cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Durango 5.7l Hemi Magnum

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife picked up the vehicle listen in the title. I was curious and looked up Trailer Life's Towing Guide and it states that in the configuration we have it can tow 8650 lbs. Now.my question is, how realistic is this? I have my doubts.
7 REPLIES 7

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info. I think the most this will tow is May small 17 foot TT or a small utility trailer with a wheeler. I don't plan on towing my 23 foot TT, although it's Max weight is 6000. I still would not feel comfy towing it behind the Durango.

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2005 Durango with hemi. It was fine towing a 26ft TT that was under 6000lbs. We later upgraded to a bit longer and heavier trailer and towing was not as good. Sorry, we never weighed the combinations.

Didn't have problem keeping the speed up in the mountains. But to do that you have to rev high in 2nd gear.

Another thing to check is that most Durango's, even with the hemi, did not come equipped to allow the max towing number. I think there was some heavy duty towing package required and when we bought ours most dealers did not have a Durango with that package.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
That may be the max tow spec, but bet it doesn't have 1,000 lbs. payload for the tongue weight a trailer that heavy would put on the hitch.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO stay at 6000 or under.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Until the transmissions give out. Durango's are noted for tranny issues and I know 2 people who toasted theirs.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
8500 is alot for a short SUVee. But my old boss a while back had a Duran go Hemi same as yours and a 5.3 Avalanche and he pulled a 5000ish lb boat and said the Hemi whipped the 5.3 hands down in power and actually handled the boat as good or better than the Avy. So they're pretty decent tow rigs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
That number seems really optimistic! For a travel trailer I would think something in the 5-6,000 lb range