cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel-Port aux Basques

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I am loading my rv on a ferry from Nova Scotia to Channel-Port aux Basques,Newfoundland, and am seeking advice on whether I might find it worth traveling east from that point toward Diamond Cove/Rose Blanche or just continue north on 408 toward Codroy Valley Provincial Park and beyond.. Any good accommodations for rving in these areas? Roads ok? My rv doesn't handle deep potholed roads well. Thanks for any helpful input.
12 REPLIES 12

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We did take the road to Rose Blanche and it was off season...so we were able to just overnight at the end of the road/tourist area with no one to bother us...arriving after the 11am departure ferry (5 or 6 pm arrival). We hiked/walked anything there was to walk.
Loved the stone Light house. Waterfall. Reading area history. We travel in a 25 foot class C.

Our FIRST trip to newfoundland was to be a once in a lifetime trip. Well we go back every 2 or 3 years to see more.

Our last visit was rather rainy so we left earlier than planned...only brought one pair of hiking shoes and five days of rain predicted.

So much to see and do (if you like hiking/exploring).

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Granted the current hurricane Chris/post tropical storm isn't going anywhere near Wreckhouse, but it is still useful to know where to check on hurricanes likely to visit Canada

Canadian Hurricane link: https://weather.gc.ca/hurricane/track_e.html

😉
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Any wind warnings for the Wreckhouse must be taken seriously.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Stop off in Rocky Harbour on your way north. Check to see if the show "Anchors Aweigh" is playing at the motel. It is live music - Newfoundland style and a heck of a lot of fun. We have been a few times - hope it is still running; we have not been back for a few years now.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Food? You jogged my memory again.

If you go to Gros Morne NP, try the Seaside Restaurant in Trout River.

The main roads were not a problem in NL when we were there, but some of the side roads were. From the ferry, we took the Trans Canada up to Gros Morne, then 430 up to St. Anthony (L'Anse aux Meadows and Pistolet Bay PP) without problems; it's the main route up there. But on the return we tried the side loop road 432 that splits off at the St Anthony airport; and that was very rough. Maybe better now though, it's been several years.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow you guys got me humming! Seems like I can't miss no matter which way I go. I'm gonna have a ball! By the way, we have a new not broken in yet PleasureWay XLMB on a Mercedes 3500 chassis and it does not seem to have a whole lot of ground clearance so I'm being cautious. Man! You guys definitely have my interest piqued! Looking forward to mingling with the wonderful Canadians and trying out the unique food.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
And Gros Morne ...
dam you've got me already planning our next trip out there.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
There's a new Viking Site near Port aux Basques. It was discovered via space view since I moved away from NL in 2008. But that's long enough ago to talk with the local information soles before going anywhere else.

I assume you will go up the Northern Peninsula to L'Anse aux Meadows and Norsted.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Both times we planned to go to Rose Blanche the weather did not cooperate and we decided it wasn't worth the trip in the fog and rain. It is still on our bucket list as we hear it is beautiful.

There is a provincial c.g. very close to the ferry dock. We have stayed there. We have also stayed at the provincial tourist info building which is about 10 km. down the main road. They open early in the a.m. and it is the perfect place to get travel info for the entire island. This works well if your ferry docks late at night.

Enjoy your trip - it is a wonderful experience.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at JT Cheeseman PP for a couple of nights before taking the ferry back to the mainland. Nice park. Definitely take a drive down to Rose Blanche. We liked it better than Peggy's Cove and it wasn't over run with tourists.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Grand Codroy and then took our car east on the road you are talking about. There is a very good restaurant down there and some beautiful scenery, and nothing else.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what size/type rig you have. The road east from the ferry landing has some pretty sites, but it is small, particularly at the eastern end. We went out there for a day trip as we were planning to depart from Newfoundland as a day trip from Grand Codroy CG.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's