cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

C7 surge tank cap will not disengage

SunSeeker2
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling to our campsite the "low coolant" msg came on our 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH (caterpillar C7). Waited till next morning to check the cooling system level on the surge tank; and it needed to be topped up. Went to remove the filler cap; turned it counter clockwise, the cap loosened as advertised; but would not disengage and come off. Spoke with Freightliner tech rep through Tiffin customer service line and was told this can be an issue. Was told to find the " sweet spot" and wiggle it free. I've removed enough radiator caps to know that the sweet spot on this cap has no desire to release itself. Any thoughts or experiences out there for me my good people!
2006 Tiffin 35DH Phaeton (diesel pusher)
2 slides/Cat C-7(350hp)/air ride
2007 Saturn Vue/AWD/V6
5 REPLIES 5

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
Push down again VERY HARD and turn CCW !! It's a BEAR !
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
SunSeeker2 wrote:
IvyLog; After reading your advice about pushing down HARD; I realized I needed to get higher up than just standing at ground level. Got a small step ladder and "took the high ground" in order to push down on the cap. We have lift off! Thanks so much; its not about strength; its about leverage! Thanks to you all for your inputs; I've also have decided to replace this plastic surge tank with a metal one in the very near future.

Glad you got it off. But, getting a metal replacement tank for that particular design is all but impossible. Now, before someone gets their panties in a wad, I'm speaking of the rectangular tank that normally sits on the right side upper, just above the radiator. Most coaches have really tight clearance for those tanks. Obviously this is for rear radiator design. For this SPECIFIC design, I've seen only ONE metal tank replacement and, it was a prototype, not a production replacement tank.

Sunseeker, If your tank is not cracked, no spidering, no seeping, no obvious signs of potential failure, then don't replace it 'till you seem some of those signs. You're looking at about $130 - $140 replacement cost. I agree on preventative maintenance but, to toss a tank that's still got life in it, well, your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

SunSeeker2
Explorer
Explorer
IvyLog; After reading your advice about pushing down HARD; I realized I needed to get higher up than just standing at ground level. Got a small step ladder and "took the high ground" in order to push down on the cap. We have lift off! Thanks so much; its not about strength; its about leverage! Thanks to you all for your inputs; I've also have decided to replace this plastic surge tank with a metal one in the very near future.
2006 Tiffin 35DH Phaeton (diesel pusher)
2 slides/Cat C-7(350hp)/air ride
2007 Saturn Vue/AWD/V6

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Push down HARD on the cap as you turn because the second detent is not sloped...will not help pull the cap down.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a C7 too..

My only thought is to replace the tank as many say the tanks fail around the ten year mark.

Itโ€™s on my list for my next service whipping.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.