cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we have been looking for a good under 30 ft motorhome.. just wife me and dog..didn’t want a toad so figured stay under 30
Haven’t been able to find a A or a C used that didn’t have issues... thinking of going new if we can around 60k or less
Now we are seeing lots of TT’s and thinking I alread have a F150 4x4 5 liter V8 truck...
What are the pros and cons of one over the other ???
Do TT’s have onboard generators ??? How would my truck pull a decent sized one ???
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
35 REPLIES 35

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I’m sure we will be sightseers for a few years, that and fall camping after the parks are closed, October,,the motorhome will probably be a better fit for us,,, if we can find one that isn’t best

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Eons ago (on this forum) someone posted these words of wisdom:

If you are sightseers and camp in a different spot each night, a motorhome is the easiest. If you are a "destination" camper - spending a few days or more in one location, then a trailer is the best setup.

For 10 years, we were sightseers and our 28' Class C was perfect. We could pull into a site in a downpour; and we never had to go outside. Just push the button, fire up the genny, and wait out the rain. Then for several years we tried snowbirding with a 28' 5er - you get SOOOO much more (usable) space in a trailer. Eventually, we tired of dragging around a trailer, so we bought a condo in FL, and now we're back to a small B-conversion for sightseeing and driving back and forth to the condo.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
I’ve towed boats and trailers before,, I’m sure I’d be fine...

It is not just about your ability towing. A boat and a camper are very different. Truck tow ratings are just a guide. Towing say 6k lbs on a open trailer is not the same as a 6k lbs tall enclosed box like a camper. That is one reason a lot a campers go unused. Dealers tell people your truck will tow this fine and it does going home but when they get loaded up to take a trip they find their truck cant handle it as easy as they thought.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Another factor to consider are vehicle license fees and property taxes.

Here in Utah, I'd have to pay property taxes on a MH, but the TT only requires the VLF.

The trailer in my signature has some very nice features, like full access to kitchen and bath with the slide in, and lots of kitchen counter space. I also like the rear bath with a window and there's tons of storage. The model number does lie about the size, it really is a 26' box. We average 50 nights a year in ours.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve towed boats and trailers before,, I’m sure I’d be fine...

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about having a vehicle you can tow with is as some one suggested you can go rent a couple different campers and try them out. This will help you decide what you may want and more important tell you how it is towing with your truck. If you don't have any experience with towing a trailer you may find your okay with it or it's not for you.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not in town now but I will... I know its a 2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4 Liarat with a factory tow package...
Locking rear diff auto 4x4 or manual.. not sure on anything else except it’s the 5.0 liter Coyote engine

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Many recommend Lance but they cost more.
But until you post more info about your truck, like payload capacity, it's hard to recommend something.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
So,,, whats a well made brand that my truck would pull? I’m thinking around 24 or 26 ft ??

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
One nice thing about a mh is drIving down the road you can be making dinner, wife could use the bathroom,, if it’s pouring rain you don’t have to go outside...pluses and minuses I guess

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on how tied to $60k you are. There are some non Thor units that can be had for a price in the high 60's new.
https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-coachmen-rv-pursuit-27-kb-828031-9

I've also seen some Jayco's in your range.
Or the BT Cruisers
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Gulfstream-5245B-B-TOURING-CRUISER-5002419335

Those 2 linstings were for new and in the upper 60's to 70.
Used ones are out there, but you may have to travel to get to them.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
SusanDallas wrote:
I would go with a travel trailer. The number one reason is because it doesn't have an engine. You can keep a travel trailer forever with a little general maintenance. An engine on a motorhome will eventually wear out as well as the transmission and other parts. It is cheaper to replace a tow vehicle than an RV and is something you would probably do over the years anyway.

Good point. And related to that, it is possible to buy a new tow vehicle with a used travel trailer so you have a reliable drive train and still save a lot of money on the living quarters. With a motorhome it is either all new (more expensive) or all used (more breakdowns).
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with a travel trailer. The number one reason is because it doesn't have an engine. You can keep a travel trailer forever with a little general maintenance. An engine on a motorhome will eventually wear out as well as the transmission and other parts. It is cheaper to replace a tow vehicle than an RV and is something you would probably do over the years anyway.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
My preference would be travel trailer with one of the major reasons being freedom of movement after you’re at a campsite. As for what you can tow I’d start with knowing the maximum we’re got numbers for your truck (max tow and max payload are usually the limiting factors) and let them guide you to the trailer that meets most of your needs. You’ll get differences of opinion about how close to the maximum you should get for towing comfort but as long as you’re not over any of the maximum numbers that’s also a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Good luck with the hunt.