cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLD DEF??

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
Recently, going from a 5th wheel to a used DP I have a question about the age and effectiveness of DEF that is in the tank of a little used motorhome over the past year. As a driver of a Diesel pickup, of course I add fresh DEF on a regular basis. The question I have for the DP owner is; What has been your experience with the DEF when your unit has been in storage for lengthy peroids, especially during warmer months when we know heat effects the DEF?
4 REPLIES 4

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a DEF refractometer on Amazon for less than $20 and you will know if it’s good or not.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I've never understood why Urea and deiuonized water has a shelf life. Nothing there to degrade.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins Filtration has published a very good article on DEF. They state that the shelf life of DEF when stored at the temperature specifications published, shelf life of DEF will be two years. The statement from Cummins is as follows:

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time
depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec
22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored
between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed
approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.

A link to the entire article is here: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/MB10033.pdf
2012 American Coach Revolution

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suck it out and put in new when you get ready to drive it. It has a shelf life of 18 months, so you sort of need the jug it came in to know for sure.