cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your Opinion -- Washer/Dryer?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Soliciting opinions about whether or not it's worth having a combo clothes washer/dryer in an RV.

Or is it more valuable to you to have that little bit more storage space?
63 REPLIES 63

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We vote for the stacked washer and dryer. We had it in the first coach ('08 Dynasty) and now in the current coach.

We learned early on that using the campground Laundromat was iffy. While traveling in the Dynasty when it was new, we stopped at a RV Park and thought we would use the campground laundry to wash our new towels thinking a bigger washer would be better.

Someone apparently, on purpose or not, left clorox in the washer. Our brand new dark tan towels were spotted. They are nice towels so I still use them at home. ๐Ÿ˜„

We find it so convenient to wash clothes every couple of days as needed. We don't have to take as many clothes and the washer accommodates king sheets just fine. I'll throw in the fitted king sheet and two pillow cases in the first load and then the top king sheet and the other two pillow cases in the second load.

We have found that private Laundromat's are usually in much better shape (overall). I'll take my tennis shoes and/or the floor mats that we use in the coach and at home to an industrial washer. I've had good luck in that regard but waiting for clothes to wash and dry is the boring part. In the coach, you can do many other things while the process is going. :R

If space and weight allow, go with the washer and dryer!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI The Splendide uses about seven gallons per load.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

DW loves it and has mastered it's operation.
I swear, she invents reasons to wash more clothes, when out on the road.
That's funny - that's what the wife says about me ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess just having them there makes it fun a little, or something like that. I just know that a dirty sock doesn't last long when I'm in charge of the laundry!

I just used our Splendide Ariston stackables to launder the king sheets, and another load for towels, all while in electric only site. With both using a extra rinse cycle we consumed about 1/3 fresh water and filled about 1/2 the one gray tank.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting the different extremes of opinions. We have never had a W/D. And I hate laundromats. But, we currently use them. I had never thought of a wash and fold. But, I will be using them from now on. We are shopping for our next DP. Probably a Newmar Ventana. It will have a W/D (separates). I cant possible see how or why you need that much extra storage. Cut down on the amount of **** so that you can keep the W/D. We will be able to do small loads if we want to. Or, use the wash and fold if it has been more than a couple of days.

Options. I like to have options.

Good luck.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Soliciting opinions about whether or not it's worth having a combo clothes washer/dryer in an RV.

Or is it more valuable to you to have that little bit more storage space?

DW loves it and has mastered it's operation.
I swear, she invents reasons to wash more clothes, when out on the road.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
We full time in a 34โ€ coach with no washer-dryer. When weโ€™re too lazy to use a laundromat or RV park machines we take it to a laundromat that will do the laundry for us. No sweat.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I can only tell you that I bought a used MH, had a combo washer/dryer and used it about 3 times when a very expensive part melted and so $800 for repair and $1400 to buy new. WILL not buy another Spendide combo washer dryer. I did notice it took a long time for the dryer to dry the clothes but others said theirs did too so I thought nothing about it. PIECE OF JUNK.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We lived fine without it for a lot of years and then we got stacked units. It was great. Now we donโ€™t know how we lived without it. We donotbfull-time but three to for winter months. A really nice option but still an option like so many nice things you can put in your RV.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Our motor home had a washer and dryer. When we decided to go back to a fiver that was the first thing we both put on the must have list. There are only two of us but as we travel whether for 7 days or a few months it is nice to come home with no laundry to do. Never have liked laundry rooms, never will.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
Never ever will have a W/D. If the RV came with it I would take it out. As a full timer storage space is more is more important. We do laundry every 2 weeks, why do a little at a time every day?Big pain in the bu..... Ten bucks and an hour and half were done! Just saying...

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Must have.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

mlwilliams808
Explorer
Explorer
We have a stacked whirlpoolwasher and dryer
And the wife loves not having to haul clothes back and forth to the laundry rooms. They really pay for themselves when we have the grandkids, they / we don't have to bring as many clothes.

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
One of the better investments. If you have room a stacked pair is better. But as long as you understand it, the Splendid combo does a great job.

Agree 100%. Latest rig came with our Spendide washer and dryer. Wife thought when we had our previous gas rig she could go without them. Never again. Heh..something we both agree on for a change. Lol.
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV with Cummins 425hp ISL (Louie) with 2005 Chevrolet Silverado (Roscoe) with Golf Cart in back (Forrest Gump).
Wife, I and our two dogs are Full-Timers

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkyBob wrote:

I have the Splendide Ariston model stacked washer/dryer and my dryer is 120 VAC. I do a good size load of clothes in my washer as I snowbird 7 months a year. I can dry that same load in 50 minutes in the dryer. I think the reason it dries so well is the awesome 1500 RPM spin speed the washer provides which is about double the spin speed of most residential washers. The clothes feel almost dry after the spin cycle is finished. I would never consider running my units when the coach is in motion.
I agree, that 1500 rpm spin really takes the time out of drying. I don't know numbers, but the Ariston dryer seems larger than the washer capacity, so I end up doubling up on the dryer sometimes (if the washer finishes before the dryer, I add it to the dryer).
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed