cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch and Bars Storage While Camping?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 14K Equalizer Hitch with the square bars. In the past I have left it attached to truck hitch with a hitch pin lock Now that my new to me truck sits higher, the tailgate, when lowered, hits hitch ball when hitch is installed.

I would like to know of a simple, effective, safe, AND secure way of storing my hitch while camped.

I know there are products that require drilling into trailer frame to create a storage pod , but I'm not yet sure I want to drill into my frame for this mod

What do all of you do?

I'd love to see pics of your set up showing how you accomplished the above requests. Whether it be homemade, purchased, etc....let's see what ya got!

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
26 REPLIES 26

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitch stays on the truck (only take it off for salt season when not traveling to Florida), bars go into the pass through. The trailer is insured for full replacement value so no ball lock or other annoying nonsense needed. As far as grease, I use Vaseline, won't stain clothes or most other things.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
By the time I remove the BBQ, patio mat, and all the other stuff from the pass through to set up camp, there is plenty of room for my hitch and bars. I am not worried about theft as much as just getting them out of the weather.

I kept ending up with grease on all the other things I keep in that compartment.

So, I built a small wooden box with an open end that I can stick the bars in, so they don't get grease on anything. I only wish I would have done this sooner.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
By the time I remove the BBQ, patio mat, and all the other stuff from the pass through to set up camp, there is plenty of room for my hitch and bars. I am not worried about theft as much as just getting them out of the weather.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestions!

Since I already have a Genny rack at A frame and plan on 2 6V batts, there isn't much room for hitch holder mounted in the A frame area.

So, while camped, it will have to go in front storage compartment or in back of truck bed under my topper.

Most simple, practical, and secure would be in front storage compartment.

Otherwise I would need to make a box of some sort to house and secure the hitch and bars in my truck bed....strong enough box to handle driving around towns, quick sharp turns, bumpy gravel roads, and the unexpected.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I found an EZ Store hitch mount,

EZStore

My Blue Ox fits perfect in it, gets locked with the hitch pin, and the bars get locked by their chains to the carriage, and the carriage gets locked to the frame with a thick security cable.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Mine go on the ground.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Bars go in the TT lockable storage bin. The hitch goes in the truck bed or stays attached, depending on how lazy I am.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
Wow, I must be playing russian roulette, or I just tend to stay in friendlier campsites.

When camping, the bars get rested across the top of the A-frame, hitch stays in the truck reciever. I do throw the L pins in the pass thru, mostly so my kids wouldn't pick them up and misplace them. When at home, hitch is stored in the pass thru, bars are stored in my shed.

I only paid 200 for my 12K Equal-I-zer used, so maybe that's why I play fast and loose?

I must stay at the same places you do. :B

I throw mine across the A frame and call it good. Saw my dad do it for over 40+ years and I've done it for over 35+ now. Never a problem. But that won't help the OP because mine are not secured.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I must be playing russian roulette, or I just tend to stay in friendlier campsites.

When camping, the bars get rested across the top of the A-frame, hitch stays in the truck reciever. I do throw the L pins in the pass thru, mostly so my kids wouldn't pick them up and misplace them. When at home, hitch is stored in the pass thru, bars are stored in my shed.

I only paid 200 for my 12K Equal-I-zer used, so maybe that's why I play fast and loose?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Equalizer gets locked back into the trailer hitch. The bars rest back in the truck bed on a rag.
Like the OP, our ORV sits high enough that the tailgate rests on the hitch and I had to make a padded board to separate the two.
I do like the idea of placing the hitch on a board arrangement and locking it with the safety chains (getting older or hitches are getting heavier).

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my setup goes in the back of the truck under the locked aluminum tonneau
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I never keep the WD parts on the TV. I formed some habits when my children were toddlers with grease getting everywhere as well as I keep bruising my legs. I store both the WD bars and receiver inside the TT when not towing. When I leave it at storage facility, I just put both inside the main living space door. When the TT is at home in driveway short term, I put all 3 parts in garage. When set up at camp, they go in an outside storage when other items come out.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The reason my hitch ball hits my tailgate (when lowered) is a combination of truck height and coupler height.

My new to me TT is an ORV which has the coupler welded to top of A frame. This is already a high sitting TT PLUS the coupler welded o top makes for a tall ball height. My new to me truck is an older 4X2 and is not high enough to clear tailgate when all is attached.

On newer trucks that have 18"-20" wheels and/or with 4X4, the tailgate clears. Trucks with larger diameter wheels have a taller stance requiring shorter shanks; hence tailgate clears when lowered. I know this as previous owner of TT had a new GMC 1500 4X4 and it cleared with a shorter shank.

NOTE: I have about 1300# TW
Equal-i-zer 10K

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch cost more than my Ovation guitar. It gets stored in the left side pass through storage with a rag covering it when not in use. If I see rust, it gets a touch up with black RustOleum. It gets lubed with marine grease.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'