cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas tank overflow

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped to fill MH tank with gas, only needed 1/2 tank. Noticed it was taking too long, then noticed gas dripping underneath MH near the tank.
Pump nozzle had not cutoff as normally happens. I discontinued pumping and verified tank was full according to the gauge. Being in a remote area, decided to ease down the road to a garage. During the short trip the leak stopped. Wasn't sure what to do but keep checking as I made my way home (short trip). This is a workhorse chassis.
Anyone have this happen to them or know what may have happened?

Doug
12 REPLIES 12

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gene, I just didn't remember.
Wildmanbaker

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildmanbaker wrote:
bennefim wrote:
Fixed, tested, no more leaking. On road now, working fine.

Doug

OK, in case I missed it, what was the cause of the leak? Loose hose clamps, leak in the hose, leak in the connection tubing, what? The answer may help others.

Look over the replies and you will see where he fixed all the loose items

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
bennefim wrote:

Doug

OK, in case I missed it, what was the cause of the leak? Loose hose clamps, leak in the hose, leak in the connection tubing, what? The answer may help others.
Wildmanbaker

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer

Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, first THERE IS NO OVERFLOW. NONE, does not exist.

What you have is a vent line.. But even that terminates inside the filler neck.

Options depend on exactly where the gas was dripping.. The filler tube goes into the tank via a sealing ring. it may be leaking.
You may have a hole in your filler tube (how to get gas out of a tank with a locking gas cap)

Gas may have run out the top when the pump failed to click off

IF IT happens next time you gas up....
Have a professional inspect it

IF it does not happen the next time you fill up.. THe problem is with the pump. (Station pump) not cutting off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
In the 18 years I've had my motorhome, I have replaced the hose the goes into the tank twice now. Never had to replace the upper hose.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, late getting update posted. Looking under the rv near the gas tank, this is what I saw. Fill pipe consist of two foot rubber hose, then 7 foot 1.5 inch metal pipe, then one foot rubber hose, then metal pipe, then short hose with 90 degree metal elbow then final hose to fuel tank. All the hoses were attached to the pipe with metal hose clamps. Almost all the hose clamps were loose and 6 were just dangling. The metal elbow was so loose it had separated. Bottom line, road vibration over last 10 years caused this. Easy fix but very dangerous. Suggest other rv owners make a quick check to avoid a catastrophe. Good luck!

Doug.

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know exactly where the leak is coming from yet. Could be at pump. Gas was dripping from the driver side of tank, about 12 inches or so from the tank. I am going to take a look under the rv today to see what is in that location. Will report back tonight. Again, this is a 2006 workhorse w22 chassis.

Thanks, Doug

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
There was a recall on mine apparently it was poor grade of hose. I really can't remember the particulars but I think there is a large rubber type plug on the passenger side of the tank and that is where it leaked. The tank has two filler ports one on each side. Anyway the factory install just starts deteriorating.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rubber hose between the filler port and the tank may leak, especially after 10 years or so of use. It may now only be a small crack in the rubber that leaked when you filled the tank and that it stopped after the fluid level dropped below the hose.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think it's the tank and not the pump?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
you Filled it up. The leak might be due to the connectors fill and vent not fully tight or it times to replace them due to age and they are leaking. I did not get 10 years on the Fill and vent line. The Fill line had cracks and I change out the vent line since it had to be take off to get to the Fill.