cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short Bed Truck with Long Bed Camper

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We just got a new (used) truck about a month ago. It's a short bed which is fine with the 5er and we got a pretty good deal. But then we started talking about an alaska trip for a summer possibly followed by a pan america highway trip a year or so later...a truck camper sounds like the better tool for the job.

Now if we can find a short bed camper we like that's preferred but reading online, people freak out about the COG being 6" behind the axle because your front wheels will come off the ground.

Assuming you are within the axle rating, I don't see how this could be an issue. We aren't looking for a monster camper...maybe in the 2500lb range.

2500lb 6" behind the axle and the truck has a 156" wheel base. Run the calculations and that's only 96lb shifted from the front to rear axle. A good sneeze could shift that much plus will likely have weight in the back seat that will put as much back on the front axle.

Am I missing something? I get that it's preferred to have COG in front of the axle but if everything is in the weight limits, I'm not seeing where it should have any significant impact.

Second related question: I've seen a few allusions online to supporting the overhang but not with the tailgate...but can't find anything to suggest if it's needed or what people are using to provide this support.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV
50 REPLIES 50

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Where is the moderator?

Working. Why didn't you hit the Notify Moderator button?

Apparently you all have nothing better to do than crab at each other.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the moderator?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
I got a serious problem with you "been there and done that" types, because, just because you "been there and done that" exactly ONCE, doesn't mean that it will work for everyone, with every truck, with every camper.

A statistical sample of ONE is not at all scientific, and hardly makes you an authority. They say it's better to be lucky than good, and I think you are mistaking luck for skill.

I don't see ANY of you advocating putting something like a Host Mammoth on a short bed truck. Why is that? I thought it was "no problem" to put a long bed camper on a short bed truck. It ALWAYS works, doesn't it? So why not go for broke and put a REAL camper on a short bed? Oh, maybe because the CG is too far back? I thought that wasn't a problem. Oh, maybe because there's too much unsupported floor and it may cause structural damage to the camper? I thought that wasn't a problem...

Maybe this will get this thread shut down.

I'm not looking for examples. I'm looking for the mechanics of why some people are getting paranoid about minor shifts of COG on trucks that are otherwise within weight ratings.

Since the original post was for a 2500lb TC not a 6000lb host mammoth, it's not relevant to the discussion.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Weird......I have a problem with folks who donโ€™t know their @ss from a baloney sandwich about trucks, mechanical aptitude or mechanics or materials who believe whatever the printed word is, is the absolute authority. Actually I donโ€™t. I just consider them gullible.....
Anyway, Mayteg proved he can overload a short bed truck with the best of them with that pic! Long live SB trucks!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I got a serious problem with you "been there and done that" types, because, just because you "been there and done that" exactly ONCE,

Good for you but if you would read more carefully you will see that I mentioned two times in this thread not once.

It's not rocket science..An 8ft camper will work on a short bed truck,pure and simple and it's done quite often and the op would be within all his specs as he stated,not like most here.

There is several in this link to look at.

8ft camper on shortbed truck
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I got a serious problem with you "been there and done that" types, because, just because you "been there and done that" exactly ONCE, doesn't mean that it will work for everyone, with every truck, with every camper.

A statistical sample of ONE is not at all scientific, and hardly makes you an authority. They say it's better to be lucky than good, and I think you are mistaking luck for skill.

I don't see ANY of you advocating putting something like a Host Mammoth on a short bed truck. Why is that? I thought it was "no problem" to put a long bed camper on a short bed truck. It ALWAYS works, doesn't it? So why not go for broke and put a REAL camper on a short bed? Oh, maybe because the CG is too far back? I thought that wasn't a problem. Oh, maybe because there's too much unsupported floor and it may cause structural damage to the camper? I thought that wasn't a problem...

Maybe this will get this thread shut down.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kayteg1 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

If you have some facts beyond titanic analogies, let me know, I am interested.

When RV have structural problems, they usually show as cracks, delamintation and other symptoms before actuall separation happens.
So finding RV broken in 1/2 might never happen as owners address the issue having enough warning.
But just for the joke, here is analogy.

Doesn't look like a slide in camper and the camper looks like it's still solid.

I seriously doubt a 3/4 ton truck frame in good shape is going to crack in half with a little 2500lb camper in the bed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Close this argument down.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I hope you know you are doing clown of yourself?
I carried dry camper on short pickup when I bought it, but short time after I bought dually for it.
It is a bit different story to carry 4200lb of dry camper and different when you load it to 6500lb.
I check the camper under when I was switching the trucks and yes, I could see imprint of short flatbed on camper floor.
When dealing with several parameters and loading them to extreme, you have to be very careful. With some common sense you can make it acceptable risk, or make newspaper headlines.
You don't know who other people reading the forum might be and when you give them "Go ahead" on small risk -they apply it to bigger one.

A clown..I can deal with that passing on what I have seen and done from actually doing what an op ask...I do not have to guess because I have done the exact same thing...

You have not!

Unless you have loaded a 8ft(long bed) camper on a shortbed as the op asked..

I have,the clown I am.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you know you are doing clown of yourself?
I carried dry camper on short pickup when I bought it, but short time after I bought dually for it.
It is a bit different story to carry 4200lb of dry camper and different when you load it to 6500lb.
I check the camper under when I was switching the trucks and yes, I could see imprint of short flatbed on camper floor.
When dealing with several parameters and loading them to extreme, you have to be very careful. With some common sense you can make it acceptable risk, or make newspaper headlines.
You don't know who other people reading the forum might be and when you give them "Go ahead" on small risk -they apply it to bigger one.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
So what broke?..Nothing on my end doing that and the op has a pickup rated for his camper of choice.

You know by posting pic's those RV.net guy's are zeroing in on you...(laughing)..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I owned a 1/2 ton short bed and put an 8 foot overhead camper on it,so I know how things work like that..Do you?..

Point is,you have no first hand knowledge of what the op is asking..Your just guessing if you have never been there done that.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Here is my 12' camper on short bed pickup.
What were you saying about not knowing what talking about?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 1/2 ton short bed and put an 8 foot overhead camper on it,so I know how things work like that..Do you?..

Point is,you have no first hand knowledge of what the op is asking..Your just guessing if you have never been there done that.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Geez..Kaytag..Have you ever owned anything besides your monster camper on your 3500 super pickup truck?..I have owned close to or over 15 truck campers on everything from a 1500 to a 3500 on everything from a 1/2 ton stepside to a 3500 work truck.

Let's here some real experience here...

And what that has to do with anything?