cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windless entry door

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that most current trailers have what they call wind resistant doors and no door hold open latches. Mine works great if there is actually no wind. Another $3 part that I'm curious why it just isn't standard?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
14 REPLIES 14

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time my friction door works good but I live on the Ocean and it gets really windy sometimes and it closes shut so I just bought a T latch on Amazon for a few bucks and installed it in 15 minutes and good to go
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Magnets hold my cargo doors open on my Grand Design 303RLS - the entry door is also the friction door - just the way it's built, as it does not have an add on device. Keeps my son from slamming the door.

I have the magnets that hold the cargo doors open also but my later year 2018 303RLS has the hold open door latch stock. What year is your 303RLS?
It also is a 2018. Yes, it has the latch that holds the door open, but the discussion was about the friction hinges on the door that keep it from slamming shut in a high wind - notice how your door takes a little more effort to move?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck camper that we are selling has friction hinges on the walk through door.

The new-to-us 5th wheel does not have this feature- I really miss it. Now we have the silly T latch that has been on commercial trucks for decades.

Never had a problem with the friction hinges keeping the door fully open.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Magnets hold my cargo doors open on my Grand Design 303RLS - the entry door is also the friction door - just the way it's built, as it does not have an add on device. Keeps my son from slamming the door.

I have the magnets that hold the cargo doors open also but my later year 2018 303RLS has the hold open door latch stock. What year is your 303RLS?
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

Another $3 part that I'm curious why it just isn't standard?

Curiosity resolved: Bean Counters...:S

Solution: Spend the $3...:W

~

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I will be adding a hold open latch. Donโ€™t know if there is something special I need to know about attaching either side to door or exterior wall.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has the friction door also but we also have the holder on the side to make sure it stays open. With a real stiff wind ours well want to starting closing so I latch it open.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

brokenoaks
Explorer
Explorer
door works great hold open works great and we have lots of wind at home and no problem with the standard friction device that came on it keeping it open

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Where I camp the afternoon gets gusty winds like clockwork. Door doesnโ€™t stay open.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our toyhauler has no latches and they doors stay open fine. They have hydraulic cylinders that hold the door open.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
brokenoaks wrote:
my Jayco came standard with it. works great

The door or the hold open?

brokenoaks
Explorer
Explorer
my Jayco came standard with it. works great

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I've noticed that most current trailers have what they call wind resistant doors and no door hold open latches. Mine works great if there is actually no wind. Another $3 part that I'm curious why it just isn't standard?

Really? It's not standard?

I call it a simple ingenious device in mine.