cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Mount Rushmore area with 2 dogs, doggy day care?

Not applicable
Hi

We are going to South Dakota near Mount Rushmore and surrounding area and we are planning to bring our furry kids. There will be a lot of places that don't allow dogs when touring them. We don't want to leave them in the TT at the site, we won't "fake service/support dogs" I've been reading in the forums.

Anyone use reputable doggy daycare places in the areas I mentioned? This would be days while touring not sleep overs. We've boarded our previous dogs years back only to have them going to vets for issues (not so much the boarding places but the nervousness of them being left behind a week or more).

I think only dogs owners understand what I'm saying about separation anxiety, plus we miss them too.

Very much appreciate your experiences with how you dealt with this issue. Any good places or Campgrounds that would offer doggy daycare?

Thanks in advance!
Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy
20 REPLIES 20

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Temperature Stick and have tested it with the MiFi Jetpack. So far, so good.

On our journeys we are usually gone for just a few hours. Next summer we are considering a more ambitious trip that will require us to be away for longer periods during the day.

If we're staying at a state park or COE park I don't think we'll be able to use a local sitter. Has anyone used a service like rover.com?

Our guys are pretty laid back, they get excited when they hear the key in the door.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

KO
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the TempStick.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
eb145 wrote:
Normy wrote:
eb145 wrote:
I use the RV Whisper temperature monitorRV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.

so this works great, no issues using yet?

Thanks

No issues with it yet. I have a Temp Stick also, but the temp stick batteries kept dying too quickly for me so I stopped using it after a few months. The RV Whisper system runs off of a USB charging station I hardwired to the RV 12V system so it and my Verizon jetpack are always on.

I am curious as to what you have or had your temp stik set on if you use batteries fast. I just changed mine yesterday and it had been on since last October. Mine is set on to check every hour when we are home and when travelling AND leaving Lucky and Lucie by themselves I set it to check every 15 mins. When we get back to the fiver I reset it to check every hour.

That is a good idea, changing the check time to 15 minutes only when necessary. I think I had it set to 15 minutes which does drain the batteries much faster than the 1 hour default time. The RV Whisper gadget logs temperature data every 5 minutes which I like a lot. I like to be able to check the temperature remotely on hot days and seeing more current data makes me feel better. I always worry about alerts getting lost, so I like being able to check the temperature and see data that is no more than a few minutes old.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
eb145 wrote:
Normy wrote:
eb145 wrote:
I use the RV Whisper temperature monitorRV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.

Thanks

No issues with it yet. I have a Temp Stick also, but the temp stick batteries kept dying too quickly for me so I stopped using it after a few months. The RV Whisper system runs off of a USB charging station I hardwired to the RV 12V system so it and my Verizon jetpack are always on.

I am curious as to what you have or had your temp stik set on if you use batteries fast. I just changed mine yesterday and it had been on since last October. Mine is set on to check every hour when we are home and when travelling AND leaving Lucky and Lucie by themselves I set it to check every 15 mins. When we get back to the fiver I reset it to check every hour.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:

My mini dachshund is a good boy for the most part, but he does have some separation anxiety when camping and not at home.

We just adopted a 9 year old Yorkie who loves camping but barks at every little noise when we are separated and left in the camper. As you can imagine, the Yorkie then sets off the mini dachshund. We only camped with him this past Memorial weekend so we have no other camping history with him. He loves his mom and can't stand being left out of camping fun. They are both fine at home and have a routine, so no issues at home.

We always took a big long walk before we left our Aussie and Cattle Dog behind. Tired dogs tend to be good dogs 🙂 We took a 7.5 hr Glacier boat tour while in Alaska (A bit longer than I like to leave my dogs, but they are good guys!) First, we did a hike around the outskirts of Valdez.....they were STILL sound asleep when we returned. Seemed sort of offended that our arrival interrupted their nap.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
eb145 wrote:

Thanks

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is Temp Stik. Easy to set up and easy to use. I think it is around 130 bucks for everything.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Not applicable
eb145 wrote:

Thanks
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

Not applicable
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
I purchased a temp stik that monitors temp, connection and humidityI purchased a temp stik that monitors temp, connection and humidity. Since we have been travelling with Lucky and Lucie for years we know they do not bark just wait patiently for us to return. I set it on checking every 15 mins and always have our mi-fi fully charged for the internet connection. If the temps goes over my setpoint it sends a text and e mail to both my and the DW phone. If that occurs we leave and go directly back to the fiver. I might add that we always try to stay within 30 to 45 mins of whatever point of interest we are visting on this account.

Is this the brand name?
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

Not applicable
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
Normy wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, we used pet sitters at some of the camp grounds. They met us and our dog one day before being left with the sitters. They were walked, fed, played with, and stayed in my trailer with their own dog beds, dog dishes, Etc. More comfortable in their own surroundings. We also found pet groomers who came to the camp grounds. We had a pet sitter in New York and in Alaska.

You had good luck then? Were you a bit worried about security and/or leaving them with individuals? Was this a service the campground provided either as their service or they know these people and gave you their contact info, someone they trust to be at your site or staying in their campground as well?

Thanks
Normy

🙂 Hi, the pet sitter in New York was recommended by the owners of the camp ground. They were long term residents. Like six months at a time. They also had their own dogs.

The pet sitter in Alaska was also highly recommended by the owners of the camp ground. We were told by the owners and the young girl pet sitter that her Dad was a Doctor and this girl was a student to become a Veterinarian.

We left both of the sitters a key to our trailer and came home each evening to a happy dog.

Thanks, I'm going to check into this with the campgrounds. Also, I was sent a link called Rover.com that offers sitting and other services throughout the lower 48.

I think we maybe touring longer than 6 hours on some of the days and if my boys come with us, I will need a "service" for them.

Thanks
Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I use the RV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our dog in the RV. She's happy and feels secure. I do have a temperature alert that lets me know of a power outage, temperature rise & humidity, a hidden key outside, a dog leash inside next to the entrance, the phone number of the office in case of an emergency. Oh My, what we do for our pets, LOL.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, we used pet sitters at some of the camp grounds. They met us and our dog one day before being left with the sitters. They were walked, fed, played with, and stayed in my trailer with their own dog beds, dog dishes, Etc. More comfortable in their own surroundings. We also found pet groomers who came to the camp grounds. We had a pet sitter in New York and in Alaska.

You had good luck then? Were you a bit worried about security and/or leaving them with individuals? Was this a service the campground provided either as their service or they know these people and gave you their contact info, someone they trust to be at your site or staying in their campground as well?

Thanks
Normy

🙂 Hi, the pet sitter in New York was recommended by the owners of the camp ground. They were long term residents. Like six months at a time. They also had their own dogs.

The pet sitter in Alaska was also highly recommended by the owners of the camp ground. We were told by the owners and the young girl pet sitter that her Dad was a Doctor and this girl was a student to become a Veterinarian.

We left both of the sitters a key to our trailer and came home each evening to a happy dog.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Not applicable
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
I purchased a temp stik that monitors temp, connection and humidity. Since we have been travelling with Lucky and Lucie for years we know they do not bark just wait patiently for us to return. I set it on checking every 15 mins and always have our mi-fi fully charged for the internet connection. If the temps goes over my setpoint it sends a text and e mail to both my and the DW phone. If that occurs we leave and go directly back to the fiver. I might add that we always try to stay within 30 to 45 mins of whatever point of interest we are visting on this account.

That's a great idea!

My mini dachshund is a good boy for the most part, but he does have some separation anxiety when camping and not at home.

We just adopted a 9 year old Yorkie who loves camping but barks at every little noise when we are separated and left in the camper. As you can imagine, the Yorkie then sets off the mini dachshund. We only camped with him this past Memorial weekend so we have no other camping history with him. He loves his mom and can't stand being left out of camping fun. They are both fine at home and have a routine, so no issues at home.

This is a big trip for us, we usually do local, so I'm concerned we might tour further out and want to be sure they are quite and safe.
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy