cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying wine into Canada

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting ready to cross from Maine to New Brunswick in our motorhome and plan to stay 10-14 days. We have 20 or 25 bottles of wine stored under our bed. We don't plan to drink many of them during our stay. Obviously didn't plan this very well.

I suspect we may have to pay duty on them even though most of them will still be unopened when we leave. Any idea what the duty is on wine and hard liquor over what's allowed? Any of you had experience with carrying alcohol into Canada? Or can you give me any insights about what crossing the border into New Brunswick is like in terms of documents required and declarations made? Haven't gone into Canada in six years or so and it was easy then but could be different now.
Craig
20 REPLIES 20

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
JaxDad, Good to know and it sounds like a update to the in-transient policy that I posted about.

Perhaps someone knows the restrictions/limits for this policy.

Itโ€™s not an โ€˜updateโ€™, its been in effect for decades. In order to be able to transit โ€œin bondโ€ you must be a bonded commercial carrier.

Basically itโ€™s โ€˜personal useโ€™ non-commercial quantities. Itโ€™s meant for exactly the OPโ€™s situation, a private citizen passing through Canada and will likely be leaving with at least some of what theyโ€™re entering with.

Most people donโ€™t realize that all sorts of taxes and duties are refundable upon exiting Canada. The same applies for us Canucks heading back north.

The only caveat is that if you get a refund on a purchase, not on something you imported then leave with again, you of course have to declare it on the other side.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
JackD wrote:
Quebec Providence

Providence ????

Well, I guess it's better than 'Quebec State'! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad, Good to know and it sounds like a update to the in-transient policy that I posted about.

Perhaps someone knows the restrictions/limits for this policy.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
romore wrote:
I overheard a conversationat at a duty free store, a lady wanted to cross into Canada with more than the allowable amount. She was told the excess would be taxed at 3X the value.

We are talking about taxes and duties, not penalties. I believe what you overheard was what it would cost you if you DIDNT declare it. The taxes and duties are the same for everyone, so you would just be โ€˜playing catch upโ€™ to make your costs the same as anyone else importing the same stuff.

BTW, if you tell them youโ€™re leaving with it, they can set you up for a โ€˜casual importer refundโ€™. They document what you are bringing in, then on the way out with it you apply for the refund.

Casual Import Refund

JackD
Explorer
Explorer
Quebec Providence

Providence ????

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
We donated $110 to Quebec Providence a couple of years ago. Believe we had 6 bottles of wine and 2 cartons of cigarettes more than we were allowed.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever amount of wine you end up taking into Canada, make sure and tell them it is "for personal consumption". If it is a gift, or being left in Canada, it's all taxable.
In my experience the border agents have "helped me" with this issue.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the first campground you plan on staying when you leave Canada? Call them and ask if you can ship it there. I don't know if that would be economically feasable but just a thought.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
romore wrote:
I overheard a conversationat at a duty free store, a lady wanted to cross into Canada with more than the allowable amount. She was told the excess would be taxed at 3X the value.
If correct that would be a substantial increase from several years ago.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would pull over somewhere just before the border and sit there while I guzzled it all down, then head on over...........Doh!
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
There does seem to be a bit of flexibility with regard to the official duty free limits when it comes to both boats and RVs. I have often heard a term similar to 'Usual bar amounts for the RV/boat' I've heard this personally and also on the TV 'Border' series.
I don't know if that many bottles would qualify for this though?
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Sounds like you may be hosting a party today.

Good answer. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Storage in the US would be the best option in this writerโ€™s opinion. Minor nuisance would be you need to backtrack to retrieve it vs exploring a totally new road. Or ship it to another US location if itโ€™s the good stuff and worth doing that.

Canadaโ€™s tax is high on beer wine and spirits.