cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adirondack N Y RV Park recommendations

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Illinois to Niagara Falls in September (4 mile Creek State Park) and thinking about exploring the Adirondack Mountains for a week or so after that. Want 30 amp elect at a minimum and water would be nice. We looked at Lake George but pretty pricy for us and would not use any amities other than showers. We enjoy hiking lake / stream / river areas. Biking and enjoying Nature. Thoughts? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Only issue you may have is Syracuse interchange. Otherwise "hammer down" LOL. Once you get off 81 above Watertown, it's all 2 lane rural roads. Nice drive. Probly won't get "congested" again until Saranac Lake/Lake Placid areas. Seeing you have a gasser, no probs w/ fueling up. You can look up T-way info to see if any accidents and T-way closures before leaving the Falls. Alt route if need be is 104 (brings you out approx 30 min north of Syr). You will also see Rte 3 along 104 near Fulton. Can turn onto it, but lil more in way of small towns. Likewise if a tie up on 81, Rte 11 is alt (runs parallel).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
GMC is gas.............does OK as we are only around 5000 lbs dry. (prob 10,000 loaded LOL)
Thanks for route information. Seems like one day drive from Four Mile State Park in Youngstown to Wilmington should be OK. Any issues as far as traffic / times of day I should be aware of?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
90E to 81N and follow roads that mbopp said from here. Going to 365, 8 etc will be out of your way.

Is your truck gas or diesel?

This route takes you around north side of Ft Drum and thru Cranberry/Tupper and Saranac Lakes. Lake Placid can be a little tight, but semis go thru it.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe force of habit, but from Rochester we take I-90, I-81 at Syracuse, Rt 342 to Rt 3. Then the 3A bypass back to Rt 3, then Rt 86 to North Pole. If you go this route be forewarned - the speed limit in Harrisville is vigorously enforced.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies. Looks like North Pole Resorts will work great for us.
I'm wondering if anyone can give input on the travel from Niagara Falls area to Wilmington (North Pole Resort). Google maps says it should take a little over 6 hours and to travel I90, 365, 8, 87, 73. We have a 2500 GMC and pull a 30' travel trailer. Does this rout / time frame seem reasonable? Thanks again.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
North Pole Resorts, 100 Acre Woods side. North Pole is our choice if we want a full hookup site, otherwise we dry camp at one of the State DEC campgrounds.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week at the Lake Placid KOA and loved that area.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Personally I would stay at Lake George rv park. www.lakegeorgervpark.com or at Old Forge RV Resort. www.oldforgecamping.com
Both are located in the best of vacation paradise.
2010 Suncruiser

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at the North Pole Resort in Wilmington, NY, Jim and Mary Ellen are great host, clean private showers, well kept campgrounds.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2 campgrounds about 8-10 miles from Lake Placid are pretty much in heart of the 'dacks as the locals call it. 1 is a KOA, the other is private (North Pole Campground(?) was another thread about this area just recently)and seems to garner better reviews/votes. Lake George is about a 90 minute drive from Lake Placid. CG in LG area are pricey in season, but tend to drop off some after Labor Day. West Canada Creek Campground is approx 12 miles NNE of Utica or on very southern edge of the 'dacks. Old Forge, Inlet, Tupper Lake, Speculator all doable in a day. Old Forge camping resort has 30A, w/e sites (no full h/u or use of A/C's or elect water heaters)
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that the majority of the Adirondack and Catskill region campgrounds operated by the NY Department of Environmental Conservation have no hookups. The campgrounds in the rest of the state park regions are operated by the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Historical Preservation, and most have at least on site electrical hookups, with some parks also having at least a few sites with water on site. DPRHP also has a couple of parks with some hard to get full hook up sites.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate