camera was a bit$h to get into old camera cavity on rear of coach. I have had all kinds of issues, with "Not loaded" error codes (no picture for this trip), to a series of still shots being displayed. I am also having issues with seeing the monitor pic in bright sunlight. If yo have polarized sunglasses - you don't see the image.
Other then that - no problem.
I would get a 9in monitor and consider Black and white!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If batteries aren't properly maintained they lose their ability to hold a charge. On the surface they appear to be OK - you can charge them and they will initially show high voltage ... but when you apply a load to them they quickly discharge. Have the batteries load tested at any tire/auto shop. I can go a week dry camping on two type 24 batteries so long as I am not using the furnace.
Kevin

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gulfcoast wrote:
What about a wireless camera system from Amazon?

Wireless cameras are only wireless in the connection to the monitor. They still have to have switchable 12 volt power, etc. The other problem is that the wireless systems do not have the same sharpness or ability to provide decent nighttime visibility.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
www.rvcams.com
One click, call with questions if you have them....Done!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
What about a wireless camera system from Amazon?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I'm not saying that I want to stick with Voyager at all. I simply want a good camera system.

Look at the menu on the left. The RV Cams carries many different brands...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not saying that I want to stick with Voyager at all. I simply want a good camera system.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This place will have everything you need for a color system as well as an adapters that you need to use your existing cables. RV Cams