cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystones says a drop of 1 1/2" is normal in ceiling.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
According to Trailer Life, Keystone states that a 1 1/2" drop or dip in an RV roof the first year is within normal specs and not a warranty item.

Apparently the roof section around the air conditioner in a Montana is sagging down that amount!!!

I guess it makes it easier to clean the foam filter, I'm guessing in a few years it will be at eye level.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
17 REPLIES 17

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
RV manufactures have to claim structural defects/problems are normal, that saves them lots of time and money in warranty claims.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I know this NOT a building, but, from a structural engineering perspective, the UBC (Uniform Building Code) limits deflection in a beam/roof/floor to L/240.

L = span in inches

So if your RV roof spans 8 feet, (side to side) L = 8 x 12 = 96 inches

96/240 = .4 inches or about a half inch, which, FEELS about right.
1 1/2" seems a little high.

Industry standards ahhhhh hell, who needs 'em?

Second thought: If you could get the floor directly below to deflect the same amount, . . . . . problem solved! No deflection, that's called camber. Then drill 1" holes in the roof and your drainage problem is solved too! And you get a free rainwater catch system.

Chum lee

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
.....Keystone states that a 1 1/2" drop or dip in an RV roof the first year is within normal specs........

That's true if you store your golf cart on the roof.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion the customer is the best sales person and the sales person is a form secretary. I would not expect or accept any change in the ceiling/roof. Sounds like an issue!
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the Dealer who said the ladder to the roof was not actually intended to be used, after they backed our Fifth Wheel into a building bent it and tor e up a section of roof, and said I did it by climbing on it.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
riven1950 wrote:
your title says ceiling. your post says roof.

Which is it? Not that either one would be good but might make for different responses.

That makes more sense and is probably what's wrong. Easily fixable compared to a roof issue. Hopefully OP will come back and clarify.

The article states "roof", their exact words... "When they checked,they found a 1 1/2" sag in the roof surrounding the air conditioner".

To find a sag in the roof or ceiling is unacceptable either case.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
HHMMMMMM --- Sounds like my Keystone roofing system.
Our 2016 Cougar fifth wheel roof started just coming apart a few weeks ago. The plywood was actually loose from the front cap half way back the length of the trailer. The rubber membrane was billowing as we drove down the road.
We had trouble with this unit from the first day out. Keystone will not stand behind anything they build.
Wisely, the moderators here will not allow me to fully express myself about Keystone products. Suffice to say I do not own a Keystone any longer and will never say anything in support of their products.
See ya out there -----------

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:

Which is it? Not that either one would be good but might make for different responses.

That makes more sense and is probably what's wrong. Easily fixable compared to a roof issue. Hopefully OP will come back and clarify.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Should look something like this.....and ideally the entire roof is crowned.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds similar to what a car dealer told me a few years ago, that a car using a quart of oil per 1000mi was normal :h I call that an oil burner. I would guess they would say that 1 1/2" drop is normal to avoid having to fix it. Where is the point that they would say there is a problem??
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Is the roof sagging that much? The condensation won't drain, it will puddle.
I wouldn't accept that.
-- Chris Bryant

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like there has been water damage to the roof from leak around A/C and it's now rotting and sinking.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't sound good at all. I know I'd be very concerned. Can you access the ceiling cavity from inside by removing the AC trim or nearby lights, speakers, etc? You might be able to see what's going on or feel by hand. Maybe you could take it to a reputable independent RV repair shop and get an inspection & report and submit it to Keystone and the dealer.

Met a Keystone TT owner in a CG once. His TT roof leaked like a seive from new. Dealer couldn't fix it so it got sent to the factory who only made it worse. He ended up fixing it himself. I think there is a difference tho. between east and west coast unit quality.

*Maybe* you can discover the cause and fix it yourself which you might be able to do better than anyone else anyway.