cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open the “doghouse” on a Winnie Sightseer/Chalet?

wheezerjeeper
Explorer
Explorer
I am having charging issues on my ‘08 Winnebago Chalet (Sightseer) built on a ‘07 Ford V10 gas chassis. I would like to remove the alternator for testing as well as check the wiring. This would be much easier to do with access through the doghouse. Does anyone have ideas how to open the doghouse?
We are living aboard and currently registered “non-operational” so taking it to a shop is not possible at this time.
The chassis battery is a new Optima Redtop that is not charging during engine runs.
Thanks for your help.
4 REPLIES 4

wheezerjeeper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your tips and tricks, it helped a lot. We (my wife) were able to find the latch release and get the lid off. I was right, it was a much easier job with access from above. Our latch release was located on the vertical, aft facing surface of the lid, an inch or two right of center.
The alternator was bad, has been changed and we’ll see how it goes from here. Thanks again for your help.

Warner and Pamela

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Us a very skinny phillips screwdriver, awl, or some other probe to search the areas mentioned on the front of the doghouse. The carpet hides the darn thing. It takes a large allen wrench once you find it.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Looking towards the dash, there is a hole on the front of the doghouse near the floor. Feel around and you'll find it. Then you have to find the appropriate sized hex wrench (maybe 1/2?) to turn the lever through that hole. Then lift up from the front and pull it out of the rear brackets. Hope this helps.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
It most likely requires a 5/16" hex key wrench (Allen wrench) inserted either in the center of the rear facing vertical portion of the dog house, or in the top surface of the dog house a couple inches from the rear edge. The access hole can be a bit hard to locate through the carpet, especially if it has not been accessed in quite a while. Winnebago supplied a 90 degree hex wrench with the coach. There might also be a couple screws on the front sides of the doghouse.

Poke around in the center of the top about 2 inches from the rear edge in the center and along the center of the rear edge until you find the hole for the wrench. Insert a 5/16" allen wrench and turn counter clockwise to open the latch. My experience is that the front screws (if so installed) can be removed and discarded.

Good luck-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler