cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tow Vehicle Advice Needed

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to RVing and I'm looking for our first travel Trailer. After looking at quite a few travel trailers I've come to the conclusion that I may need to upgrade my Pick-up Truck (2006 Tundra with 57K miles on it) because it can only pull 7000 lbs (minus tongue wt) and most of the trailers we like are either out us right at that 7000 lb limit or just over. So I'm now looking for a new tow vehicle. The new GM, Ram, Ford half ton trucks (properly equipped) all claim to be able to pull over 10,000 lbs and the 3/4 ton (250 or 2500) almost all can tow more, but are A LOT more pricey.

We "think" that we'll be buying a trailer that will put in the 7000 to 8000 lbs range, well within the capability of a 1/2 ton truck.

Should I go with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck? If so is it worth the extra cost?

Should I consider a diesel or stick with a gas engine?

Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
normal_dave wrote:
You mentioned sticker shock... (Me too).

Don't overlook a properly equipped Ram 2500 Crew Tradesman with the 6.4L Hemi. (This example advertised at ~ $ 37K at Warwick).
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4

Edit: here's a better example at Branhaven in CT. ~ $ 38K. (trailer tow mirrors, brake controller, snow chief gives you anti-spin rear diff and clearance lights plus HD alternator).
2018 2500 Tradesman Crew 6.4L Hemi

A Tradesman with Chrome appearance group, and Popular equipment group is quite the value. 410 HP, 429 ft/lbs of torque on the 6.4L Hemi. Now I'd like the diesel as much as anybody, but I have to admit, the newer gas engines are making the decision on gas/diesel not quite as easy as it used to be.
2017 Ram 2500 6.4L Car and Driver review

Another "sleeper", if you can overcome payload limitations, is the F-150 with the 5.0L. 395 HP, 400 ft./lbs of torque. Imagine what we would have had to build "back in the day" to get that kind of power out of that small a displacement motor? It is really incredible.
2018 F-150 5.0L

An XLT with the 36 gallon fuel tank and 3.55 electronic locking differential for example, or maybe even an XL with the Chrome and STX appearance and power package might be worth a look too.

Keep in mind, both of these trucks will be revving in the hills, (they are of course made to handle it), but when proper rear gear ratio is chosen along with the new multi-speed transmissions, it's a world of difference in getting power to the ground, for your dollar, vs. even just 5-10 years ago.

Food for thought. Good Luck!

^ Very true. But it's hard to explain to some that you're getting ALOT more truck today than 10 years ago and just as much more than 20-40 years ago. 20years 70s and 80s was totally stagnant for advancement in pretty much anything automotive. Well not stagnant, really, but a huge step backwards and then a big hole to climb out of.
A 400hp gasser will pull pretty much any trailer under 10klbs sufficiently in most any conditions. Difference now compared to 20-40 years ago is that the options above and beyond a basic decently equipped truck with a 400hp V8 have skyrocketed. If you want $1000s in electronics, Napa Saddle leather seats and 1000ft lbs of towing muscle, you can buy it. Did you not expect it to cost alot more than the "basic" truck?
It's like saying a corvette is stupid because it costs 3x as much as mini van.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It's all about payload. Not towing capacity. And keep in mind when looking at trailers, that not only is the UVW a lie, but so is the brochure tongue weight. Figure 13-15% of the trailer's loaded weight will be on the tongue.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned sticker shock... (Me too).

Don't overlook a properly equipped Ram 2500 Crew Tradesman with the 6.4L Hemi. (This example advertised at ~ $ 37K at Warwick).
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4

Edit: here's a better example at Branhaven in CT. ~ $ 38K. (trailer tow mirrors, brake controller, snow chief gives you anti-spin rear diff and clearance lights plus HD alternator).
2018 2500 Tradesman Crew 6.4L Hemi

A Tradesman with Chrome appearance group, and Popular equipment group is quite the value. 410 HP, 429 ft/lbs of torque on the 6.4L Hemi. Now I'd like the diesel as much as anybody, but I have to admit, the newer gas engines are making the decision on gas/diesel not quite as easy as it used to be.
2017 Ram 2500 6.4L Car and Driver review

Another "sleeper", if you can overcome payload limitations, is the F-150 with the 5.0L. 395 HP, 400 ft./lbs of torque. Imagine what we would have had to build "back in the day" to get that kind of power out of that small a displacement motor? It is really incredible.
2018 F-150 5.0L

An XLT with the 36 gallon fuel tank and 3.55 electronic locking differential for example, or maybe even an XL with the Chrome and STX appearance and power package might be worth a look too.

Keep in mind, both of these trucks will be revving in the hills, (they are of course made to handle it), but when proper rear gear ratio is chosen along with the new multi-speed transmissions, it's a world of difference in getting power to the ground, for your dollar, vs. even just 5-10 years ago.

Food for thought. Good Luck!
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a 2000 mile round trip from Portland to Tofino, over to Squamish, and back. Got 12.8 mpg with the Duramax towing the 5500lb, 25' Passport, even in 95 degree heat with AC blasting doing 65-70mph. The last leg was today, a straight shot from Squamish to Portland with one stop for Diesel and a few for dog walking breaks. Great trip, I'm not even tired. The old Tahoe would have beat me up on that trip, and only have gotten 9.8 mpg. I'll take that slightly harsher unloaded ride for confident smooth towing without having to think about hills. Plus, the exhaust brake means down is just as easy as up. It was nice that Diesel is cheaper than Unleaded in BC, too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, beerbrewer, that makes a big difference. 4.7 isn't a towing hoss.
Any well equipped new or newish 1/2ton with the big V8, Eco boost or diesel will pull 7k around fine. A 3/4 ton will handle it more effortlessly and a 3/4 T diesel will be the coup de gras!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Ram's are the oldest design right now and might be a little cheaper than the others. When I got my truck Ford was priced very comparably but I think with the new models they've gone up some. GM seems to always be the highest, at least in my neck of the woods. If I were buying a diesel truck right now the two I'd look the hardest at would be the Cummins and Duramax. I still don't trust the injection pump on the Powerstroke, but otherwise they're really nice.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Speaking from painful (and expensive) experience, select your TV not with this RV in mind but the next. You really don’t want to find yourself replacing a perfectly good truck well before it’s time, simply because your taste in RVs outgrew it.
Larry

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, my Tundra in not the newer model. It only has a 4.7, 271 HP V8 engine in it. Its been a really really nice truck and it met my needs perfectly. It can handle 4x8 sheets or drywall and plywood flat on the bed and its been rock solid reliable. Aside from routine maintenace the only failure I've had in the 13 years is the left light bulb in bed light burned out and had to be replaced!

As for towing a trailer I have some experience, so I'm knowledgeable, but by no means an expert. I routinely pull my boat to and from the water (maybe 10 round trip) and I once pulled a very heavy trailer from Phoenix AZ to Eastern Long Island NY. I learned a lot about towing during my cross country. I was towing with a Durango with a V8 that had a rear end designed for towing. Unfortunately, I don't remember the trailer weight (we weighed it), but I was well within the capability of the Durango. We did fine on flat ground and gradual inclines, however going up some of those "hills" on the way to Flagstaff AZ were killer! The engine was screaming, my speed was dropping and my engine temp went way up. It was that experience I want to avoid. I had always thought I'd upgrade to a 2500 or 3500 if we got a TT, but I didn't count on the manufacturers increasing the towing capabilities as they have. So I asked you folks for your opinions on hr matter, because I knew I'd get honest no BS answers.

So, you folks have convinced me 100%, so I'm now looking for a diesel 3/4 or full ton tow vehicle and I'm slowly getting over the sticker shock!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, yourself and the group almost had you in a diesel Dooley now! I've heard at least 1 reccomendation in the "3500" category already....lol.
So the first responses were right, this gets asked every day and 2x on Sunday's.
Here's another response. If you were familiar with and/or good at towing, you wouldn't be asking a group of total strangers opinions. So with that in mind unless you're confident in your abilities, buy the biggest overkill truck you can afford for the camper. You will have the most factor of safety padded into the equation you possibly can. And it is also somehow more soothing to tow with a truck that is putting forth little effort.

That said, you don't "need" anything bigger than what you already have, which if it has the 5.7 and is pretty much still like new with those low of miles, it'll tow a 7000lb trailer all over the place, just not with the prowess of a shiny new HD Turbo Diesel.
So which is better prowess, or free? You can always buy prowess later if you don't like free.....

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
One ton SRW. Gives you tons of options for future purchases. Diesel if you want to tow the big boys 12k and up. No reason to go with a half ton if you plan to tow much at all. You don't need a one ton for what you are talking about,the one ton is just so you have the truck you need for your next rig. If you are like most of us there will be the next rig. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Welp, OP, with 60+years of experience owning pickups, towing trailers, hauling firewood and hay, moving out to the West coast and back, and moving around Montana, all I can recommend is go ahead and get the 3/4 ton with diesel engine NOW!
Chances are you WILL get a bigger trailer (IF you stay with TTs, that is.) and you will eventually need that bigger truck. I made the mistake of getting rid of my 1 ton and replacing it with a 1/2 ton a few years ago. It was a nice truck, but it just didn't have the towing capability I wanted. Now, I am back to aq 3/4 ton diesel. Yeah, it rides like a truck! That just proves to me that it IS a truck.
Just to throw crud in the game, once you have decided on the size of truck, then the question becomes "4X2 or 4X4". Well, I got by just fine towing a 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel all around the West with a 1 ton 4X2 with limited slip differential. I even drove that truck on skid trails in the mountains. Never got stuck. Now, however, I have a 4X4. The reason why is quite simple: 4X2 trucks are extremely difficult to find around here.
Ultimately all these decisions have to be based purely on personal preference, just like the make of truck. Personally, I prefer Dodge trucks (no, not Ram trucks, they are too new and expensive).
Good luck in your search.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Explorer II
Explorer II
BeerBrewer wrote:
The Travel Trailers we liked ranged in length between 26' and 30'.

As for where we'd travel, its basically anywhere between to two coasts....anywhere! There are so many places in this country that we'd like to see that the list is endless.

I'm going to take closer look at the 250 and 2500 Diesels.
I have been towing everything from utility, stock, tractor hauler, popups, travel trailers, fifth wheels, etc. of various size and weights for over 30 yrs now. I did it all with a Ford F100 or F150. Most of our vehicles have been Fords for many years. We are a Ford family. My next tow vehicle WILL BE a Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison combo. They are worth a look.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

blt2ski
Payload needs first. Then choose drive train to what will work best for you.
If you will be above 5000' elevation ALOT, then frankly, look for a forced induction motor, be it gas or diesel. The turbo gets you to around 10,000 feet elevation or there about with out losing HP. Where as a non turbo, you're losing 2-3% per 1000' above sea level you are.
For what it is worth, a 1500 could tow what you are looking at. If you are were like me, have a family of 6, with 4 adult sized teens, 1300 lbs of people weight, throw in son other fun stuff, you would need at minimum, a SW 35 series truck to tow a 7000 lb trailer, and stay within payload of the truck.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
For that type of towing travel, both distances and getting yourselves out in the western mountains, I think that's a good choice. It isn't necessarily required for that type of trailer but it would sure be a lot more pleasant and the truck should hold up with less wear and tear to show for it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB