cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed StepAbove by MORryde

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer

I will see if the Photo Link displays my photos in the order that I dropped them.

#1. This shows our steps set up. These are the new model that they
have available. The legs come out of the bottom, which to DW and
I saw as a greater tripping hazard than the old model which you
can see on their website. The old model has the legs slide out of
the top and could easily make the assembly stick out an additional
8 inches or more.

#2. This shows the steps in the stowed position, ready for travel. I
have removed the old steps and in their space, I installed one of
their tool boxes.

#3. This a side view of the steps out ready for camping. The handrail
is mounted on the steps and swing in with the steps, provided if
you have nothing that would sit within 33 inches of the steps.

We have several older relatives that like to visit us when we camp so
we considered this mod. My knees were replaced in '13, so these work
for me also.

The only alteration made to our DENALI before installation was
removal of the sill plate inside the door and the seven screws to
mount the steps.
Don & Deb: US Army CW2(R), DECA AstMgr(R) USPS Letr Carrier(R)
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercrewcab 6.2Ltr V8 4X4
2017 Dutchman DENALI 289RK
Ford in dash MTD Prodigy Type Brake Control
Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Device
25 REPLIES 25

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing is supposed to be easy and relaxing. The Mor Ryde steps would not work for us. I had both knees replaced and the Wife had one replaced and we are old (I'm 78), but the OEM electronic steps pose no problem for us. The Mor Ryde steps would be OK for semi-permanent stays.
To each his own.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Other than spending much more money please tell me what is functionally better about the MORryde product compared to my steps?

When your rivits brake your steps will colapse with you on them. The OP should have gone with the 4 step model.

F-TROUP, if your assessment for need of a 4-step unit is based on the first page's photos, look closer at the photos I posted on 9/22/18. In 2000, the camper shelter was built for a '99 Explorer and a 21' Bantam Hybrid. It now houses a 34'8" DENALI and our 2016 F250 Super Duty 4X4. I had to remove part of the vehicle side floor so that the Cab lights of the 250 would clear. The pickup side is about 6 inches below that of the RV. The step feet are sitting on the incline between the two, so the legs stick out more than usual. The four step would have been way too big.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
F-TROUP wrote:

When your rivits brake your steps will colapse with you on them. The OP should have gone with the 4 step model.

That happened to me. The top rivet broke on one side as I was going down on the steps. We had the heavy duty steps like the ones pictured. However they were about 11 or 12 years old when it happened while were were snowbirding in Florida. I replaced my steps with the Glow Step Revolution from TorkLift. They are rock solid and work very well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

I will keep an eye on mine. โ€œIfโ€ I were to replace then it would be with what you have Barney.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
F-TROUP wrote:

That happened to me. The top rivet broke on one side as I was going down on the steps. We had the heavy duty steps like the ones pictured. However they were about 11 or 12 years old when it happened while were were snowbirding in Florida. I replaced my steps with the Glow Step Revolution from TorkLift. They are rock solid and work very well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Other than spending much more money please tell me what is functionally better about the MORryde product compared to my steps?

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Mailman-ret, thank you for sharing and I'm glad these step's work great for you and your wife. We have the same steps and love them. We never had an issue deploying the steps at a rest stop or gas stations. You are correct the MorRyde steps are easy on the knees. Be safe and thank you for the information.
G.H.

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at these photo's, during which time the steps are level, one can see that there isn't a tripping hazard as mentioned earlier. Remember, these are the new style. I have had these in locations where they were somewhat less level, but the exposure to the legs have not presented a hazard.

DW and I took a trip from central Missouri to upstate Pennsylvania, and returned last week through upstate Illinois. We made numerous stops in rest areas and parked among the Big Rigs. We never had a problem with the length of the steps and getting in and out between the rigs. We even observed two other TT's with same steps in two other states. Glad I saw them!

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer

On the first page, I displayed photos of the steps with their version of a handrail. I found it a might unsteady, so I went to the drawing board and designed my own. These are more solid, and take up an inch and a half less of the side access area. All that entered our camper liked that the distance between my version and the camper rail made them feel safer.

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Another thing I don't like about the MORryde steps is once you hit the ground you better keep stepping away from the steps or if turning you may trip on the extended legs.

The original style of the MORryde steps presents this hazard worse
than the new style. I had the opportunity to see both styles during
our trip in June, and I made sure the new ones were the ones we
ordered. Though my photo isn't too clear being blocked by my 4"X6", I
just checked and our's are stuck out 2" on the legs, and the feet
stick out 2" further. With my straight edge, I can see that the legs
would stick out 14" with the feet an additional 2" if they were the original design.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The moryde has a grab handle and yours doesn't. Having a grab handle can make all the difference to preventing a fall "

This is true but I still have the handle that's attached to the side of the RV. It would be very easy to clamp on another hand rail if needed on mine. Thankfully I don't need rails, YET!

Another thing I don't like about the MORryde steps is once you hit the ground you better keep stepping away from the steps or if turning you may trip on the extended legs.

There are different grades of steps as to how stable they are. Mine are the heavier duty ones and have very little movement compared to the others.

I can agree that there are different grades of steps. But those supported by the ground will ALWAYS be more stable than those that are not.
Another factor is simply the weight of he person using the steps.
If the steps are hanging and unsupported, the weight of the person walking the steps will have a big impact on the stability of the steps. A person that is 225# or greater will generate some wiggling and motion in the steps vs. a smaller person.
If the steps are supported by the ground there is no wighling or motion regardless of the weight of the user.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The moryde has a grab handle and yours doesn't. Having a grab handle can make all the difference to preventing a fall "

This is true but I still have the handle that's attached to the side of the RV. It would be very easy to clamp on another hand rail if needed on mine. Thankfully I don't need rails, YET!

There are different grades of steps as to how stable they are. Mine are the heavier duty ones and have very little movement compared to the others.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy, I hadn't even heard of the MORryde steps until a chance
encounter with a family in Columbus, Ohio that had a spring loaded
set on their 5er. While watching him with his, we decided, us too! I
am not aware of a spring loaded set for a non-5er. I would imagine
that a tag along with has a floorplan taller than ours may need a set
of springs.

The bottom step is a design I started using with our first TT in
2000. It doesn't stop everything, but you would be surprised with
what it does stop. (This step is fabricated from a 2X4, piece of
plywood, and a plastic grass mat stapled on top with a couple of
screen door handles.) The instructions with the steps mentions using
a small dust brush and pan on it before the swing in. Takes 30
seconds. For those hidden particles. I have w 24" X 39" Weather Tech
front door mat due in on Monday. $37.00 w/shipping $42.00. The dust
and grit will be picked up by vacuum and any moisture will be drug
outside and dumped when the steps come out next time. The mat has the
ridge all around the outside and will hold the moisture.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new 5er that has the new Moryde steps. You can let them down or pick them up with one finger. The spring loaded makes them very light.

2 things so far I do not like.

1. They do carry dirt inside. I did put carpet on steps to help with this and so our dog can go up and down easier.
2. If you have your steps out when using auto leveling system it can throw steps out of whack and make it hard to open or close the door. So you have to adjust legs after you level. Unless of course you auto level before hand.

We have only used the new 5er a couples of times. I suppose the more we use it the easier it will be to remember what has to be done.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, the device that you fasten to the floor is half of a hinge. You have 7 slots in this, and these screws have to be removed to take the steps out of the way. The other half of the hinge is welded to the top underside of the steps. The steps pivot on this hinge to deploy and return. My hinge is 27 inches long. TT floors don't have the best reputation for dependability, so if you buy the steps, I would recommend installing the seven screws and not removing/replacing them.