Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 8000 Quiet Diesel Problem

TSPatt
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, but not new to Rv life. I am having problems with my Onan 8000 generator. I will run for about 10 mins and shut-off. It will start right back of, but after a few seconds it shuts down again. This what I have done so for:
Changed temp sensor and thermostat.
Flushed system twice.
Put in fresh antifreeze.
Made sure no air bubbles was in system.
Buttoned generator back up.
My next task is remove the radiator and have it cleaned. Has anyone tackled the task of removing the radiator? It looks like 4 bolts holding the radiator in place + hoses. The bottom bolt on the driver side of radiator looks like it will be hard to get too.
Any ideas on removal will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
TSPatt
2003 Travel Sumpreme
Central Louisiana
TSPatt
2003 Travel Supreme
Central Louisiana
6 REPLIES 6

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
How long since fuel filter and air filter service. Sounds like fuel.

LEN

TSPatt
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Up,

Thank yo for your reply, Since I am not an expert at Onan generators, I could be wrong. I haven't had any issues with this generator since I purchased the motorhome. I will check it again this afternoon. Thanks again for your reply.
TSPatt
2003 Travel Supreme
Central Louisiana

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
TSPatt wrote:
Thanks Midnightsadie and Rick for your quick reply. The tank has between 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank. Rick,the light on the panel is blinking 1 short blink and that is a overheat temp error. The Onans can be a bit tricky to troubleshoot, but I would like to try to fix on my own before carrying to dealer. Their labor is ridiculous! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and let them fix it, but when you get that bill, it is sure depressing. thanks again.
TSPatt
2003 Travel Supreme

One short blink huh? Never seen that code before. Normally, in your era of gen, an "over heat" scenario is three blinks, pause, and three more, then long pause and, it starts over again. This is interesting.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

TSPatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Midnightsadie and Rick for your quick reply. The tank has between 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank. Rick,the light on the panel is blinking 1 short blink and that is a overheat temp error. The Onans can be a bit tricky to troubleshoot, but I would like to try to fix on my own before carrying to dealer. Their labor is ridiculous! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and let them fix it, but when you get that bill, it is sure depressing. thanks again.
TSPatt
2003 Travel Supreme
TSPatt
2003 Travel Supreme
Central Louisiana

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
TSPatt,

Welcome to the forums!

Do you have the manual for your generator? Is it flashing any particular code?

I don't have any experience with that particular generator, but I do know that some of the gas Onan's were very temperamental about their oil levels and even oil viscosities as things warmed up. Yes, I have one! LOL

Does your generator have an oil level sensor/switch? If so, make sure the oil is at the proper level.

On my Onan, it would often shut-down when running the multi-viscosity oil spec'd by Onan for hot weather. Only when I changed to a straight weight (30, I think) did the problem stop. But I still have to keep the level up or the sloshing while driving will often trigger a "low oil" condition and shut-down. Usually, it's only a problem in hot weather when the oil is thinnest.

Hopefully some others on here will have more specific information about your model.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your main fuel tank gets to a quarter of a tank? gen sets won,t run.