cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tie down extension help

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm running a 04 okanagan 811 meant for lb/sb in my lb dually. The issue we had last year was the rear tiedown point would hit my fender if we stuck it there, so to make our vacation we just tied it to the bumper on the tc. Now that I got time I want to do it right and extend my mounting holes. I see torklift makes a part, A7004, but that's alot of money when I can just build the same thing with some flat bar and weld some eyelets on.

Now for my question ha, what thickness do you think the flat bar should be?
11 REPLIES 11

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I find that video kind of goofy. You stick the O ring on so it's all kind of relevant to were the ring started lol.

And yeah looking out my side window. Just makes me a little nervous seeing that thing bouncing. I had a old bigfoot I got from a friend and when I got back from my long trip the wood was bulging where the cabover was,the **** thing was rotten and almost broke off on my trip lol

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
sasq40 wrote:
Well got my mount made. I'd say just a strong as torklift. Now how tight should I have the SpringLoad XL, the instructions were very vague ha. Was Hoping with the having it the mounting points corrected and the SpringLoad my cab over movement would be gone but still looks likes it moving a bit

What make of truck are you using to haul your camper with?

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fua-ahSfZoE&list=PL_wcZSOQzHwQ3eVvVr9CJW-AmogB2yeLy
first 25 seconds shows tightening- o-ring about 1/4" gap after snugging.
Its not much, about 250 to 300#.
As far as cabover, do you mean looking thru windshield?- it will dance around some. Just frame flex and bed twist, bed and cab move independently.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
Well got my mount made. I'd say just a strong as torklift. Now how tight should I have the SpringLoad XL, the instructions were very vague ha. Was Hoping with the having it the mounting points corrected and the SpringLoad my cab over movement would be gone but still looks likes it moving a bit

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
its been a while so ill have to check if wood would work. I also can't open my rear doors with the jacks swung in with the extensions on it haha. I wish i would have had this truck before buying the camper so i could have got a bigger camper ha! Be nice to trade someone but i don't see anyone wanting to downsize a tc!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Must be the issue on short campers as both of my 12-footers clear ties behind dually fender just fine.
I manufactured my rear tie-downs just like Flip.
I already had 1" square tubing, some old hitch extensions to make reducing sleeves and spend $5 for 3" washers to do the job.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
My rear tie downs are close on my dually but putting an extra board in the front of my bed moves the camper back just enough to clear. I do have pipe insulation on my tie downs just in case something moves. It also gives me a little space to store some stuff in the bed in front of the camper.

sasq40
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I didn't even see they had dimensions in the intrustions,guess that what I get for asking a question after pulling a 14 hr shift lol. guess 1/4 angle or steel tubing would do the job.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be using schedule 40 square steel tubing myself.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift told me I could drill a new hole in the tiedown an inch further in.
Bigfoot told me it was ok to use 1/2 inch eyebolts to extend the connection point out.
I did both.
I haven't tried it yet though.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Umm a little more than flat bar
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11dn-a7004 instruction shows parts break down.
I would assume angle used and depending on leg length for thickness to resist few hundred pounds of pull on extended/cantilevered end

Seen where some folks have used unistrut...
3" x 1/4" Aluminum angle?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com