Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: complete build, good setup? questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> complete build, good setup? questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hey I have done lots of reading and phone calls, and decided to go with viltron Lifepo4 batteries if I can get a bulk deal on them. also, if the 15% off coupon I have is still valid.

if not, I will be going with this build and would love your thoughts, since its my first real complete build from scratch.

I have 850w 12v solar on the roof of my rv, and mixed and matched stuff to get a good setup. battle born sells 'kits' that save a few bucks, and I was able to actually pick out a great one so long as I buy a few more batteries with it. the kit itself comes with 5x 100ah lithium drop in batteries with built in BMS, a victron 150/85 mppt charge controller, and a victron battery monitoring system.

this is the 'kit' ill grab, plus 3 more individual batteries totaling 800ah 12v
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2LCKHZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3HLFI5H11M6WP&psc=1

3 more of these for full bank
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX197GJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2VHGGOHXF24LJ&psc=1

this is the inverter, I looked at outback but my setup is tiny vs that, not worth it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6LROW4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AWPBFTW0ZXVPR&psc=1

magnum router control
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6XGU3C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A31H76PZNDKUUJ&psc=1

what do yo guys think, good setup? one thing I need to know is what to use for a 12v hub. obviously the inverter will power 120v appliances and everything, but I'm not sure what to get for 12v stuff. thank you all! heck of a summer. just installed my report halo long range wifi booster, two fantastic fan vent covers, and 300w more solar just yesterday [emoticon]

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“what do yo guys think, good setup?”

What is your average daily amp hour use?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magnum Energy MSH3012M is most probably cheaper at Imarine. Same with the ME-RTR.

If you are using Victron for part of the system you may wish to spend a little more and get a Victron Hybrid inverter/charger. You may find that by the time you buy a remote for the Magnum (which is required for the load support feature) that the cost is not very different.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Magnum Energy MSH3012M is most probably cheaper at Imarine. Same with the ME-RTR.

If you are using Victron for part of the system you may wish to spend a little more and get a Victron Hybrid inverter/charger. You may find that by the time you buy a remote for the Magnum (which is required for the load support feature) that the cost is not very different.

interesting. with this kind of investment, all things are worth looking at. thank you, ill be back later!

you've been wonderful piano, thank you.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yw

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope there is a decent battery monitor in the picture somewhere. Li battery is full not when it's full, but a little earlier.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Almot,

I believe he mentions a Victron monitor in another thread.

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

I hope there is a decent battery monitor in the picture somewhere. Li battery is full not when it's full, but a little earlier.

yes, each battery has built in BMS and Ill have a separate dedicated monitor.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BMS is only to prevent catastrophic failure when battery overheats or discharged way too low. It won't prevent it from charging 100%.

Monitor won't prevent this, either, but you'll be able to see and intervene.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the magnum inverter/ charger is programmable not sure of his solar controller but if it is overcharging should not be an issue. While actually using the camper(batteries) after fully charge, float and use solar during the day for loads and batteries through night or poor solar days. When storing the camper long term deplete batteries 50% +/-.

Properly set parameters he should be able to enjoy camping and not fret over batteries.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> complete build, good setup? questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS