cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5'er Length Where You Have Issues Finding Campgrounds/Sites

Future_5_er
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of selecting a fifth wheel RV. This would be our first RV of any type. We are considering true lengths of 31' to 40' (Keystone Cougar or Grand Design Reflection). I'm wondering at what length, if any, I might start having issues finding campgrounds/sites. That is, would I be somewhat or significantly restricted with the 40'?

FYI, upon purchase we plan to do cross-country travel for the first six months, then two to three months regionally each year after that.
42 REPLIES 42

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 40 feet and heavy fully loaded. I have not dragged and do not have any problems with sites in cg EXCEPT when there are vehicles parked all around when the spaces is already really narrow. That is why I have a eight foot bed.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
How does that even matter?

I think goducks' post pretty well covers it.

The other thing I'm curious about, having no 1st hand experience with maneuvering a 5th wheel, is whether they are more or less of a PITA to fit into tight site spots.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to think about is the more trailer you have behind the rear axle, the more opportunity you have to drag if pulling out of the highway up an incline. I pulled a 38' fifth wheel for several years and while we could usually find sites if we planned far enough ahead, there are not nearly as many options as for smaller trailers here on the east coast. Our current 31' rig is a dream to maneuver compared to that big one, and hopefully we will not drag off the spare tire anymore. Only you know the kind of roads you travel and kind of campgrounds you want to go to.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I figure about 4' less when hitched. My truck is 22' OAL and my 5er is 28' OAL for 50' total. Minus the 4' for the 5er/truck overhang factor and I'm at 46'. I can hang my rear over the backup curb about 3-4' so that gets me down to 42' or so.
42' is my minimum length that I look for when booking sites. It's worked out well so far.
Not all CG's measure the drive length the same. We camp at one CG and our favorite spot is listed at 30'. I have plenty of room with a lot leftover to park their. I still can't figure out why they think a 50+' long spot is 30'.
From the jaws on my 5th hitch to the face of the rear bumper is 51". should be close to that for most trucks using a standard non slide 5th hitch.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
memilanuk wrote:
So... about how much overhang is typical on a 5th wheel? i.e. for a TT, a '27' or '28' model ends up being more like 30-32' long bumper to bumper, plus the length of the TV.

Given that the 5th wheel connects (roughly) over the rear axle, is there a ball-park number for how much of say a 30' 5th wheel actually extends behind the rear bumper of the TV? 27'? 26?
How does that even matter? When you are set up for camping (tip to tip), that 30-foot fifth wheel or 30-foot TT is going to occupy 30-feet of length. Then you still have to consider that you will need to park the truck somewhere.
If you are thinking your are going to get a 30' fifth wheel into more spaces than a 28' TT; I think your going to find that ain't going to work out in your favor.

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
So... about how much overhang is typical on a 5th wheel? i.e. for a TT, a '27' or '28' model ends up being more like 30-32' long bumper to bumper, plus the length of the TV.

Given that the 5th wheel connects (roughly) over the rear axle, is there a ball-park number for how much of say a 30' 5th wheel actually extends behind the rear bumper of the TV? 27'? 26?

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
Try this report,and see if it helps. This may not be gospel, but it will give you some idea I suggest you get it straight from the horse's mouth. I would call the ones you plan to visit to be sure. I think it is good idea to get reservations if you are concerned about getting a large enough spot
https://camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks/
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I always try to check out the campsite map or google map view ahead of time to make sure it looks like I can get the camper in and the lengths look ok. Some sites you can even find people driving through on Youtube and scope out different ones.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
memilanuk,

Just for future reference unless you have a rack or something on the front of your F250 CCSB it is a little under 21'. I had a 2011 F350 CC LB and it fit into my 23' depth garage. Now there wasn't much room left in front or back. I now have a 2017 Ram Mega cab dually parked in the same garage and can walk around the back with the door closed.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
memilanuk wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I have trouble with my 28' 5th wheel. Not every campground has 40' long sites.

Kinda why I asked. We recently had an 'Aw, ****!' moment (more like hour and a half) at a state park in eastern Washington (Fort Spokane). We'd camped there before with our previous TT, a Salem 21RBS (~24 ft long end to end) and a GMC extended cab 1500. Many of the sites are pull-thru, just little loops off alternating sides of the main loops. This time... with a new bigger trailer (28RLS, about 31' long) and truck (F250 CCSB)... we got in fine, but it was tight. As in could barely get the awning and the slide out - actually ended up pulling the slide in a few inches just for insurance.

When we went to leave... found out that we couldn't go forward due to a tree in the way of where we needed to swing to miss other trees and/or adjacent camp sites, and now we couldn't go back either (tree). Got some help from other campers (both current truck drivers, plus their wives), did multiple attempts including unhooking and rehooking at different angles. Finally ended up having to unhook my rig, and bring one of their trucks, a smaller Tundra with a shorter wheel base, in thru the trees to back the trailer out. Not a fun time, and not anything we want to repeat... ever.

Went back and looked at the site description on their website, and it says '40 ft vehicle length', with 95 ft loop length. I had 'assumed' that meant like a 40 ft trailer, 40 ft. motorhome, etc. Nope... 40 ft *total*, and my truck is about 25 ft plus the 31 ft of the trailer 😞

Since then, and for other reasons, we're considering a short 5th wheel, in the 25-30 ft range. Still wouldn't quite fit in that site, due to the small trees in close to the paved loop, but there are a lot of others where we 'should' fit just fine.

This is my fear as well lol.

My wife and I will take a Campground map at our favorite campgrounds and check ones we like and can fit into. We found there are a lot of sites that are labeled as big enough but may be difficult to get into as well as labeled as too short but plenty of room.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I have trouble with my 28' 5th wheel. Not every campground has 40' long sites.

Kinda why I asked. We recently had an 'Aw, ****!' moment (more like hour and a half) at a state park in eastern Washington (Fort Spokane). We'd camped there before with our previous TT, a Salem 21RBS (~24 ft long end to end) and a GMC extended cab 1500. Many of the sites are pull-thru, just little loops off alternating sides of the main loops. This time... with a new bigger trailer (28RLS, about 31' long) and truck (F250 CCSB)... we got in fine, but it was tight. As in could barely get the awning and the slide out - actually ended up pulling the slide in a few inches just for insurance.

When we went to leave... found out that we couldn't go forward due to a tree in the way of where we needed to swing to miss other trees and/or adjacent camp sites, and now we couldn't go back either (tree). Got some help from other campers (both current truck drivers, plus their wives), did multiple attempts including unhooking and rehooking at different angles. Finally ended up having to unhook my rig, and bring one of their trucks, a smaller Tundra with a shorter wheel base, in thru the trees to back the trailer out. Not a fun time, and not anything we want to repeat... ever.

Went back and looked at the site description on their website, and it says '40 ft vehicle length', with 95 ft loop length. I had 'assumed' that meant like a 40 ft trailer, 40 ft. motorhome, etc. Nope... 40 ft *total*, and my truck is about 25 ft plus the 31 ft of the trailer 😞

Since then, and for other reasons, we're considering a short 5th wheel, in the 25-30 ft range. Still wouldn't quite fit in that site, due to the small trees in close to the paved loop, but there are a lot of others where we 'should' fit just fine.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have trouble with my 28' 5th wheel. Not every campground has 40' long sites. One particular state park in Oregon (South Beach) has many sites on the interior that are impossible for me to park in because they're too short. That means I have to look for longer sites at that CG. That situation comes up many times when looking at CG's to stay at. RV parks are almost never an issue. Just because someone in some other state says they have no issues just means that they've not been to another state that has CG's with shorter sites.
One size does NOT fit all.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
memilanuk wrote:
Any thoughts/experience on how the length of 5th wheel trailers relates to the length of bumper-pull travel trailers when it comes to navigating tighter sites?

Well a fifth wheel you can jackknife if you need to. My 24 foot toy hauler got into the same spots my 33 foot fifth wheel will. Keep one thing in mind, my fifth wheel is 9 feet longer, but the total length of my setup is very close to the same. When I first bought my fifth wheel, it took a little longer for me to back in because the "balance point" where it starts to jackknife is a lot early in the process. Now the I have that down, it backs in just as easy. But there are differences, there are 2 sites I've been in with my 24 foot I don't think I'd get my fifth wheel in. I've was because it went up a hill on a very short site and my fifth wheel would have been in the road. The other was between 2 trees that were 9 feet apart and no room in front to straighten out. I could see easily on my bumper pull. My fifth wheel I'd need a very good spotter.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts/experience on how the length of 5th wheel trailers relates to the length of bumper-pull travel trailers when it comes to navigating tighter sites?