Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ford F-250 Lariat

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone
I’m in the process of buying/ordering a new F250 Turbo Diesel Lariat Crew Cab. It will primarily be used for towing our 30 ft., 8K lbs 5th whl. The 8K figure is scale weight as it rolls down the road with a 10K gross, 1900 lb pin wt. Occasionally I have to do this alone which I find challenging, particularly the backing up. I am seeking the best possible combination of features to tow with. I am trying to contain costs (what a joke at Ford) as the base price explodes as you add towing features. My current ideas include:

Tow Technology Bundle
Blind Spot Information System
Adaptive Steering
Adaptive Cruise Control
5th Wheel Package
Rear CHMSL Camera
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
Customer Placed Camera System
Lariat Ultimate Package
Spray in bed Liner (order or Aftermarket?)
Power running Boards (my wife is short)

Chrome package???
Suggestions and Comments are Welcomed
Regards and Thanks
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."
34 REPLIES 34

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Great trucks...and great tech. Its all good until the B to B warranty expires and something tosses a nut, then bend over and grab em.......most of the tech is not covered beyond the B to B but you really have no choice in the matter other than to dump it at warranty expiration.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 350 Lariat 6.7 crew with longbed last month. 61.5K was hard to pass up, a hell of a deal really as it stickered for over 70K. **** thing was black which killed the deal and could not order for the same knock off.

My bumper to bumper warranty expired some time ago and my 5yr/100k drivetrain warranty expired as well since my truck has 150k miles. My Lariat had a few EGT sensors go bad after warranty (in which Ford just recently reimbursed me since they extended the warranty on them) and I just replaced a front wheel bearing a week ago, but owning this truck after warranty is no big deal.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillandCarole wrote:
We have arrived at a final order and are placing the order.
We stopped agonizing and Ordered an F350 Lariat Diesel with the 6.75 bed.
We put in the Towing Tech Bundle,
Bliss (Blind Spot Information)
the 5th Whl Package
Rear CHMSL Camera
Trailer Camera

It's about as close to an Autonomous Vehicle as you can get currently.

Thanks for Everyone's inputs and expertise. The comments did influence our decisions, particularly in the F250 vs F350 area. Now all we have to do is wait 10 to 12 weeks. ugh...
Regards
Bill

Great. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Awesome truck

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
We have arrived at a final order and are placing the order.
We stopped agonizing and Ordered an F350 Lariat Diesel with the 6.75 bed.
We put in the Towing Tech Bundle,
Bliss (Blind Spot Information)
the 5th Whl Package
Rear CHMSL Camera
Trailer Camera

It's about as close to an Autonomous Vehicle as you can get currently.

Thanks for Everyone's inputs and expertise. The comments did influence our decisions, particularly in the F250 vs F350 area. Now all we have to do is wait 10 to 12 weeks. ugh...
Regards
Bill
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great trucks...and great tech. Its all good until the B to B warranty expires and something tosses a nut, then bend over and grab em.......most of the tech is not covered beyond the B to B but you really have no choice in the matter other than to dump it at warranty expiration.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 350 Lariat 6.7 crew with longbed last month. 61.5K was hard to pass up, a hell of a deal really as it stickered for over 70K. **** thing was black which killed the deal and could not order for the same knock off.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
BillandCarole wrote:
Hi Everyone
I’m in the process of buying/ordering a new F250 Turbo Diesel Lariat Crew Cab. It will primarily be used for towing our 30 ft., 8K lbs 5th whl. The 8K figure is scale weight as it rolls down the road with a 10K gross, 1900 lb pin wt. Occasionally I have to do this alone which I find challenging, particularly the backing up. I am seeking the best possible combination of features to tow with. I am trying to contain costs (what a joke at Ford) as the base price explodes as you add towing features. My current ideas include:

Tow Technology Bundle
Blind Spot Information System
Adaptive Steering
Adaptive Cruise Control
5th Wheel Package
Rear CHMSL Camera
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
Customer Placed Camera System
Lariat Ultimate Package
Spray in bed Liner (order or Aftermarket?)
Power running Boards (my wife is short)

Chrome package???
Suggestions and Comments are Welcomed
Regards and Thanks
Bill

I got the chrome package because it includes the regular side steps, and I don't like painted mirrors (bugs kill the paint too quickly). Personally I didn't want powered steps, just didn't see the point, and don't want the unnecessary motors/weight. I decided not to do the factory bed liner because it will delay the delivery a bit (accessories are done on the factory site, but in a separate building.)
I also got the Bind spot system, adaptive cruise, Ultimate trailer tow system, Ultimate Lariat pkg., customer placed camera, which I haven't installed yet. All of these I recommend, they work as advertised. We also opted for the FX4.
Your other options didn't apply to my situation, as we are bumper pull, so had no need for the 5th wheel prep.

We got the F250 with the Gas motor to save 9 grand, so our payload is noticeably higher than Diesel 250's. I may eventually want to load a golf cart in the bed while towing.
Other options I got which won't apply to you are the dual battery set up and 4.30 gearing.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Get the hitch prep package from Ford. Then select whichever hitch you prefer, plenty to choose from. The Ford OEM hitch I believe is a Reese. OR you could consider what I'm thinking of and get the Reese Goosebox and just use the gooseball and not a 5th hitch. The Goosebox is NOT an adapter, is made by Lippert Competents Inc and is said by the manufacturer to be OK with the trailer frames (they make both for the most part).

Only you can decide on how many creature comforts you want. Myself, I have a XLT. Remote start, backup camera options. It also came off the lot with the chrome package and a couple other things I wouldn't have ordered but what can I say, we needed a new truck faster than ordering allowed. The money saved got me a nice aftermarket sound system. Installed a inverter for the kids and some driving lights. Cloth seats, which I have grown to like better than the leather in my old Lariat truck.

Would I get lane keep, adaptive CC, 360 cameras, etc. Likely not. But then I miss the manual transmissions too.

Happy Trails!
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillandCarole wrote:
Adam R wrote:
I've been specing out a Ford and I'd skip the BLIS, Customer placed camera and Ford's own bedliner. I'd skip the chrome package too. All the other options I like.

Get an aftermarket bed liner. It will be thicker and adhere better than Fords.

I deleted (hopefully) the bed liner from the order. Same for the chrome package. (too much bling, not enough function) Still on the fence about the 5th whl. prep package. Does anyone have any particle experience with doing it aftermarket? The wiring in particular is a concern.
Decided against the F350 suggestion. The bed is even higher. I am worried about the bed rails clearance with the underside of the 5ver. Our last rig had to have the axles flipped to ride right. In No hurry to do this. No room for larger tires.
Regards and Thanks
Bill

Get the puck option. Bargain and hitch mounts to frame rails. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
If you are going with an F250, at the very least get the camper package with a better suspension and stabilizer bar . The base F250 springs sag a lot when loaded.

If necessary I will go with the 4 inch blocks on the rear springs to avoid too much sag. However I now most concerned with matching the trailer and truck bed heights. Need to make some measurements...

You don't really need a 1 ton to tow a fifth wheel, but if you do go to an F350, check the GAWR because some have the same ratings as the F250 as I ponted out here.....(LINK)
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
How many semesters is the Ford's new owners course?

I would guess about 2. I now feel qualified to sell the dammed things. More wrinkles to it than a sun dried raisin.
Bill
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Adam R wrote:
I've been specing out a Ford and I'd skip the BLIS, Customer placed camera and Ford's own bedliner. I'd skip the chrome package too. All the other options I like.

Get an aftermarket bed liner. It will be thicker and adhere better than Fords.

I deleted (hopefully) the bed liner from the order. Same for the chrome package. (too much bling, not enough function) Still on the fence about the 5th whl. prep package. Does anyone have any particle experience with doing it aftermarket? The wiring in particular is a concern.
Decided against the F350 suggestion. The bed is even higher. I am worried about the bed rails clearance with the underside of the 5ver. Our last rig had to have the axles flipped to ride right. In No hurry to do this. No room for larger tires.
Regards and Thanks
Bill
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
In my state F350 needs commercial plates and yearly registration and insurance are very high compared to a F250 . the small difference makes a huge yearly cost difference .
So i will go f250 too . Just the registration yearly is 50 compared to 300 for the 350. Insurance on a commercial plated F350 is crazy high too compared to a similar f250
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many semesters is the Ford's new owners course?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Price out a 350 XLT, then add in what factory options you'd like. At same time, call your local aftermarket joints for pricing on same items. Yes easier to get it from factory, but can save coo-coo bucks if not for same thing. We did. Ditch the tube steps and power running boards and just go w/ full length diamond pate running boards. Much safer and more truck protection. I'm not personally a fan of a lot of today's new technology. Yes it may be great, but when a component goes down, big bucks to get fixed. Am content w/ just the factory blind spots on mirrors and tailgate b/u cam. Good 'nuff for me. I just went through all this 2 months ago, so am quite familiar w/ what your saying.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"