cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ecoboost new to me

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna look at a 2016 Ford F 150 tomorrow with the 2.7L V6. I don't know anything about the engine and hope you guys can enlighten me. I tow a 2010 Coleman Dinesty tent trailer, I think its about 2400 pounds (its new to me too) Atre there any issues I should be concerned about with this engine, either in towing or reliability?
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.
17 REPLIES 17

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2.7 and it is a great engine. Plenty of power, very responsive. And decent fuel economy too. Mine is a 2017 so I have the 6 sped transmission.

Sooooo much better than my old GM 5.3 v8 with the 4 speedboat auto.
Jeep and Explorer

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2.7 is nearly as quick as the 3.5 empty and gives an extra couple of mpg over the 3.5. For the trailer that you are towing it is the better choice. I own two 3.5s, one with 80,000 miles and the other with 27,000. My brother owns a fairly new 2.7. Both 3.5s have been exposed to a variety of tasks from commuter work to heavy towing, over 10,000lbs. I change oil about 8,000 miles with the computer still showing around 20% oil life left. No issues so far. I feared that I had an issue when the truck kept shuddering on take off while pulling a heavy trailer. Then I noticed the black marks on the road behind me so I backed off the throttle a little while in first gear. It smoothed up and no more black marks, well, not as many. Since I noticed that the Walmart near me sells Motorcraft synthetic oil at a reasonable price I plan to switch to it at the next oil change.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
The 2.7 is a good engine, you can safely tow up to 5000 pounds unless it has the payload package, then you are good for up to 7000 pounds. You will get good MPG when not towing too. Just make sure the one you are looking at has the service records and that the oil was changed regularly. I have experience with the 3.5 EB and after 6 of them, can tell you they don't like short trips as gas gets in the oil unless it is driven for long periods, meaning 30 minutes or more to get fully hot. I have put about 200K or more between them all, and never had an engine issue. They are very strong reliable engines when cared for.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I admit that I have fat arthritic fingers. That should have been 95 degrees.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
This was in 954 degree heat with the A/C running constantly.

Wow...you must have been visiting the planet Mercury:E
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could have almost towed that trailer with my Subaru Forester. You have enough truck.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Check the ratings but should be plenty of truck for popup.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don’t have any personal experience with the 2.7 EBs at all, but bythe numbers it will tow ALOT more than the little popup.
Shouldn’t even break a sweat with that trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I own a 3.5L Ecoboost and pull a TT with a loaded weight of 3000 poundss
. We just got back from a 6000 mile trip throughout the eastern part of the US and we had no problems. I agree that the mountains in the east are mot anything like the west, but, the truck handled everything without breaking a sweat. I kept track of the tranny temp, never above 210 degrees, and the engine temp never moved. This was in 954 degree heat with the A/C running constantly. The gentleman that I bought the truck from bought a 2018 that was set up exactly like the one he sold me. I thin that says a lot about the truck.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Look also at YouTube with TFL trucks. They did a test with the 2.7 and I think it performed really well up the Ike. Good luck, post some pics if you get it.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be more than fine with that truck towing a popup.
And depending on its specs, it should easily handle a small TT.
No need for the 3.5 Ecoboost unless you plan on a bigger trailer in your future.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s a solid platform. Google Ecoboost problems. What you will find is that they are pretty much problem free IF THEY ARE PROPERLY MAINTAINED.

Turbos make for a very hot engine compartment and stressed oil. If the oil was changed properly should be ok. Do you feel lucky?

Personally I would pursue the V8.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, that;s encouraging.
Lee
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I have several friends with EB engines, all very reliable. One has the 2.7 and its a very strong engine. You should be good with such a light trailer.

I agree.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board